Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The PIT

Todays New Scare Story

You could run these almost weekly. Mostly they would be about climate change but today we're back to health

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/7936467/New-superbug-could-make-antibiotics-redundant.html

It's not actually a bug but an enzyme that can combine with bacteria to make a new super bug. Cases maybe 50 so far depending on what source you read.

You could run these almost weekly. Mostly they would be about climate change but today we're back to health

http://www.telegraph...-redundant.html

It's not actually a bug but an enzyme that can combine with bacteria to make a new super bug. Cases maybe 50 so far depending on what source you read.

They are wrong on two counts

1st the antibiotic will still work in most cases of bacterial infection.

2nd bleach is a fantastic way of getting rid of bugs!

More garlic anyone?

I'm amazed I've survived the last 20 years.

AIDS

Ozone Layer

Salmonella

Ebola Virus

Swine Flu

Bird Flu

BSE

Global Warming

CJD

MRSA

CDIFF

Guess I'm just a lucky guy !!

AIDS

Ozone Layer

Salmonella

Ebola Virus

Swine Flu

Bird Flu

BSE

Global Warming

CJD

MRSA

CDIFF

I'm sure there's something missing from that list.

I'm sure there's something missing from that list.

wasnt doomsday meant to have come and gone during that time as well?

Hows about super hurricanes?

wasnt doomsday meant to have come and gone during that time as well?

Hows about super hurricanes?

The Y2k bug should've had us all !!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/7936467/New-superbug-could-make-antibiotics-redundant.html

Is MRSA a scare story?

Bacteria swap pieces of genetic material all the time with things called plasmids. Any drug resistance in plasmid DNA is bad news. Imagine shaking hands with someone then from that point on you are immune to cyanide poisoning or sarin nerve gas. That is equivalent of what these bacteria are now doing.

Nothing to do with being wise after the event then, anyone?

Is MRSA a scare story?

Bacteria swap pieces of genetic material all the time with things called plasmids. Any drug resistance in plasmid DNA is bad news. Imagine shaking hands with someone then from that point on you are immune to cyanide poisoning or sarin nerve gas. That is equivalent of what these bacteria are now doing.

Aye. Very True. But that's just the sort of knowledge that newspaper headline-writers often don't have, themselves...And how many folks can be bothered with learning, anyway? Reading (and posting links to) other people's blogs is too much of an easy option (for those with an overwheening desire to appear intelligent) these days...Or am I getting cynical?

Nothing to do with being wise after the event then, anyone?

Also very true.

AIDS

Ozone Layer

Salmonella

Ebola Virus

Swine Flu

Bird Flu

BSE

Global Warming

CJD

MRSA

CDIFF

You sure are. In 2001 alone, HIV/AIDS-associated illnesses caused the deaths of approximately 3 million people worldwide, including an estimated 580,000 children younger than 15 years. Count your blessings!!

I wouldn't so much as say cynical, Pete. But on quiet news days, they have to fill the front pages with something.

I picked up a copy of the Daily Express just an hour or so ago and front page reads...

DON'T TURN THE CLOCKS BACK!

"The Daily Express today launches a crusade to stop Britain being plunged into early evening darkness every Autumn. The 'Time for Change Crusade' would give us an extra hour of daylight in the evening all year".

Yeah, right. Even here in Solihull on 21st/22nd December, the Sun sets at 3:53pm. And extra hour will not make a jot of difference as it will still be dark at 6pm. Or the cynic in me suggests another EU ruling?

But it also means for our friends in Scotland, that the Sun will rise one hour later! (9:15am) And kids go to school in semi darkness? Not too much forward thinking there is there? :cc_confused:

Told you though. Must be a quiet news day. :D

Phil.

AIDS

Ozone Layer

Salmonella

Ebola Virus

Swine Flu

Bird Flu

BSE

Global Warming

CJD

MRSA

CDIFF

How about SARS! Remember all the fuss about that!

How about SARS! Remember all the fuss about that!

Yup I knew one was missing.