Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Gulf Stream Is Weakening Or Breaking Apart :d ?

Hi guys new to the forum,

I have no scientific background and no knowledge just a fascination with the weather and science!

i just want the experts thoughts on the findings that the oil spill has since the 12th of june until now slowed the gulf loop current, most mainstream scientists expect the current to sort itself out pretty soon but as we have no comparable disaster there are worries we can not be so sure.

It is thought the stalling has effected the gulf stream and is a big player in the pakistan and china floods as the gulf stream has gone further south and changed shape since the 12th of june.

could this effect our climate leading into winter and beyond????

Here is a supporting link......

http://yowusa.com/earth/2010/earth-0810-01a/1.shtm

Posted

I'd like to see more compelling evidence before making any judgement on it's longer term effects.

Anybody have a source to temperature anomalies within the Gulf Stream?

Posted

It is thought the stalling has effected the gulf stream and is a big player in the pakistan and china floods as the gulf stream has gone further south and changed shape since the 12th of june.

could this effect our climate leading into winter and beyond????

Here is a supporting link......

http://yowusa.com/earth/2010/earth-0810-01a/1.shtm

At first glance this looks a bit far fetched?! Is there anything to it?

Yikes ....I can see the express headlines now "Gulf stream heads south..snowmageddon for UK!!" :rolleyes:

Edited by Kiwi

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

At first glance this looks a bit far fetched?! Is there anything to it?

Yikes ....I can see the express headlines now "Gulf stream heads south..snowmageddon for UK!!" :lol:

Well they've also got to link into global warming. How about "Global Warming causes oil rig blow out forcing the already weakened Gulf Stream to close down"

Leading Scientists say Britain will freeze to death due to the BP disaster finally forcing the Gulf Stream to close down. The Gulf stream already weakened by Global warming was finally closed today after extremely warm waters caused failures in the BP rig. Blah Blah Blah

Edited by The PIT

Posted

gulf_100714_vel.gif

Looking at this cool image it looks like the stream is breaking apart, still strong to the west, but pretty weak the more east you go.

ok i didnt just make this thread on this, but is there any more evidence on this actually happening? wouldnt it be so cool if it shut dow. haha!

heres another good link with images from this time last year to now.

http://beforeitsnews.com/story/128/672/Special_Post.html

Edited by snowlover2009

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

I need to see some more facts and figures.

why has it weakened, how much different is it from this time last year to today, the cause, affect on worldweather, will it affect the uk temps this winter?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Any more info?

must be an massive impact on world weather patterns then?

it would interesting to see the ocean temps of the gulf stream now and last year.