Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Does It, 'never Happen Where You Are '

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Is it only me or do other members of the forum get the impression that when the really interesting weather is about, I'm thinking here of torrential downpours, thunderstorms, areas of persistent heavy rain/snow etc, that it always seems to be 'somewhere else' and not where you are.

How many times have I seen vicious looking showers, developing in a line over north Wales, move east and retain their intensity into Staffordshire, break up over Derbyshire and re-develop over Notts and Lincs?

How many times have intense downpours or thunderstorms been heading right for my location and then strangely change direction slightly at the last moment to affect somewhere about 5 miles away?

I've lost count of the number of times that persistent heavy rain has been forecast a couple of days away and has then mysteriously shifted north or south with 12 hours to go.

Why is it that a front stalling over Scotland or northern England produces two days of continuous rain and 80-100mm of precipitation but when one stalls over Derbyshire it's so weak it can barely manage 2mm of showery rain and drizzle?

Are there some of you out there who think, 'Why is it always me who gets the torrential rain, the violent thunderstorm, the severe gale etc etc and not somewhere else?'

Of course there are occasions when there's a 'direct hit' but they seem to number about one in every several hundred potential situations. Perhaps it's a case of having too much information at our fingertips so that we're able to see every last detail of what's happening and are therefore more aware of who is actually getting the worst of it, whereas 20 years ago or more ignorance would have been bliss.

It may be that there are dozens of you out there thinking, 'I wish I lived where T.M is, he always seems to get the interesting weather' whereas I'm sitting here thinking the same about you.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

All the time, TM...That's why I pestered my dad to explain to me the geographic location of 'elsewhere.' :):drinks:

Posted

Warwick frequently misses out on or gets much less snow than surrounding areas. My friend showed me a satellite image of most of the UK covered in snow and there was a tiny green area where Warwick was.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Certainly can be similar here. Take last winter which is held up as a snowy one - it wasn't here! The bands of showers passed all around us but rarely over us hence only getting about 5mm in the whole snowy period. However, if there are rogue rain showers around in summer they're bound to pass over - and usually as I'm leaving work!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

I'll tell you what really depressed me.....6th Jan 2010. Continuous snow showers fed in one after the other about 15 miles north of us.....this gave parts of Manchester a foot of snow. We missed the shower trains blowing in off the Irish Sea and ended up with about 2 inches in total. VERY annoying.

Also I have noticed that storms seems to develop all around us but never actually affect here!

Posted

It definitely feels like that here sometimes. Last winter we were always in the gap between bands of snow showers and this summer we've missed out on thunderstorms in much the same way. More annoyingly, we also miss out on more extreme temperatures due to having water on two sides.

I saved a radar sequence from August 2008 showing a huge thunderstorm and how it missed here, it brought a new meaning to the word 'Forcefield':

post-2418-096190100 1282658737_thumb.gif

HU1 is Hull city centre, I actually live 8 miles to the east of there so we even missed out on the lighter rain on the edge of the cell, it remained bone-dry here!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

It definitely feels like that here sometimes. Last winter we were always in the gap between bands of snow showers and this summer we've missed out on thunderstorms in much the same way. More annoyingly, we also miss out on more extreme temperatures due to having water on two sides.

I saved a radar sequence from August 2008 showing a huge thunderstorm and how it missed here, it brought a new meaning to the word 'Forcefield':

HU1 is Hull city centre, I actually live 8 miles to the east of there so we even missed out on the lighter rain on the edge of the cell, it remained bone-dry here!

That really is shocking! Look how it just skirts around

Posted

Yes! Just hoping this winter we a country wide weather event for everyone to get involved with! Hopefully a beast from the East.......please. A whole country event will stop the moaning on here at least! Mark my words!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

I'm sure there's a market for this information....Do a member survey, collate all the info then offer the info to upmystreet,com or something similar. Folk house hunting can either seek or avoid specific locations, depending upon their preference.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

I reckon we had all the interesting weather in 2007. Since then the number of times Snow, TStorms and heavy rain just haven't turned up is amazing. One day the thundery showers were circulating around us. Nice and sunny here and by the time the Low got a move on the sun had gone and so had the showers.

Reef I love that storm.

Years ago had a huge storm move up from the south. Boltek going crazy never had such a high lightening count before or since. Started well enough two houses struck in the first half hour then nothing happened bar light rain. Looked at radar the storm had split in two with the narrowest of splits but enough to get this area of Sheffield through.

Posted

The fact is these things don't happen often anywhere in the UK. This climate is not known for any type of interesting/extreme weather. If it does happen (and usually in a very half baked manner) it often falls down to chance. Sometimes you go can ages without anything interesting and then a few things happen all at once like snow events or good storms. Those times people remember foundly when we "used to get storms, etc" when initially forecast are few and far between and generally a rarity in this climate, which is partly why people remember particular events so well. The same in Oklahoma would probably be forgotton after 2 seconds as their average storms are far worse than our most severe.

The main thing to say is if you want a climate where there's good snow in winter, gales, severe convective spring/summer thunderstorms and hail, and lots of sunshine, go to South Dakota or Colorado. dry.gif

Edited by RichardR

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Blimey, Reef, that's almost in a league of it's own. I feel much better now.

I must admit I have few complaints when it comes to snow although occasionally in a north westerly there will be heavy snow showers a few miles north west of here and we get nothing.

