Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ZONE 51

Recycling Your Rubbish

So do we need all these bins? ok theirs not ten bins but maybe thats the future, ive read that they spy on people! what is it becoming, they think we need to be watched for what we throw out.

In the old days we would have a metal dustbin, all would go in it and the bin workers would take the bag(s).

Just think of the cost, and resources to actually make the plastic bins!

I recycle card,paper,glass,plastic,etc..

We have five bins in this part of Solihull, Nimbilus. (Two wheelie bins and three others for plastic / glass and paper.) And you know what. NONE of it actually gets recycled.

This coming from one of the rubbish collectors who I questioned once. Now over the road, they DO recycle the waste collected, so why not here when all they do is, (and this is true as I've witnessed it myself!) put all your waste into a big blue bin and dispose of it, and like you say, as if it were a metal bin.

Ironic really as the council tax levy is higher here than just across the road. dry.gif Well! I'd like to do a bit of recycling myself. As in you can have your take up garden space and intrusive make the place look a mess plastic back!

Oh I'm not bitter incidentally, just angry that our council are not doing what they should. And council tax... Which pays their wages!!

Phil.

Well had a good system here which is now going. At the moment we got a blur bin for paper emptied once a month normal black bin and a green bin for garden rubbish which is great.

This is now changing. A blue box for paper emptied every two weeks. Green sacks for garden waste the blue bin for certain plastics only.

The sacks are no good for garden waste and the blue box would be perfect for plastics rather than paper.

Sounds like PITS area is doing ok in an organizly way of recycling, but whats happening were PHIL-UK is i dont no, how can you put the stuff in the right bins only for it to be tipped into one big bin!

I think recycling is inportant and we need to do it ,but the unimpressive bin garden dont look or smell good does it, general waste bins should be emptied minimum once a week at least in summer, they stink after 5days!

COUNCIL-ONCE A WK PLEASE!

ITS FORTNIGHTLY HERE,STINK!

Sounds like PITS area is doing ok in an organizly way of recycling, but whats happening were PHIL-UK is i dont no, how can you put the stuff in the right bins only for it to be tipped into one big bin!

I think recycling is inportant and we need to do it ,but the unimpressive bin garden dont look or smell good does it, general waste bins should be emptied minimum once a week at least in summer, they stink after 5days!

COUNCIL-ONCE A WK PLEASE!

ITS FORTNIGHTLY HERE,STINK!

Not really all the recycling is done on the south coast so they load the lorries up and drive down the motorway. Green not really.

Our council is breaking a working system. All it needed to do is introduce a Blue Box for plastics and keep the paper bin as it is. Use common sense for Garden rubbish. If it's a long hot dry summer you don't need fortnightly collections for the garden rubbish as nothing is growing. The other hand wet and warm you'll probably need weekly collections.

So do we need all these bins? ok theirs not ten bins but maybe thats the future, ive read that they spy on people! what is it becoming, they think we need to be watched for what we throw out.

In the old days we would have a metal dustbin, all would go in it and the bin workers would take the bag(s).

Just think of the cost, and resources to actually make the plastic bins!

I recycle card,paper,glass,plastic,etc..

This memo came from work , basically put rubbish in one box and then put that rubbish in another bin end of day /week. Now that 'other' bin there are three of them on the same floor all within 5metres of anyone.

So we have 40 new cardboard or plastic boxes , we fill them then put that stuff in the bigger box we use anyway, i think I'll cut out the middle man.

------------------------

As part of the ‘Lean’ process, which we shall be undertaking fairly soon, we shall be asked to dispense with the old photocopier-paper boxes which we’ve kept under our desks for the purpose of re-cycling paper. These are deemed ‘scruffy’ and, instead, the preference is for us to utilise a small upright plastic box which is kept on the desk top, and into which all confidential paper (anything client-related) is put before being posted into the special re-cycling bins at the end of each day, or week.

However, there are a variety of plastic boxes (different sizes/colours/prices) and before we order a job-lot I thought it would be better to see how everyone fared with the concept. To this end, we now have a number of flat-pack card boxes which I shall distribute. Depending on the success, or otherwise, of this size we’ll have a better idea of what to order.

You will still retain your normal rubbish bins for non-confidential rubbish but as we are charged each time these special recycling bins are emptied - irrespective of how full they are – I now tend to put all my paper rubbish in them.

---------------------

We have fortnightly collections and 3 bins - one for general waste, one for plastic/glass/paper/cardboard and one for green waste. And it is absolutely no problem whatsoever. We've had fortnightly collections for years and never had this mythical problem of being overrun with maggots, flies, rats, dinosaurs etc. that the Daily Mail seems to have created. They also never smell. Even during the height of summer.

I'm all for the scheme, when you see the size of Cannock landfill (which can be seen for miles) you will see why I am so supportive of it. We also have 2 incinerators that are about to be built nearby, I'm fed up of our area being the Midlands dumping ground.

We have fortnightly collections and 3 bins - one for general waste, one for plastic/glass/paper/cardboard and one for green waste. And it is absolutely no problem whatsoever. We've had fortnightly collections for years and never had this mythical problem of being overrun with maggots, flies, rats, dinosaurs etc. that the Daily Mail seems to have created. They also never smell. Even during the height of summer.

I'm all for the scheme, when you see the size of Cannock landfill (which can be seen for miles) you will see why I am so supportive of it. We also have 2 incinerators that are about to be built nearby, I'm fed up of our area being the Midlands dumping ground.

Actually it has increased the number of rats plus double bagging everything isn't friendly either. Just cost cutting exercise and nothing to do with the environment.

Incinerators how did you get those past the nimbys?

No Wheelie bins here where I live but we do have a recycling system.

Normal household rubbish for landfill is collected weekly (black dustbin liners) but no garden refuse is allowed. In addition we have a green box for plastic ,glass and metal, a green waterproof carrier like bag for newspapers and a small pink plastic bag for used batteries. These are collected fortnightly.

as an alternative to the above we can take our newspapers to a recycling point at the local supermarket and the proceeds from this facility are used to fund projects within the local community which seems a good incentive. We can also recycle bottles,plastic, wax cartons, clothes and shoes at this same point.

Any garden waste we have to take to a separate facility at the local council tip where it is turned back into useful compost. This can be a chore ( the tip is 5 miles away) so we have three compost bins plus a wormery that caters for all but the bulkiest of our waste.

How negative that one council is asking people to separate all their materials only to go and tip in into one bin.....unbelievable...but on the other hand perhaps not!!

Actually it has increased the number of rats plus double bagging everything isn't friendly either. Just cost cutting exercise and nothing to do with the environment.

Incinerators how did you get those past the nimbys?

Well I think one has already been given the green light on the other side of Cannock, and the second one is literally less than a mile from my house - but that one is very much at the planning stage at the moment.

I'll take a photo of the monstrosity that is probably the highest point in the area - Cannock landfill. Then you can see why we support recycling here!

4 bins here in the South Hams- and they're looking to bring in a 5th.

Brown Bin- food waste etc, landfill.

Black Bin - garden waste

White Bin - tins, plastic bottles

Blue Bin- paper and cardboard

Currently glass goes into the recycling skip at the top of the village, but they are looking to bring in a red bin for glass.

My house is right on the South West Coastal path. And South Hams won't pay for a public bin on this road. The end result is day trippers just drop their rubbish by our bins for us to deal with. Which frankly p*** me right off.

4 bins here in the South Hams- and they're looking to bring in a 5th.

Brown Bin- food waste etc, landfill.

Black Bin - garden waste

White Bin - tins, plastic bottles

Blue Bin- paper and cardboard

Currently glass goes into the recycling skip at the top of the village, but they are looking to bring in a red bin for glass.

My house is right on the South West Coastal path. And South Hams won't pay for a public bin on this road. The end result is day trippers just drop their rubbish by our bins for us to deal with. Which frankly p*** me right off.

We used to have separate bins/bags for plastic/glass and paper/cardboard. But since they chuck it into the same lorry anyway they have recently supplied us with a blue wheelie bin for both. Strangely enough though, the green bin is for general waste and the brown bin for green waste.

i agree with nick l .... it works perfectly well, i have black bin for un recyclable waste, brown for garden/organic (non processed food) and cardboard, blue for bottles/tins/plastics and a bag for paper. fortnightly (on rotation, recylable one week, landfill next).

bins can smell if you leave them out in the sun.. so dont! i fill my garden bin the day before its emptied...no probs with smells.

like them or not... we have to do it.

oh and if you want all done weekly.... pay for it! because your council tax WILL go up to pay for it.

i agree with nick l .... it works perfectly well, i have black bin for un recyclable waste, brown for garden/organic (non processed food) and cardboard, blue for bottles/tins/plastics and a bag for paper. fortnightly (on rotation, recylable one week, landfill next).

bins can smell if you leave them out in the sun.. so dont! i fill my garden bin the day before its emptied...no probs with smells.

like them or not... we have to do it.

oh and if you want all done weekly.... pay for it! because your council tax WILL go up to pay for it.

Exactly. We are a family of 4 and have no problems with fortnightly collections. The only slight problem we have sometimes is for the glass/plastic/paper/carboard bin which is a struggle to get everything in. The only smell we get is the garden waste which can whiff a bit in the warmer weather, but certainly no major problems with pests.

It's all for a good cause and I have no problems whatsoever with it.

Strange garden waste never whiffs here unless I clear the pond out. Black bin doesn't get a chance to smell as it's emptied weekly and it's in the shade but if the black sack is left in this starts to smell by the 2nd week. Not badly but it's there.

Here in Sutton we have a 2 bin system a Brown one for waste and a Green one for recyclables, the Brown is emptied once a week and the Green every other week. If you are a family of 6 you can qualify for a slightly larger brown bin which can hold up to 5 dust bags, the small ones hold about 3. You cannot leave additional black sacks with your bin but if you have no brown bin they will take a maximum of 2 black sacks per week. The council will take as many brown bins as you put out so the trick here is to beg, steal or otherwise gain more bins, infact this can increase the value of your property.

My family of 5 has 1 x large and 1 x small brown bins and 1 x green bin, the gaining of the large brown bin was down to me hiding the smaller one and lying about us having a lodger. It is now Tuesday eve and due to the fact my son was hiding 2 black sacks of rubbish and a store of empty plastic bottles added to the rubbish since Friday we are now completely full. As you can imagine tensions within the household are running high with 3 days to go until emptying and no where to put the rubbish? However our options are not as limited as you would think as there are other tried and trusts ways, we could just dump it on the side of the road which is a very popular method? We could steal someone else brown bin or maybe have a fire another very popular theme as the air is filled with acrid smoke on most evenings, and smog similar to the 1950's is often seen.

Sutton Council and its Lid Dem 'Geography teacher with awful tie and chalk on his bottom' ways have no idea on manner subjects of which rubbish collection is one!

Thinking about weekly collections adding to council tax bills is annoying and id rather not pay the extra, but i live in new flats in a old but refurbished building and we have to use the same bins, and they stink often within a wk and become full.

my area is looking to build a tip somewere as the nearest are several miles away ,its just they cant find a suitable location, just hope it not round here! OH...

Yeh amazing how councils think rubbish can simply disappear. It doesn't unless you put pressure on suppliers to reduce there packaging. This week i had a good example of needless waste. A huge four foot by one cardboard box for an item the size of computer power supply. Silly.

Junk mail. Okay you can get mail preferences but this doesn't stop the junk. You have to also tell the postman and hope he remembers. Our council is also a source of junk mail. Colour brochures come through twice a week. I don't want them.

Tesco's claim to have cut packaging. the only thing they've done is made the packets smaller so if you want the same amount you have to buy two lots and have the same amount of plastic or slightly larger.

They did try a paper bag for tomato's for one week which I used but that's now gone again after one week.

Then there's advertising in newspaper and mags. Buy one and ten tons of junk falls out. Get rid we don't need it.

Those people on fortnightly collections has the council reduced it's council tax I bet it hasn't.

Fortnighty collections here. No real problem with the smells either.

