Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nick F

Dry Sundays This Summer

Just struck me looking at the weather charts for this coming Sunday, how yet again it's looking likely to be dry for much of the UK, though subject for change for some areas. Looking back at the last three Sundays (25th July, 1st Aug and 8th Aug) they too seemed to be dry over much of the UK, in what has been a changeable weather pattern in recent weeks.

Though I haven't yet delved deeper to see how frequent dry Sundays have occured this summer.

Anybody think of any reasons why Sunday should be the better day of the weekend and perhaps the most reliable of the week?

Saturdays too have been very decent here. I've had a cricket match every Saturday since mid April and were yet to have one rained off.

Just had a look through my records and, amazingly, the only Sunday here since Jan' 10th with a significant amount of rain, by duration or amount between the times when most people are up and about, was June 13th.

Every other has been completely dry or dry for the majority of the day.

On Jan' 10th itself it snowed for most of the day.

Add tomorrow to the list

Their does seem to be a pattern, maybe the timing of weather sequences and the ridge/high just arriving in time for sunday. its interesting!

Their does seem to be a pattern, maybe the timing of weather sequences and the ridge/high just arriving in time for sunday. its interesting!

It's cast iron proof that the weather is actually controlled by Tesco and they make every Sunday dry to boost BBQ, burger and beer sales.

It's cast iron proof that the weather is actually controlled by Tesco and they make every Sunday dry to boost BBQ, burger and beer sales.

Yeah.

anyway back on topic (:

Unfortuntely "dry" only tells part of the story- for many eastern parts yesterday was dry, but also cool and cloudy with a cold wind.

I see the pattern, but it hasn't been as clear down here. In particular it seemed to reverse temporarily in May with the worst weather being reserved for the weekends. May 2 and May 16 were both very wet here.

But it's true that we haven't had a wet Sunday since June 13.

Thought i would come back to the theory of dry sundays, as for my part of the SE the theory continues, and the coming sunday looks dry!

I seem to recall some research that identified Mondays, followed by Tuesdays having the best weather overall (throughout the year). I work Mon-Fri and have done for about 30 years, and it often seems like the weather is best after the weekend.

Yes it does depends what area you are in, but here it is sunday thats the driest day.

Another dry and lovely Sunday here! Sundays do seem to be doing well here also.

Same here with the only nuisance being the wind!

Sunday always seem to have to be different haha. Throughout August, every Sunday was sunny and warm, then we get a sunny and warm week to end August and the first Sunday in September - it rains. Then the first week of September is unsettled and Sunday comes out mostly sunny.

It appears there is a link between pollution particles emitted from vehicles, factories (etc) and weekly weather cycles.

In the States researchers found pollution built progressively as the week went on, helping to trap heat in the atmosphere and seeding raindrops. The added pollution could, apparently, change the way rain clouds develop and thus delaying rainfall - for the weekend. Some parts of the States have noticed weekends are wetter than weekdays.

It has also been noted that the UK is often drier at weekends than during weekdays, whilst Germany is showing the opposite (ie wetter at weekends).

Perhaps, using the pollution particle theories, the pollution we produce in the week helps trap heat in the atmosphere and creates rain clouds, which then get carried on prevailing westerly winds towards Germany and the Low Countries in time for the weekend? (whilst 'clearer', less polluted air brings a fairly decent weekend to the UK?)

A little further reading: http://www.nature.co...08.1017.html

Thanks SH interesting, good link for other interests to if you go to bottom of the page to (Most recent stories) theirs a new story on the ocean conveyer maybe post that link elsewhere on that.

• Heatwave conditions possible to end May

Some parts of the UK could qualify for heatwave conditions during the final days of May. With temperatures widely into the 20s Celsius. Read more here

Jo Farrow
    Jo Farrow
    Latest weather updates from Netweather

Dry, sunny and warm end to May but is there a pattern change on the horizon?

The already very dry May will end with more dry, sunny and warm weather across all of the UK. This theme continues into the first few days of June, but there could be a change on the way later next week. Read the full update here

Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts
    Latest weather updates from Netweather