Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Good Septembers Following Poor Augusts?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

what has happened to august? its supposed to be a summer month, so why in recent years has it been so hard to get a 'hot spell' in august? the last decent one was in 2003, and several augusts i havnt even recorded a 25c (and its highly likely this year wont acheive it either). august supposed to be the height of summer, school holidays, traditionally the warmest month (?).

so what has happened to augusts? why are 'hot spells' (three consecutive days above 25c in the cet area) so rare? especially in a year that hasnt had a warm july? tbh, i dont think i can remember a hot spell in august that wasnt preceeded by a hot spell in july...

august has become my least favourite month...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Because this is the UK.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Just reminds me of normal British summers we've just been spoilt lately that's all. Still it could be a rubbish august like 1986 11.4c average.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I think this August has been gorgeous temperature wise. Constantly high teens - perfect. Would have liked a bit less dullness and more sunshine, but it's better than 30c+!

Posted

How is August for you?

Well here at Cantley, maybe unlike other areas, not too bad.

I have rainfall data back to 2005 and temps back for much further.

Just taking with the temp and rainfall

2009 1.6C above avge temp with ½-1 inch below avge

2008 1.5C above with ½-1 inch above for rain

2007 1.0C above and less than 1 inch= very dry

2006 0.6C above and very wet with above 2 inches above normal

2005 1.2C above and average rainfall.

So for this spot in the world I cannot complain about the August weather.

Posted

To be fair, this August can hardly be called rubbish. If anything, its pretty close to average so far.

I think a lot of the high expectations are due to the number of rather warm Augusts from 1989-2004. 1990 (18.0C), 1995 (19.2C), 1997 (18.9C) and 2003 (18.3C) were all very warm and quite sunny Augusts. Indeed, the 10 year mean from 1995-2004 was 17.3C, well above the 1971-2000 average of 16.2C. We've also not had one more than a degree below average since 1993, though we have had some wet ones.

At the end of the day it really is as simple as mentioned above - this is the UK. Theres no guarantee of 25C+ temperatures and our 'average' conditions are generally not what most people would consider 'summery'.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Still it could be a rubbish august like 1986 11.4c average.

I beg to differ, Pit. As far as I'm concerned August 1986 was up there with the very best,along with August 1956 which I can only just remember. Admittedly it wasn't all that wet, until the very end when ex-hurricane Charlie dumped almost 80mm of rain, but for unremitting cool weather it was almost unbeatable; the highest max' here was 18.3c.

So far it been decent, two bad days Friday 6th and Monday 9th, more damp and drizzly than anything else.

Monday 2nd, Sunday 8th and Wednesday 11th have been warm and mostly sunny

The 1st and 5th were dry with decent sunny spells. The 7th was bright with sunny spells pm after showers am. While Today the 12th has seen some sunny spells but largely cloudy.

While a few days have had some rain in the morning, before brightening up very nicely in the afternoon, Tues 3rd, Wed 4th and Tues 10th. The others have been dry with some sunny intervals. It has generally felt rather warm in any sunny spells, but no massive heatwave.

All in all, above average, but not a belter and due to the sunshine especially in the evenings, I would suspect more sun than many places so far this month.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

I beg to differ, Pit. As far as I'm concerned August 1986 was up there with the very best,along with August 1956 which I can only just remember. Admittedly it wasn't all that wet, until the very end when ex-hurricane Charlie dumped almost 80mm of rain, but for unremitting cool weather it was almost unbeatable; the highest max' here was 18.3c.

Okay I guess you like cold wet Augusts.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Depends on your perception of "rubbish".

http://www.climate-uk.com/page2.html

August 2010 so far in the UK has been quite cool, quite dry, and very dull (just 56% of normal sunshine for 1st-10th). Since I consider sunshine to be the most important variable in assessing a summer month, I see a set of stats like that as pretty rubbish, but for example, if it's lack of rain that you're primarily after then it hasn't been too bad.

It's only a third of the way into the month so chances are those stats will change significantly- though I doubt that sunshine will reach average.

