Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm General Discussion Thread

J10

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Wow. What an interesting night ahead for some people. It's really calm here, not a breath of wind. Theres plenty of rain to come for the South tonight. South Wales may miss the worse though.

Posted

Should I tie my runner beans (apple tree, plums, garden chairs etc. etc.?) There is so much leaf and fruit on many peoples trees and shrubs it potentially could be very damaging.

Had many alerts from MO that have been damp squibs. From radar pictures something interesting coming in.

H

Posted

Wow. What an interesting night ahead for some people. It's really calm here, not a breath of wind. Theres plenty of rain to come for the South tonight. South Wales may miss the worse though.

Yeah looks as though most of Wales will get missed but SE Wales should get something - NAE is pointing to 20-30mm for SE Wales.

EDIT: Possibly upto 40mm for SE.

Edited by jamo_s

can this event be compared to 2007 ?

Ah yes, the event that inspired this name, had around 2 inches then.

Could be close!

Thursday also looking wet and windy.

Incidentally is this the thread for the coming storm, when i thought this was usually for thunderstorm discussion?

Posted

radar showing mass of pink near cornwall ,devon could be the first problem area

Posted

From what Ian was saying earlrer, i could be right in line for the good stuff! about time as we have had no Thunderstorms, and very little rain or showers this summer

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Can't believe people are getting excited over what is to be some rain and a bit of wind!... Wonder if it will be a damp squib :p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Yeah looks as though most of Wales will get missed but SE Wales should get something - NAE is pointing to 20-30mm for SE Wales.

EDIT: Possibly upto 40mm for SE.

Great! how do we manage to go for weeks with hardly a drop of rain, to having too much rain?? Luckily i live on a small hill, so it doesn't flood here! can't say the same for the river in town though!!

Posted

Looking forward to this beast arriving here tonight, first bit of real action for months now! Working tomorrow on the buses so could be an interesting start to the day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow

Yes south Wales should miss the worst of the rain, though looking at the latest NAE and GFS some heavier pulses of rain are likely in SE Wales.

Posted

Great! how do we manage to go for weeks with hardly a drop of rain, to having too much rain?? Luckily i live on a small hill, so it doesn't flood here! can't say the same for the river in town though!!

I know, last month we were close to drought and no we could be close to flood. Man I hate the weather :lol:

A Quick reminder though using last winter as an example, fronts can end up 50 miles or more off course even at this closeness to the event and that could make a big difference as to overall rainfall totals.

Posted

Whats that I read on earlier storm discussion thread about a hurricane?

There is a possability of the remnants of tropical storm 6 interacting with uk systems, but many days away if at all,

some of the guy's on the worldwide severe thread will no more,

Dallas

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

I wonder what will happen when it hits land.

Looks like the heavy stuff is staying in position out to sea.. So land may have quite an odd effect on it?

More convection?

No convection?

More rain?

Less?

Posted

Whats that I read on earlier storm discussion thread about a hurricane?

I think that'll be the remnants of a hurricane if anything.... Lets not go down the whole hurricane or 'mini hurricane' route on this UK based forum please!!!! :lol:

Posted

NW will miss out, again! Guys you best get some videos up! :lol:

BBC forecasts heavy showers running up Ireland and the Irish Sea in the early Morning, as well as up through Western Scotland throughout the day as the Low exits into the North Sea towards Norway. These in themselves could be heavy/thundery in nature so us Northern/NW'erners shouldn't write this event off (for us) just yet.

Big numbers for 24 hours rainfall in the south and midlands

http://expert.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/nae/2010/08/22/basis12/ukuk/rsum/10082312_2212.gif

Here's hoping for similar numbers after an extremely cold spell in the middle of winter, leading to it falling as snow :lol:

Posted

i could be right in line for the good stuff!

That may be an unfortunate choice of words as although many of us love extremer weather, we surely don't want another 1987? (even if that were remotely on the cards) :lol: