Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HighPressure

England Post World Cup

Here we are with Englands first game since a emotionless and passionless world cup. Not a lot has changed a first half with players in 2nd gear not looking like they really care and the ball going backwards for much of the time.

Roll on proper football rather than these prancing faries :rofl:

They won but I couldn't give a monkeys (and neither will most football fans I bet). The real football resumes on Saturday, what a stupid time to have a pointless friendly.

They won but I couldn't give a monkeys (and neither will most football fans I bet). The real football resumes on Saturday, what a stupid time to have a pointless friendly.

Yes, there were important League Cup games last night and some teams had key players missing as a result of a pointless international :) Mind, Priskin looked good - Hungary should have brought him on earlier. Though I'd rather he'd been scoring for Ipswich last night instead!

Yes, there were important League Cup games last night and some teams had key players missing as a result of a pointless international :) Mind, Priskin looked good - Hungary should have brought him on earlier. Though I'd rather he'd been scoring for Ipswich last night instead!

Thankfully Graham Dorrans was "injured" for the Scotland match, giving him more recovery time for our opener against Chelsea.

The major disappointment in all this for me is that England blooded some decent young players tonight who probably won't get to play again for them this season as they'll not e getting a look in for their clubs.

Also agree it's a dumb time to be playing a friendly.

The major disappointment in all this for me is that England blooded some decent young players tonight who probably won't get to play again for them this season as they'll not e getting a look in for their clubs.

Also agree it's a dumb time to be playing a friendly.

At least you won your game, we got spanked 3-0. Sometimes it is better to learn from defeat though. If I tell myself that often enough I will begin to believe it :)

Rooney's England performances do not warrant his inclusion and it was only when he went off that Gerrard got a free role and changed game. Up until 70mins England were poor a lacklustre but after that it was the Gerrard show, 2 excellent goals although the defending was awful.

Here we are with Englands first game since a emotionless and passionless world cup. Not a lot has changed a first half with players in 2nd gear not looking like they really care and the ball going backwards for much of the time.

Roll on proper football rather than these prancing faries :D

One thing that will never change is the fans :)

It was a decent polished performance 7.5 /10. I will take Gerrards emotionless game any day :D

Rooney's England performances do not warrant his inclusion and it was only when he went off that Gerrard got a free role and changed game. Up until 70mins England were poor a lacklustre but after that it was the Gerrard show, 2 excellent goals although the defending was awful.

I agree about Rooney he should never have played, in fact I would suggest dropping him until such time as he changes his attitude.

Overall I felt that we looked better in the first half, although Gerrard often dropped too deep and should have been given a freer role. Our passing and movement looked excellent, and as Andy Townsend said, “the team played better in the first 13 minuets than they had during the whole world cupâ€. Going to 442 we looked less composed on the ball and several players looked unsure as to what they were doing, this allowed Hungary to come beck into the game. For all England’s plus points Hungary are a poor side, but I guess given the situation it would be foolish to expect more at this stage. The best thing for me was to see the team pass from the back, and eliminating aimless long punts up the pitch. Although we scored the goals when playing 442, I think the style with which we played first half should be the pointer for future tactics.

I agree about Rooney he should never have played, in fact I would suggest dropping him until such time as he changes his attitude.

Overall I felt that we looked better in the first half, although Gerrard often dropped too deep and should have been given a freer role. Our passing and movement looked excellent, and as Andy Townsend said, “the team played better in the first 13 minuets than they had during the whole world cupâ€. Going to 442 we looked less composed on the ball and several players looked unsure as to what they were doing, this allowed Hungary to come beck into the game. For all England’s plus points Hungary are a poor side, but I guess given the situation it would be foolish to expect more at this stage. The best thing for me was to see the team pass from the back, and eliminating aimless long punts up the pitch. Although we scored the goals when playing 442, I think the style with which we played first half should be the pointer for future tactics.

Thank goodness someone else thinks the same as me, i couldnt watch the match last night and had to settle for listening on radio 5 instead. Disappointing commentary, must have been the Wayne Rooney fan club in charge going on about how he is Englands best player, the talisman etc...when in reality he needs to be dropped for a game or two. Also the constant snipping and criticism of Capello and frequent referring to his not being English was shameful.

Main thing for England was to show intent to change things which I think they did, afterall no point peaking too early again.....

Thank goodness someone else thinks the same as me, i couldnt watch the match last night and had to settle for listening on radio 5 instead. Disappointing commentary, must have been the Wayne Rooney fan club in charge going on about how he is Englands best player, the talisman etc...when in reality he needs to be dropped for a game or two. Also the constant snipping and criticism of Capello and frequent referring to his not being English was shameful.

Main thing for England was to show intent to change things which I think they did, afterall no point peaking too early again.....

The rather sarcastic handclap he issued as he came off, tends to indicated that his head has disappeared completely up his own backside, or maybe he was just desperate for another fag. Either way, no player has the right to play for England, somebody less talented but more committed would do well in a side playing well.

I do think Gerrard is one of the few players who does look committed in a England shirt and the freedom he got once Rooney went off was what changed the game. But there is no doubt that England overall lack something in their game, apart from the spell that saw the 2 goals the rest of the performance was at best just average. Maybe its Capello who wants a purely technical game but England lack aggression, that will to turn a bad ball into a good one. They do not pass the ball very well compared to your average premiership team, 4 or 5 usually sideways or backwards passes are the most you will see before a long punt out wide. Give an English man the ball in space in the centre circle and he is lost, give it to Fabragas and the opposition are normally in trouble.

