Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The PIT

Pakistani Floods A Gift To Extremists?

http://www.rferl.org/content/Will_The_Floods_Open_The_Floodgates_For_Pakistans_Extremists/2119668.html

Strange that the Pakistani Government can't get the aid going yet small groups can and use the distress of the locals for their own gain.

Is this a case of the bigger the organisation gets the more ineffective it gets???

Certainly the debt ridden west seems slow of the mark, this also a gift to the USA too improve it's image but doesn't seem to be very active.

If they stopped all their spending on WMDs, they'd have fewer problems with their public finances. Same goes for us??

I caught a radio article this morning from some UN spokesman, moaning about the lack of financial support from the UK. Particularly the DEC donation line.

90% of public money raised so far has been "community" based in the Yorkshire/lancashire/Luton areas.

He then whined on that the wider UK population "just doesn't seem to care" !!!

Errrr...............got it in one mate !!

I caught a radio article this morning from some UN spokesman, moaning about the lack of financial support from the UK. Particularly the DEC donation line.

90% of public money raised so far has been "community" based in the Yorkshire/lancashire/Luton areas.

He then whined on that the wider UK population "just doesn't seem to care" !!!

Errrr...............got it in one mate !!

To be fair the Talban are largely based in the regions you mention above in the UK, as well as the areas where the floods have taken place.

Makes sence for them to help the locals.

If the locals ....... shout .....'Oil' .........Im sure the USA will respond.

In fact I think they will repond when they shout ............'Talban'

Don't shout 'Flood , misery death' etc won't get you anywhere :girl_devil:

To be fair the Talban are largely based in the regions you mention above in the UK, as well as the areas where the floods have taken place.

Makes sence for them to help the locals.

If the locals ....... shout .....'Oil' .........Im sure the USA will respond.

In fact I think they will repond when they shout ............'Talban'

Don't shout 'Flood , misery death' etc won't get you anywhere :girl_devil:

Pakistan copped that big earthquake 3-4 years ago. In order to get any kind of reaction from the West, they had to spin it as the "South Asia" disaster.

I'm afraid that as a Nation, they just don't do themselves any favours by their actions against the West - or even India come to think of it !!

As Ian Botham once said - "Pakistan - I wouldn't even send my Mother-in-Law there "

One reason why people will be reluctant too donate is that you'll probably end up indirectly donating to some extremist group.

One reason why people will be reluctant too donate is that you'll probably end up indirectly donating to some extremist group.

Quite. It'll be a cold day in Hell before I give to Pakistan rather than Help for Heroes.

Pakistan copped that big earthquake 3-4 years ago. In order to get any kind of reaction from the West, they had to spin it as the "South Asia" disaster.

I'm afraid that as a Nation, they just don't do themselves any favours by their actions against the West - or even India come to think of it !!

As Ian Botham once said - "Pakistan - I wouldn't even send my Mother-in-Law there "

Watch the featured video, as well as the second video down on the right: -

http://www.youtube.c.../PersianPaladin

The people there are suffering. They did not willingly choose to empower the Taliban and Al Qaeda. Only a person with a cold heart would refrain from helping them.

Watch the featured video, as well as the second video down on the right: -

http://www.youtube.c.../PersianPaladin

The people there are suffering. They did not willingly choose to empower the Taliban and Al Qaeda. Only a person with a cold heart would refrain from helping them.

I think the other reason is the declining wealth of the West. Very likely in the future they'll need to be looking to India and countries like China for help. Haiti now seems to be forgotten and when the hurricanes come knocking the death toll will start to rise again.

Another thing PP too remember is "What is the point of having a warm heart when the thanks is a knife pushed through it". Also if you do donate and increase the power of extremists you'll be subjecting them to life of torture literally in some cases.

Difficult choice.

I don’t think anyone wishes to belittle the true human suffering

However the explanations for not ‘giving’ I think are fairly clear

Anyway I sat and thought about it and gave some more money to Haiti instead.

Anyway I sat and thought about it and gave some more money to Haiti instead.

Fair enough. Last time I checked, no Haitians had tried to bomb me !!

