Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective Weather General Discussion

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Explosive radar at the moment (00.30) wonder if there is any storms in with that torrential activity to the SW

IOW lightning picking up some weak strikes close to SW england.

Last recorded activity 01:01

Intensity class Weak

Intensity trend No change

Current strikerate 1/minute

Peak strikerate 2/minute

Total recorded strikes 13

Edited by Marcus_surfer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

darker nights now means we can get earlier light shows! , just less ground heating time available, but think about march and april time(in normal thundery springs) it dont affect the storm intensity, and could see hail covering the ground this week!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Just to report ,Altocumulus Cas, very well organised, bubbling up in rows, orange and white tops, i would think thunderstorms within 24-36hrs breaking out across the SE.

Edited by nimbilus

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Well, SW about to be smacked yet again but some rather ominous looking radar returns!

I have to say, I'm very impressed with the BBC graphics of late as they seem to have got the pulse intensities and locations pretty spot on thus far!! :nonono:

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

The sky has that 'thundery' rain look this morning, warm and humid too, with the sun poking through and occasional moderate bursts of rain.

Posted

I think tomorrow has more potential, maybe later tonight in western areas?

gfs_spout_eur30.png

Posted

Am surprised by this rapidly intensifying feature near the SE at the moment! Judging by the isolation and rate of intensification, it wouldn't surprise me if this turned electric soon!

Posted

Am surprised by this rapidly intensifying feature near the SE at the moment! Judging by the isolation and rate of intensification, it wouldn't surprise me if this turned electric soon!

It's a developing warm front - it will continue to move northwards whilst extending northwestwards during the afternoon until it joins up with the large cold front out west later today :)

Some nice echoes, should be here within the hour.

Skies don't look that thundery tbh, very high, flat and thin white cloud, so looks like just some heavy rain.

10090612_0512.gif

Edit: The cold front has a very nice, well-defined back edge though! :blink:

post-11178-085780500 1283775393_thumb.gi

Edited by staplehurst

Posted

Very interesting to run the radar from this morning to see how slowly the heavy rain is edging Eastwards, although of course

pulsing quickly S-N along the front, while the developing warm front has appeared quickly and is forming a finger laying

SSE-WNW towards the main band.

Posted

It's a developing warm front - it will continue to move northwards whilst extending northwestwards during the afternoon until it joins up with the large cold front out west later today :)

Some nice echoes, should be here within the hour.

Skies don't look that thundery tbh, very high, flat and thin white cloud, so looks like just some heavy rain.

Edit: The cold front has a very nice, well-defined back edge though! :blink:

Have to say, in the last 5-10 minutes the skies here having been looking a bit more thundery in nature - lots Ac and a milkiness which is turning increasingly darker...will be interesting to see if anything comes of it...nice heavy rainfall at the moment...we don't often get anything quite so interesting from Warm Fronts in the UK, unlike the US which get blinding supercells :)

Edited by Harry

Posted

A loud solitary crack of thunder here in NW London appox 35 minutes ago, most unexpected given mid level cloud cover

Are you sure it wasn't the electrical spark of an underground train? :blink:

No of course, sorry to question that today! :)

Posted

Good afternoon...

Just as I open this thread a flash and a rumble out of the blue. :blink:

Gentle/moderate rain under high based cloud, none of which looks particularly unstable, despite earlier evidence of an unstable mid layer. Unexpected from a warm front.

Edited by Free Three

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Raining here but nothing major. The rain is not as heavy as the radar suggests, why is this?

Posted

A nice long rumble of thunder here but no lightning, the skies are really featureless, grey and dismal, still raining but not that hard!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, humid & exciting

Had a solitary rumble and brief shower here in Reading at ~1.30pm as that feature passed over. So unexpected. The cb was recognisible only as a darker patch in the sky, not very dramatic although the rain shaft was visible. Most of which never made it to ground. Skies continue to be totally overcast here with the milky muggy look of plume days of yore.

Just remembered I need to change my location in profile to Reading! Sorry Gloucester people, I have deserted you, Im almost tempted to call myself a part of the SE now, ill certainly be there more often next summer :blink:

Posted

Are you sure it wasn't the electrical spark of an underground train? :unsure:

No of course, sorry to question that today! :doh:

Not quite sure what youre getting at there coast but I will again confirm a solitary loud crack of thunder here in Middlesex/NW London at approximately 1400 hours.

Posted

Just had a deep rumble of thunder here! Looking dark towards the West. Also to starting to rain.

Just had a deep rumble of thunder here! Looking dark towards the West. Also to starting to rain.

And another one!

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Odd rumble predicted by the forecast I've just seen as the front moved north. Looks beautiful on the radar but if it's like previous fronts no match for the Sheffield shield so it'll be shredded to reform just to the north of us.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Had some thundery looking skies here earlier. West Midlands in a very good position for tomorrow. :doh:

NW saying 71% risk of a storm tomorrow. Quite rare it goes above 50. :unsure:

Edited by Blizzards

Posted

No thunder but certainly 'thundery' rain!

16mm in the past 3 hours.

Posted

All looking good for some ive read for tuesday, goodluck on the storms if they materializ ,maybe some heading into the se as we go through the day and evening.

just have to wait for the early model runs ,hope to see a storm forecast out later for us all!

Edited by nimbilus