You also have to look at the opposition, Hungary last 2 matches 0-3 against Germany and 1-6 against Holland. This is a side that would find it difficult against most Championship sides??

Stopped watching friendlies because most of the time it's club v country with players taking it easy to avoid injury. Fringe players can't feel free to express themselves in case a tackle puts them out for the season and the boss ain't happy with them.

I remember when friendlies used to be fully committed with fringe players sometimes forcing there way into the main squad. When was the last time that happened???

In the Wales game, Bellamy had a great game, and is showing Mancini what they would ms,if they make the decision to omit him from the squad. To be honest, he was probably one of the best players in the premier League last season.

In the Wales game, Bellamy had a great game, and is showing Mancini what they would ms,if they make the decision to omit him from the squad. To be honest, he was probably one of the best players in the premier League last season.

He's a great player, pity he's such an [email protected]@e, I’ve met a good few Norwich club officials who described him in even less flattering terms. The British Juninho he liked to call himself, talented but with an attitude problem that’s rankled with many managers and team mates over the years. Mind you he never gives less on the pitch than 100% effort.

I do think Gerrard is one of the few players who does look committed in a England shirt and the freedom he got once Rooney went off was what changed the game. But there is no doubt that England overall lack something in their game, apart from the spell that saw the 2 goals the rest of the performance was at best just average. Maybe its Capello who wants a purely technical game but England lack aggression, that will to turn a bad ball into a good one. They do not pass the ball very well compared to your average premiership team, 4 or 5 usually sideways or backwards passes are the most you will see before a long punt out wide. Give an English man the ball in space in the centre circle and he is lost, give it to Fabragas and the opposition are normally in trouble.

You also have to look at the opposition, Hungary last 2 matches 0-3 against Germany and 1-6 against Holland. This is a side that would find it difficult against most Championship sides??

I would agree but for a certain issue, and Gerrard mentioned it himself prior to the 'friendly' last Wednesday. (Why so soon to the opening of the EPL campaign?)

Quote : "If I were an England fan, I'd boo the team myself". Now doesn't that smack of double standards?

I watched that game on ITV1 last week and for the first 60+ minutes, I really wanted to throw the remote control at the screen but then I don't have a spare £600 to replace a rear projection TV.. Seems like nothing has been learned since the atrocious World Cup performance. Only Gerrard was the saving grace with two... Maybe cheap opportunist goals to the neutral fan, but they still count.

Rooney : Should never be selected again.

Joe Hart : I said before 11th June that after his great season on loan at Birmingham City, he should have been automatic choice over Robert Green.

Heskey : Couldn't hit a cows @rse with a banjo! That one on one chance missed v USA sticks in my mind.

Gerrard and Lampard : Obvious now that they can not play together in midfield. It's either one or the other, but not both!

Terry : Good with set pieces but the jury is still out as to his fouling defending.

And finally : Capello... Poor English dialect, man management, and which makes me wonder if his squad selection really wants to play for him?

Phil.

Rooney : Should never be selected again.

Fully agreed. Rooney has completely disrespected the fans and his manager(s) over the summer. He is a petulant child who is massively overrated. Repeatedly spotted smoking - a modern day professional football should NEVER smoke, they get paid disgusting amounts so they should refrain from such activities.

i used to be enthused by international football. no longer. i am so bored of these ludicrously overpaid twats occasionally kicking a ball into a net whilst netting a few ladies on the side. something has to change and i certainly am disinterested in tomorrow's match. i'd normally watch, but i'd rather watch dough rise these days

i used to be enthused by international football. no longer. i am so bored of these ludicrously overpaid twats occasionally kicking a ball into a net whilst netting a few ladies on the side. something has to change and i certainly am disinterested in tomorrow's match. i'd normally watch, but i'd rather watch dough rise these days

Yeah what a joke only 4-0 should have been 14-0

Football will be a sadder place without you :)

Yeah what a joke only 4-0 should have been 14-0

Football will be a sadder place without you  :)

<br class="khtml-block-placeholder">being an oxford bloke i followed the club in the maxwell days. the pinnicle was the milk cup defeat of qpr. i was very young but remember it vividly. 

being an oxford bloke i followed the club in the maxwell days. the pinnicle was the milk cup defeat of qpr. i was very young but remember it vividly.

I'm a Luton fan end of the 80s wembly use to be our second ground , now look at us.

England about to kick off with 3,800 English fans

something to cheer up all England supporters following the awful world cup........latest score euro2012 qualifier.....Scotland 0 Lichenstein 1....... :lol: :rofl:

England post World Cup 'still a load of old crap' I mean I am avid footy fan but am finding Spongebob more interesting.

All them millions of pounds worth of over paid nancy boys running around, against that football hotbeb of a nation Montenegro :wallbash:

England post World Cup 'still a load of old crap' I mean I am avid footy fan but am finding Spongebob more interesting.

All them millions of pounds worth of over paid nancy boys running around, against that football hotbeb of a nation Montenegro :wallbash:

P3 W3 D0 LO :whistling:

a truly woeful performance by England-why do I keep watching them?