Fair enough. Last time I checked, no Haitians had tried to bomb me !!

Last time I checked, we were still dependent on Saudi Arabian oil where the majority of the 9/11 bombers came from. And last time I checked terrorists had killed far more Pakistani civillians than Brits.

Last time I checked, we were still dependent on Saudi Arabian oil where the majority of the 9/11 bombers came from. And last time I checked terrorists had killed far more Pakistani civillians than Brits.

Last time I checked New York wasnt in the UK :mellow:

And last time I checked terrorists had killed far more Pakistani civillians than Brits.

No No No that doesn't happen at all and if it does it's the USA's fault and the UK for being pals with the USA.

Just looked at Haiti's problems and there's been no reconstruction at all. People are still stuck in tents. Government says it has too prepare for the Hurricane season first of all. I guess they're going to solve the housing problem by letting the weather kill the remaining survivors.

I think the other reason is the declining wealth of the West. Very likely in the future they'll need to be looking to India and countries like China for help. Haiti now seems to be forgotten and when the hurricanes come knocking the death toll will start to rise again.

Another thing PP too remember is "What is the point of having a warm heart when the thanks is a knife pushed through it". Also if you do donate and increase the power of extremists you'll be subjecting them to life of torture literally in some cases.

Difficult choice.

So the bankers and oligarchs in the West that have stolen or hoarded much of the wealth (and used poor people in China and India as capital) can't give some of it back to the people who need it most?

Bull.

So the bankers and oligarchs in the West that have stolen or hoarded much of the wealth (and used poor people in China and India as capital) can't give some of it back to the people who need it most?

Bull.

Whisper it quietly, but that's how the World works - and always has !!

Bull.

Basically yes and if the people who needed it most had it all tomorrow they would keep themselves as well. Human nature I'm afraid.

You see things like Government giving aid of 2 million too a country and the same week Man U buy a player for 15 million. Something is wrong somewhere very wrong.

Tomorrows world it's likely the power and money will be in the east and we'll be going cap in hand.

Whisper it quietly, but that's how the World works - and always has !!

Actually, it's how some of the world's people work.

There always have been, and always will be, people who will help others, people for whom money isn't everything, people for whom cynicism doesn't come first, people who see human suffering and are simply moved by it into doing something. Deride them, criticise them, jeer at them but some people are just like that.

Actually, it's how some of the world's people work.

There always have been, and always will be, people who will help others, people for whom money isn't everything, people for whom cynicism doesn't come first, people who see human suffering and are simply moved by it into doing something. Deride them, criticise them, jeer at them but some people are just like that.

Sadly the vast majority of people who hold real power in the world aren't like that at all - ruthlessness and being a bully seems to trump decency and altruism much of the time, which is a terrible shame.

Last time I checked New York wasnt in the UK :lol:

Sorry, I realise why my post seems to imply that but my point is the same - we don't target wealthy, economically developed and oil rich nations who abuse human rights and export terrorism, only those which we are not reliant on for our energy supply.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-10978671

The UN on Wednesday launched a $459m (£294m) appeal for emergency aid, but says billions will be needed in the long term.

I'll bet the Pakistani Gov't are rubbing their hands at the thought of all those £zillions they can "siphon" off. As a betting man, I'd wager a fortune that not even 2p in the £ makes it to the poor souls that actually need it.

I don't see why we should help Pakistan out. They're independent, they should get the majority of the aid from India, China, Afghanistan, South Korea, Russia and Japan. Always down to the west to give out money. What happens when China and India are top and with our low population in comparison that means we'll be the small boys and girls soon.

I don't see why we should help Pakistan out. They're independent, they should get the majority of the aid from India, China, Afghanistan, South Korea, Russia and Japan. Always down to the west to give out money. What happens when China and India are top and with our low population in comparison that means we'll be the small boys and girls soon.

Well said OP. Charity begins at home !!

Anyone have any idea if we ever receive international aid for anything?

Anyone have any idea if we ever receive international aid for anything?

Floods in 2007. Came out of the EU fund whether it got to the people that needed it is another matter.

However in future years unless we really get the debt down I can see us going cap in hand.