Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Good Septembers Following Poor Augusts?

Posted

What about 1980?

August. Cool, dull, and wet. northeasterly winds gave the southeast coast less than 10 hours of sunshine in total in the first 9 days of the month. 97 mm of rain fell in 45 minutes at Orra Beg, Antrim, on the 1st - one of the highest hourly rainfall rates on record. The downpour was very local.

September. Warm overall; at 14.7C CET, the warmest since 1961, and we would have to wait until 1998 for one warmer. There was a great deal of sunny, dry weather in the SE, although it was wet in the NW. There was a severe gale in the north on the 12th

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

I find it very hard to find any pleasure in a warm, sunny September. Especially after a naff August. All it does is remind us of what a summer it could have been and that frustrating thought - how lovely it could have been if these synoptics had occurred when they were supposed to.

I feel September should be like July was this year. A warm start, then unsettled, then dry but with a more autumnal feel. Last September was quite frankly boring!

Posted

Poor does not necessarily just equate to cool, poor could also refer to as wet/dull as well. Infact a condition for poor for me is dullness and wetness regardless of temperature. You can have cool, dry sunny summer months which is IMO a lot better than a warm dull wet summer month.

I think 1985 is a good example of a poor August followed by a respectable September.

August 2004 was warm but a washout however the September was drier and not to bad.

1979 is another example of a poor August followed by a respectable September.

September 1979 wasn't exactly warm, it had a CET of 13.5*C.

September 1985 was quite warm overall, and had the same CET as the August that year, however, the warmth of Sept 1985 came in the second half and especially the last week, more unusual for an autumn month. The first half of Sept 1985 was not especially warm. After the warm wet August of 2004 the September was pretty warm and dry, and saw a fairly significant heatwave for September early in the month.

1956 is a good example of a very cool wet August (13.5 CET / 156mm Rainfall) followed by a reasonably warm and much drier September (14.3 CET).

This August is very likely to end similar for the CET to 2007 now, and that year the September saw a warm and dry spell early on, however, the month wasn't that much above average overall.

It is difficult to see a correlation in the sort of August and the September that follows. I don't know if anyone else can see one.

Posted

September 1979 wasn't exactly warm, it had a CET of 13.5*C.

Nope but as I said before, IMO, sunshine and rainfall are more important than temperature as regards to how poor a month is.

September 1971 was pretty good, largely dry, fairly sunny following a wet August.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Poor does not necessarily just equate to cool, poor could also refer to as wet/dull as well. Infact a condition for poor for me is dullness and wetness regardless of temperature. You can have cool, dry sunny summer months which is IMO a lot better than a warm dull wet summer month.

Many parts of north-east England had a classic illustration of this in the comparison between Augusts 2007 and 2008. August 2008 was the warmer of the two months, due to much higher overnight minima, but it was twice as wet and less than half as sunny. There was definitely a far stronger impression of a poor month among the general public in the case of 2008.

August 2008 also bore out your previous assertions (from earlier posts) that mean maximum temperatures are a better measure than mean temperatures- cool cloudy wet windy days gave the impression of a cool month but the cloud, wind and rain also resulted in numerous warm nights.

Posted

I don't expect much correlation between August and Sept weatherwise much less so than other monthly combos such as Jan and Feb or July and Aug.

We had two very good septembers in 2005 and 2006 followed after indifferent augusts, conversely we have had poor septs such as in 1995 and 2003 after very good augusts.

Posted

I don't expect much correlation between August and Sept weatherwise much less so than other monthly combos such as Jan and Feb or July and Aug.

We had two very good septembers in 2005 and 2006 followed after indifferent augusts, conversely we have had poor septs such as in 1995 and 2003 after very good augusts.

September 2003 was very dry and sunny and quite warm too, and it saw a notable late heatwave in the middle of the month, where day temps got over 80*F on a wide scale, very notable for so late in the year.

September 1995, on the other hand, was a much wetter and more cloudy month, although the CET wasn't that cool at 13.7*C. That month did indeed not see any heatwaves of note.

Posted

Both July & August here are in the top 10 dullest on record thus far though this August will probably be saved by Monday & Tuesday being very sunny, it's been an utterly feeble month though the sunshine figure for Tuesday 10th is 9 hours at Shawbury but i was on holiday then so im not sure how we fared here in Telford down the road? Monday 16th is the only day id call summery here though it clouded over by 4pm.

Posted

Looks like my theory was correct again then, gorgeous weather today to end August on and it looks like turning increasing warm over the next few days.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Looks like my theory was correct again then, gorgeous weather today to end August on and it looks like turning increasing warm over the next few days.

Will nights get any warmer, lots of places got record lows for August last night...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Will nights get any warmer, lots of places got record lows for August last night...

Night-time temperatures should be on the increase later this week.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Night-time temperatures should be on the increase later this week.

Hopefully here in Durham we don't get anything above 10c for night-time temperatures. Also hoping for a dramatic cool down and a good few frosts this month...