As for the last five Augusts they have been a pretty mixed bag. August 2005 was a dry sunny month for most (though dull in N Scotland) with average temperatures. August 2006 turned out cloudy with near average temperatures, August 2007 ended up as a cool dry month which was sunny in NE England, there was then the record-breaking dull one in 2008, and then August 2009 had a NW-SE split with notably warm dry sunny weather in East Anglia and the southeast, a very wet month in western Scotland, and mostly dry cloudy weather in intervening areas.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Heres an interesting fact, since August 2004, no August has been more than 0.4C above average.

Posted

Recent Augusts have in the main been fairly poor here in the Lake District - often dull quite wet or very wet affairs with no real sustained warm weather. For much of NW Britain (Highlands, W/SW Scotland, N Ireland, NW Eng and N Wales), August rarely outperforms May, June and July on the dry or sunshine stakes. It is often on a par with July for temps, but it is really sunshine and dry days which make the difference as to whether the weather can be classed as summery.

I have never rated August, we have had some shockers over the years 1988, 1993, 1998, 2002 and 2008 were poor indeed, however, they can bring wonderful weather on rare occasions August 1995 being a case in point - the best summer month here in a generation at least..

My own thoughts on May and June being our best months seems to be holding ever truer - this year being a case in point, the school holidays should be moved back at least a month I say especially for here in the north.

Posted

Heres an interesting fact, since August 2004, no August has been more than 0.4C above average.

that illustrates how much variation there can be over relatively short distances, especially when altitude is also a factor.

Posted

August has been a bit dissapointing so far up here. Sure the reservoirs were in dire need of some rain, but still not great for summer so far. Spring was excellent in terms of dry, sunny weather.

Posted

Depends on your perception of "rubbish".

http://www.climate-uk.com/page2.html

August 2010 so far in the UK has been quite cool, quite dry, and very dull (just 56% of normal sunshine for 1st-10th). Since I consider sunshine to be the most important variable in assessing a summer month, I see a set of stats like that as pretty rubbish, but for example, if it's lack of rain that you're primarily after then it hasn't been too bad.

It's only a third of the way into the month so chances are those stats will change significantly- though I doubt that sunshine will reach average.

As for the last five Augusts they have been a pretty mixed bag. August 2005 was a dry sunny month for most (though dull in N Scotland) with average temperatures. August 2006 turned out cloudy with near average temperatures, August 2007 ended up as a cool dry month which was sunny in NE England, there was then the record-breaking dull one in 2008, and then August 2009 had a NW-SE split with notably warm dry sunny weather in East Anglia and the southeast, a very wet month in western Scotland, and mostly dry cloudy weather in intervening areas.

I must admit I had no idea sunshine levels had been so low during the first 10 days. Certainly you are right about sunshine levels influencing people's opinions of the weather (especially in summer). Ive heard a lot of complaints recently from people I know suggesting that this summer is even poorer than the last one due to the lack of sunshine and rarity of days where the skies are clear for long periods. This comes despite the dryness we've had since literally March - which has also been noticed, but doesnt seem to make much difference to people's opinions. Then again, those same people were pretty suprised when I told them the average maximum temperature here in July/August is 21C, most had unrealistic expectations and thought >25C was more 'normal', a few of them have lived through some pretty bad summers aswell!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Augusts certainly have taken a turn for the worst. My parents say that the best summer weather used to come in July and August yet now it comes in May and June, or in this year's case - just June! Looking back over the years:

2000: Dull, quite dry but often drizzly damp, occasionally warm but rarely summery

2001: Very changeable and showery, occasional warm days (was on holiday for the 3 very warm days on the Bank Holiday weekend)

2002: A better attempt - mostly average with sunshine, rain and temperatures though a decent hot spell midmonth

2003: Summer like the UK would never know! A month to remember.

2004: The first 10 days made up for the rest of the month. Heat then thunderstorms then early autumn, so not that bad really.

2005: A super month, often very sunny and warm with hot spells here and there with a few days of rain

2006: Great start but quickly downgraded to a boring, cool, often cloudy and eventless month that spoilt what could have been a fantastic summer

2007: A big improvement on June and July and warm and sunny during the first half but then cloudy and cool from midmonth onwards so an average month

2008: Just awful! Wet, cloudy and a waste of time.

2009: Again, better than July with good sunny spells at times but also dragging cloud at times. The NW-SE split made it a dry but often overcast month but at least warm.

Bold is poor

Normal is normal

Bold Italic is good

A mixed bag of Augusts but apparently not what they used to be! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

it all depends upon the criteria you use to determine if august is good or not... the cet average might be above average, but that means nothing with mild nights and cloudy days. id sooner have 1 nice hot spell with the rest of the month being whatever, then statistically above average but dull.

and this was the idea behind the thread... ignore local conditions, ignore cet temps, im asking the question why we dont get 'hot' spells in august as a widespread (cet zone for eg), especially after a year where theres no hot spell prior.

Posted

Here is a system I devised last year when looking at the Julys of the 2000s

If we take the CET, sunshine and rainfall figures and assign +, -, = to the figures ie, an above average CET month (+0.5 and greater) as a +, (+0.5 to -0.5) as = and a below average (-0.5 and greater) as -

++>1.5C above the CET average, - - < below the 1.5C average,

+ + + > 2.5C above the CET average, - - - < below the 2.5C average.

Sunshine: a + to a month with >105%, = to 95% to 105% and - to <95%

+ +>125%, <75% - -,

+ + +> 150%, - - - < 50%

Rainfall: a + to a month with >105%, = to 95% to 105% and - to <95%

+ +<75%, >125% - -,

+ + + <50%, >150% - - -,

+ + + + <25%, - - - - > 200%

Those %s are compared to the 1971-2000 averages.

Augusts of the 2000s

CET: +

Rainfall: +

Sunshine: =

Rainfall: =

Sunshine: -

CET: + +

Rainfall: + + +

Sunshine: +

CET: + +

Rainfall: - - - -

CET: =

CET: -

Rainfall: + +

Sunshine: +

Rainfall: - -

Sunshine: - -

On those figures it would suggest that August hasn't been that bad but of course you got your local variations.

The best summer month that I have experienced was an August and that was 1995, that was the king of a summer month, holding all 3 records for sunshine, heat and dryness.

A lot is made of August 1997 but sunshine and rainfall wise, south of the Border it was unimpressive, August 1998 was actually drier and sunnier than previous August.

Posted

I've not recorded 30c in August since 2004, so from my perspective something has definatly gone wrong with August in recent years.

Edited by Gavin P

Posted

August so far here has been cool (one day above 20C so far) and cloudy (a continuation of the miserable July), and I definitely wouldn't say it's been dry either (I got soaked again on the way out this morning). So yes, so far it's been another rubbish August here. I thought 2004 was good because of the plentiful humid warmth in the first half of the month. I don't remember 2005 being anything other than nondescript.

My expectations of August are probably skewed by the fact I was ten in August 1995: my dad was about the same age during the winter of 1962/63 and he thinks that type of winter was the norm during his childhood (he further claims that the 1960s saw the best summers in his lifetime - ha!).

Edited by AderynCoch

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

August so far here has been cool (one day above 20C so far) and cloudy (a continuation of the miserable July), and I definitely wouldn't say it's been dry either (I got soaked again on the way out this morning). So yes, so far it's been another rubbish August here. I thought 2004 was good because of the plentiful humid warmth in the first half of the month. I don't remember 2005 being anything other than nondescript.

My expectations of August are probably skewed by the fact I was ten in August 1995: my dad was about the same age during the winter of 1962/63 and he thinks that type of winter was the norm during his childhood (he further claims that the 1960s saw the best summers in his lifetime - ha!).

I think that there's a lot of sense in that post, AC...

Posted

We've been spoilt with lovely Junes and Julys for years, August seems to never live up to expectation when in reality it's rarely as warm or sunny as either of the other 2 summer months. September is quite often warmer and sunnier than August in this country.

Edited by Tom D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

A lovely July, you taking the micky?