Interestingly, if I drive 1 mile north to be in Plymouth City Council, they only have 1 brown and 1 green bin. The recylcing from here and Plymouth end up in the same place (Virador plant), so why the heck do we need the extra bins??

South Hams (surprise surprise) has one of the better recycling rate in the UK. But when I asked for assisted collections etc its "oh no you pay for that".

Oh no I don't when my council tax is 220 pounds per month!

Exactly. We are a family of 4 and have no problems with fortnightly collections. The only slight problem we have sometimes is for the glass/plastic/paper/carboard bin which is a struggle to get everything in. The only smell we get is the garden waste which can whiff a bit in the warmer weather, but certainly no major problems with pests.

It's all for a good cause and I have no problems whatsoever with it.

Absolutely, we are a family of six, have fortnightly alternate collections - black bin for non-recyclable and green bin for paper/cardboard/plastic, plus green plastic box for glass - and have never had any problem. In fact our black bin is very rarely even near full, and if you ask me anyone who manages to create so much rubbish that a wheelie bin every two weeks is insufficient is either over-consuming or just plain lazy.

Absolutely, we are a family of six, have fortnightly alternate collections - black bin for non-recyclable and green bin for paper/cardboard/plastic, plus green plastic box for glass - and have never had any problem. In fact our black bin is very rarely even near full, and if you ask me anyone who manages to create so much rubbish that a wheelie bin every two weeks is insufficient is either over-consuming or just plain lazy.

When I was in Florida I was appalled by how much rubbish the yanks produce. They have general collections TWICE a week, yet they still managed to fill two decent sized bins and leave a bunch of bin bags at the side. How on earth can a family produce that much?

And they also had a recycling scheme, which, although limited, surprised me.

When I was in Florida I was appalled by how much rubbish the yanks produce. They have general collections TWICE a week, yet they still managed to fill two decent sized bins and leave a bunch of bin bags at the side. How on earth can a family produce that much?

And they also had a recycling scheme, which, although limited, surprised me.

That sounds like my kind of place :)

I am very jealous reading about all the folks that get garden waste collected free. Here you must either compost it (what idiot would try to compost docks and other 'difficult' weeds and how do you compost a cordyline in your compost bin?) or else you must take it to the amenity tip to put in the compost skip there. How do you take such bulky compost items a couple of miles to the tip without a car? There is one other alternative, pay an extra £150 a year to get a 'green' collection once a month!!! I have decided to now have a 'wild corner' in my garden that is for such unwieldy green waste, cut into logs and used for hedgehogs and slow-worms to hide under. All perennial weeds go into a bin liner and get walked down to the tip. Keeps me fit I suppose! :)

As to the rest of the rubbish we are pretty well off, General household rubbish goes into plastic bags and is collected once a week, but if even one twig is in the bag they wont take it. The big drawback is that anything even slightly edible must be double or treble bagged or the foxes or cats will rip the bag to pieces overnight. I have mostly solved that by putting it (we rarely have more than one bag of rubbish as there are mostly only 3 of us at home) on top of the recycling bin the night before collection so that it can't be reached by vermin, (sorry cats). The recycling is for plastic bottles, cans, cardboard and paper as well as glass bottles and jars. Everything goes into one large green bin which is collected fortnightly and sorted at the recycling centre.

One question, we cannot recycle plastic margarine tubs or anything else like that, only bottles. Can anyone else recycle these items?

interesting views ,il base my post around them.

superstores are reducing waste but decreasing packet sizes, i dont know if the same weight to price is their as before shrinking packs?

myself i dont have much general rubbish and i recycle all that i can, so if i had my own bin then 2wkly collection would be ok, but for flats that share(i use shared) it should be weekly.

About butter tubs, i put mine in the recycle bins at a local carpark, they have several different bins, theirs a bin for items like tubs.

we've got 4 bins here in east lothian for waste. We have a green general household waste bin that gets collected weekly. A brown bin for garden waste , collected fortnightly on a tuesday. We also have two recycling boxes , one for Paper and the other for Plastics , Glass , Cans etc etc. So a pretty good scheme here imo :p