Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

First Frost!

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

As all models are agreed on some cool isothermic values next week, i thought it would be time to open this thread because somewhere in Scotland may be able to sneak in at below 0C.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn1442.png

Actually, forget tuesday because Altnaharra is down to 6C already..

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

No chance of a 0c there tonight. It's too cloudy up there at the minute.

Monday looks like Scotland's best bet, but that's a long way off yet.

Not really expecting any air frosts until November at Watford and despite everything which has been said I have not given up on an Indian Summer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Just 4.3C in Tulloch Bridge. Doubt it will drop below 0 though, probably no lower than 2.

Here in Cork it's 12C so no chance of frost tonight, and most likely not in the next 2 months.

Posted

I dropped to 6.4C on Wednesday night, which is the lowest August temp I've recorded since 2007 when it dropped below 7C on nine separate occasions. My lowest August temperature was 3.1C, on August 31st 2004, so some way to go to record an air frost here during the month; September 18th is the earliest I've managed.

Posted

Depends on what you call the "first" frost. First after the solstice? There was an air frost nearly a month ago on 23rd July at Kinbrace.

Posted

Certainly believe there is a good chance of ground frost next week in Highland glens, but doubt any air frost just to wind strength and lack of clear skies.

It will be quite a cool airmass for the time of year.

Posted

Depends on what you call the "first" frost. First after the solstice? There was an air frost nearly a month ago on 23rd July at Kinbrace.

I was not aware of that, thankyou. This thread is basically for anywhere, obviously most of England will not see frost until October at the earliest, but there is a chance that Scotland could get a few readings below 0C before then.

Posted

The first ground frost IMBY last Autumn was 8th October. That was quite early and I will be delighted if I get one as early again this Autumn.

Lovin' all this Autumn talk! :rolleyes:

This thread is basically for anywhere, obviously most of England will not see frost until October at the earliest

Yes for the midlands the average date for the first air frost is late October/early November but ground frost is late September/early October but i have recorded many ground frosts(temps around 3C) in a valley near me this summer in every month so countryside valley areas i'm sure can record air frosts even in September if we get a cool PM airmass followed by a ridge of HP, it is much harder to record frosts in urban areas nowadays before mid October but just outside in the countryside its much easier, i am still amazed how different it feels just a mile or two outside of town even in the summer, walking in built up areas nothing that chilly but you hit the countryside and the chill really hits you especially in low areas.

Posted

Lerwick is forecasted 6C tonight which is suprising considering the oceans are at their warmest now. Tommorow night looks too windy for most to record decent minima, though a few places in Scotland could get into single digits, however the BBC have commented on the low minima likely on tuesday night. GFS forecast minima of 5C for Scotland and Ireland from tuesday night.

Posted
  • Location: Coleraine,Macosquin,County Londonderry, Northern Ireland

Lerwick is forecasted 6C tonight which is suprising considering the oceans are at their warmest now. Tommorow night looks too windy for most to record decent minima, though a few places in Scotland could get into single digits, however the BBC have commented on the low minima likely on tuesday night. GFS forecast minima of 5C for Scotland and Ireland from tuesday night.

We've been having that for weeks here... its not unusual now. Though it is becoming more autumnal now so we are having cooler maxes apparently all week we are going to be having 12c maxes and in the highlands it will be 8 and 9c, is this normal?

Posted

Kirkwall Airport is reporting 7C, though most places are in double digits.

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/

Posted

The 18z has parts of Ireland getting down to just 2C in the early hours of next Wednesday, would be surprised if that happened though. The cloud from Wednesdays depression is just off the coast by then so any change could pretty much scupper the chance of it happening.

Posted

So is this the first below 0.c temperature shown on the GFS since May? ukmintemp.png

First 0.c for N.England

ukmintemp.png

Of course it's semi-FI but there are tentative signs that we will get a weak northerly flow, so these temperatures are maybe not so in-accurate.

Edited by 10123

Posted

I doubt that would come into frutition if it did it could cause a ground frost or grass frost across wales northwards which would be very very significant for august. Also If I remeber rightly tonight was hyped up as a potential very cool night yet it doesn't seem to have come into being.

Posted

Maxima tonight seem to be holding up around 10C even in Scotland so minima will be around 5C. Models show each night being progressively cooler in the north, though Croy is forecast 3C tommorow night and Tuloch Bridge is forecast just 3C on thursday night.

Posted

Much of Ireland below 10C already. Dublin Airport dipped to 8C just a while ago and Cavan is down to 7.3C. So a slight chance of some frost tonight

Posted

Lowest temps overnight around 6C, should be cooler tonight in lighter winds.

Next week still looks favourable for first air frost in coldest locations.

Nothing particularly unusually about that. Probably get a grass frost here but that's not rare given its nearly Autumn :good:

Posted

Dropped to just 3C in both Claremorris and Ballyhaise, so getting ever closer!

Posted

Aye i seen that, castlederg goto 3.8c.. got too 5c here last night as the wind had kept the temp up at about 10c right upto 2am and then it plummeted it was a pity that the temperature didn't drop earlier... i see the gfs has -0c down for ni next tuesday i hope so!!? This autumn is coming far earlier have been having 14/15c maxes for about 1.5 months now.

Posted

:good: Wow, that would've warranted the AGA getting re-lit !!

I tropical 8c at 4am around here.

Posted

the NRA station on n2 in monaghan actually recorded a low of 2.4c last nite.

Posted

the NRA station on n2 in monaghan actually recorded a low of 2.4c last nite.

Oh yeah. The NRA stations aren't showing up on IWN half the time. Monaghan is down to 7.6C already :D