My main gripe is regarding heavy convective showers, thunderstorms or areas of continuous heavy rain. Many people would regard missing such events as a bonus but I love rain and constantly feel cheated.

Looking at it logically I must get rain when others don't otherwise I wouldn't have an annual average rainfall of 1050 mm when the surrounding lower areas get only 700-800mm; it just doesn't seem like it, or it seems as though other places nearby are getting more than their fair share.

Posted

I was in Lincoln that August, where they got a good storm from that, but I had my week's holiday in France that week (first week of August). There were no storms during my week in France. :whistling:

Posted

I think this blatantly happens to everyone at some point hence the great interest in Weather in our country compared to most nations. Because our weather is so diverse and can differ with ever mile or meter it seems to keep us all on our toes and gives us alot to keep up with.

Posted

Nothing ever happens here. It's always a case of so near yet so far. They ought to do away with our regional forecast and just issue a blanket,standard one which simply states "mainly dry with sunny spells". The instances I've sat here with hardly a breath of wind outside and soft blue skies with birds twittering happily etc while the TeeVee pictures show cars floating down the street,must run into the thousands. PIT,we're not a million miles apart and you're right; the dearth of thunder in the last few years is incredible. The infamous flood of 2007 barely touched my locale,but I remember watching agog the TeeVee pictures and wondering if they were coming from the same country,let alone county.....

Posted
  • Location: Coleraine,Macosquin,County Londonderry, Northern Ireland
  • Location: Coleraine,Macosquin,County Londonderry, Northern Ireland

Yes every time i get excited for snow i either wake up with nothing, a dusting of crap or drizzle and a foot of snow above me..closedeyes.gif This winter was awfull, like half a degree from snow and everytime it left it got too like -5c that night... i was expecting loads of snow because of the cold but it either rose a degree or the snow skirted around me or it was light crap, i was so sick of people right beside the sea or wayy south of me getting more snow than meclosedeyes.gifclosedeyes.gif i really hate it when that happens especially when they never shut up about it... and BRAG about it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

We miss out on an awful lot of exciting weather. Occasionally we can strike lucky such as the 29th June 2009 storm which was the only one in the country.

However 99% of the time we miss out on a lot and i reckon our rainfall totals are signifcantly lower than many places e.g 5/10 miles away.

Posted

Being from Upton upon Severn we do tend to get a lot of flooding when the severn bursts its banks. I dont consider it freakish now though, just another day in Upton almost. Shame I cannot say the same for snow. Is this a case for most people of "grass is always greener on the other side" though?

Posted

Erm... by the looks of it I'm an exception to the rule.

Summer

- Similar temperatures at times with the SE, most notable being how places in NW England haven't seen 21.c+ in July, yet here there has been 25.c+ on several separate occasions.

- Usually quite a wet place, but has a good balance of Sun and Rain.

- Maybe down to just luck, but typically experience a good number of storms, 5 so far this summer (Thunder, Lightning etc).

- Ridges of high pressure typically extend to Yorkshire

Autumn

- Far enough north to be affected by Atlantic lows, living on high ground adds to the intensity of the storms (wind-speed etc).

- Again high-pressure can ridge far enough north to give some fine-warm Autumn weather.

Winter

- Frontal snow usually affects here, been central and on high ground.

- Close enough to the sea to be affected by showers in easterlies, far enough inland not to be affected by the warming effect of the north sea.

- Sat in a gap in the Pennines, meaning showers from NW Winds affect here, this is fairly localized to just the Leeds area (In Yorkshire).

- Marginal snow-fall rarely an issue.

The only negative notes is that Winter Min's are never below -5/-6.c, but day-time temperatures are usually cold in winter. Also we don't really do that well in channel lows, with this area usually achieving a few Cm's. But overall the negatives out-way the positives, I'm not been too bothered about night-time lows and Channel lows only affect usually once every winter, although I would prefer to get the snow-depths Midlands achieve in this setup.

Edited by 10123

Posted

We don't really have any of these issues, we even seem to be more lucky than a lot of places round here. :rolleyes:

I'll second that, jan 1997 = gust 104 MPH, last summer 14 T-storms, last winter coldest recorded for 33 yrs + 22" snow total recorded from all snow events (17" lying at deepest point) this summer 8 T-storms of which one dropped 74mm rain in 75 mins (not updated my signature yet, nor can I be bothered anymore) BRING ON AUTUM!!!

Edited by Chassisbot

Posted

17 inches of snow or Cm's?

Edited by 10123

It may be that there are dozens of you out there thinking, 'I wish I lived where T.M is, he always seems to get the interesting weather' whereas I'm sitting here thinking the same about you.

No offence TM but there may be dozens thinking they wished they lived where you live but there are probably thousands who wish they didn't.

Stalling fronts are quite frequent where I live, we had a silly discussion at the start of winter 09/10 on the Scottish thread about how occlusions were mince and then suffered the consequences of a couple of stalling occlusions which deposited copious amounts of snow/sleet/rain. What did we know?

And that was nothing compared to the stalling front in Feb '96.

You need to move house, quickly.

The only thing I haven't had in recent years is a decent windstorm (gusts of 100mph), but if my research is anything to go by we will get this within the next 1-5 years.

Edited by CatchMyDrift