Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

claret047

What A Shambles

My son was on Job Seeker's Allowance as he is currently out of work. Unfortunately a little under 6 weeks ago he fell down the stairs one night when going to the toilet (he was half sleep walking) and badly broke his arm. His doctor has given him a certificate for 3 months but has told him that he can go back to work (if he can find any) before then if his arm is OK. He went down to the Job Centre with his certificate and was told that he would have to come off the Job Seeker's Allowance and go on to Incapacity Benefit instead. They took a copy of his certificate and he had to have forms filled in by them on his behalf as it was his "writing" arm that was broken.

Since then and in spite of repeated visits to the local Job Centre and telephone calls he has not received a penny. Chelmsford Job Centre tell him to telephone Basildon who deal with the benifits side, Basildon tell him that his Job Seeker's Allowance file is still open (although he has not received anything since his accident) and that he should contact Chelmsford and so it goes on with one side playing off against the other.

He is promised that they will call him back but very rarely do and so he has to telephone them again. As we are on Sky calls to the Job Centre are not free and so we are spending a lot of our own money to no avail.

It is a good job that he lives with us or he would have died of starvation by now.

Have other posters on this board experienced similar problems?

We are all going away for a weeks holiday and if it has not been resolved by the time we return home I will arrange a visit to our MP's surgery.

It really does my blood boil that I have paid my taxes & NI contributions for over 45 years and the first time my family has asked for any help we encounter this sort of ineptitude.

Rant over!

Nope used them a few times and they are great people but some people do have problems with claiming sometimes.

And it doesn't matter how many times you've paid into NI. That money you pay does naff all to pay for the services with the ridiculous number of people claiming it and using/abusing the health service.

Contact you MP or change his name and then claim racism. They'll move like grease lightening then.

Yes ive been through it, your son would get every penny owed(how ever long it takes) GO TO JC AND ASK FOR A PAYMENT i think its called an (interim payment?) not sure, their system is confusing when you dont get a payment, but if we owe them money there wont be any delay in them contacting us! its just a change of benefits from JSA to IC OR ESA i dont get why theirs a fuss.

Good luck, i would go to the jc and ask for the payment by counter giro payment thats cashed at a post office, your son must take i.d to collect and cash a giro.

I will try to find this info out for you, Claret047. I have to see a certain person at my own Jokeshop jobcentre on 23rd August and I'll try to clarify your question and demand answers for you.

Edit myself : Forgot to mention that the Gov't cook the books to make unemployment figures look less than what they are. (AKA : Shift to Income Support or Incapacity Benefit!)

Phil.

A visit to the CAB often works wonders,may be well worth a try.

Good news,

When we got back from holiday my son had a letter waiting for him from HMRC confirming his details had now been processed. He checked today and the money back dated to the end of June is now in his bank account.

Being someone who likes to think they know a little bit about the weather I did not do too well in choosing our week's holiday or the destination.

We chose St Mary's in the Isles of Scilly (I O S) and left Penzance by boat on Friday before last. Instead of taking 2.5 hours it took 3 hours 10 minutes through very rough seas with lots of the passengers suffering sea sickness. Luckily we did not but our two sons felt a bit queazy!

On Wednesday St Mary's had the distinction of being the wettest place in Britain. The shops in Huw Town were protecting their shop fronts with sand bags! To balance it out the balance of the remainder of the other days were not as bad and two days were very good.

If anyone has never been to the I O S and are undecided whether to do so or not I would throroughly recommend it. In spite of the weather we had a fantastic time.

Kind regards

Dave

From what I've heard, they either throw money at the undeserving, and give needing people sod all!!

Sounds like New Labour through and through