Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Newspaper Snow Threats

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Daily Mirror says that next month will be 8c below average with widespread sleet and snow.

A few other papers also say this.

What are your thoughts?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Can the Daily Mirror really be regarded as a NEWSpaper? :p

Got a link to the article?

Edited by Nick L

Posted

It was in today's paper. My mum showed it me, I don't read the paper.

I'll see if it's avaliable to read online.

Posted

Here it is:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2010/08/15/enjoy-today-s-sun-sleet-and-snow-is-on-the-way-115875-22488615/

Just seems like the run of the mill garbage that the likes of the Mirror and the Express produce.

Posted

FOUND IT!

http://www.mirror.co...15875-22488615/

Edit: Nick beat me. :p

Edited by Backtrack

Posted
  • Location: Coleraine,Macosquin,County Londonderry, Northern Ireland
  • Location: Coleraine,Macosquin,County Londonderry, Northern Ireland
:p:) oh goody but i doubt it

Posted

I think the failed to meantion that the widespread snow may only be widespread on the tops of the munroes.

That photo they had looked a bit like London or some other major city??

They are such gimps!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

I wouldn't take too much notice, there is more chance of me winning the Euro Millions than widespread lowland snow in September. I just hope that when they say 'cooling jet stream' they don't actually mean the jet stream is getting colder LOL, surely they couldn't be that ignorant.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Dunno how these companies operate let alone sell there junk stories. 8 degrees below normal :p:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy
Posted · Hidden by J10, August 15, 2010 - Relates to Arctici Sea Ice, in a non climate change thread
Hidden by J10, August 15, 2010 - Relates to Arctici Sea Ice, in a non climate change thread

If the current Arctic weather, that is setting up, stays put then night-times may well feel chilly in any northerly as the -10c cold pool gets blasted off the pole and heads south (with plenty of ocean waters to modify it though!).

Should we suffer the northerlies then the Fram Straight will see a big flush out of remnant Arctic ice and you can expect a record Arctic Ice min. How this extra open water impacts the Arctic Amplification and this the northern Atmospheric circulation is pretty new territory but I don't think Weather S. has a clue really (seeing as it's earth based and not of the sun!!!).

Posted

It might not be a bad idea when anyone quotes from other sources to give the full link at the start.

http://www.mirror.co...15875-22488615/

Not quite the newspaper headlines but then what’s new.

The Mirror quoted him as saying

And they said SLEET and SNOW could be on the way next month, with autumn temperatures as much as 8C below average.

Below that they quote

Positive Weather Solutions forecaster Jonathan Powell said: "We might have some dry spells before the end of the month but nothing you could call summer weather - it will stay unseasonably cold and wet. September looks really cold and damp and we would expect very wintry conditions at the end of the month, with sleet and snow in the north and Scotland."

Read more: http://www.mirror.co.../#ixzz0wgbPIUkR

Read more: http://www.mirror.co.../#ixzz0wgbHr25m

Don’t get me wrong I’ve oft posted on here about this character. A bit like a dodgy second hand car salesman in my view, but there we are some of you who may want sensationalist headlines. Better to read/listen to Joe B, however OTT he is he does back up his chat with charts and explanation.

Interesting if you go to the web site, I quote below, point me to the snow let alone widespread

September

An unsettled start to the month with a mixture of dry weather, but also some showers or longer spells of rain around. It is possible to see temperatures still on the warm side at the start of September, but this will be short lived. By mid month, Atlantic weather fronts will take hold, meaning a run of unsettled weather with some wet and windy conditions, possibly quite stormy. By the latter part of the month, the wet and windy weather will continue to dominate, which may lead to flooding problems in some areas. Across the month though, temperatures will on or around the average, with rainfall for the bulk of the UK on the average. Northwestern parts probably seeing above average rainfall, on the average elsewhere.

Edited by johnholmes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

They say this EVERY year about winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

A ridiculous article. Wont happen. End of. :)

Posted

Can the Daily Mirror really be regarded as a NEWSpaper? :nea:

No it's a comic. And the chap they were quoting sounds like a bit of a comic too. Sad really, you will get a good proportion of the populace telling you now that it "Is going to snow in September" then when it doesn't the same numpties are sure to blame the METO for poor forecasting even when it had nothing at all to do with them. DOH!! :)

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

I have taken this article on face value and have used the last of my savings to set up Autumn Nordic ski trekking in the New Forest from late September I do have the option of log cabins if its not cold enough to build igloos obviously Netweather members will get a highly attractive discount.

Posted

No it's a comic. And the chap they were quoting sounds like a bit of a comic too. Sad really, you will get a good proportion of the populace telling you now that it "Is going to snow in September" then when it doesn't the same numpties are sure to blame the METO for poor forecasting even when it had nothing at all to do with them. DOH!! :)

I know, I feel sorry for the Met Office having to take the rap for rubbish from other forecasters.

Posted

Quite ironic that even PWS are being misquoted out of context by the media :)

PWS are suggesting that there could be snow over the Cairngorms in September - an event which happens, well, nearly every year .... Apart from that it's all media make-believe.

Where the media get 8c below average* is anyone's guess. But probably in the same place they buy pixie dust and race unicorns.

* though it's probable that somewhere in teh UK will record a maxima or minima tep that is 8c below average sometime in the next 3 months .....

Posted

Last week's Saturday Daily Record had an article on "Positive Weather Solutions" who said that from Weds (just gone) it would remain settled and warm for the rest of the month. And yes, early snow on the hills from September and a cold snowy winter... Hmmmm.

Posted

Who are these Positive Weather Solution people anyway, I had never heard of them until last year and its seems as though the newspapers get these stupid stories from them constantly. Their website is terrible and they seem to just put these stories out there to get some attention. I agree with you all that the Met office will get the blame for it.

Havent the newspapers ever heard of NetWeather.tv :)

Can the Daily Mirror really be regarded as a NEWSpaper? :p

Could be worse, it could be the Daily Mail. in any case, I take all weather reports in newspapers with a large pinch of salt. Just read it, it was from Positive Weather solutions say no more.

No it's a comic. And the chap they were quoting sounds like a bit of a comic too. Sad really, you will get a good proportion of the populace telling you now that it "Is going to snow in September" then when it doesn't the same numpties are sure to blame the METO for poor forecasting even when it had nothing at all to do with them. DOH!! :nea:

Again it could be the Daily mail. :) the real gutter press.