Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Do You Remember This?

Backtrack

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

When pretty much the WHOLE country had snow? :rolleyes:

post-8895-050646500 1281209243_thumb.jpg

Edited by Backtrack
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I witnessed the great winter of 2010!

Posted

When pretty much the WHOLE country had snow? :D

post-8895-050646500 1281209243_thumb.jpg

Ah if only it could happen this coming winter! :drunk: First really good snowy spell we have had for years and years. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Posted

Ah if only it could happen this coming winter! :drunk: First really good snowy spell we have had for years and years. :rolleyes:

Here's hoping! :D

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Yes caused me loads of grief.

Posted

It was a mental day, I think that was probably the busiest this board has ever been, must have easily been 5-6000 posts that day!

I remembering somehow getting to Guildford a few days later and there was about 8 inches, but a little further to the south there was a solid foot of snow, it was the first time I've ever seen a solid foot of snow, pretty amazing stuff!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Truly amazing winter, coldest in 31 years and the eigth coldest in the past 100 years, also in the top 20% of coldest winters since records began.

For me, what stood out was the persistant snowcover, from December 18th to January 18th, the snow did not melt. The outstanding event was easily January 5th which brought eight inches of snow and possibly the most since 2000/2001 for a single event, i was also impressed by how often frontal snow events occured, though i was dissapointed that most of them brought the usual 1-2 inches however there were plenty of snow showers.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

That was a great week of snow.

Posted

I hope we get a good period of cold and snow this year,Im not in to very hot temperatures (no problem this year then) and like the Autumn and winter.One down side of all the snow,Im a firefighter, and had one of my busiest winters for Road Traffic collisions,but the vast majority were minor as people tend to keep there speed down.Still you get the odd Idiot in a big executive car doing 80mph in the fast lane driving over 2-3 inches of hardpack.....

Posted

I hope we get a good period of cold and snow this year,Im not in to very hot temperatures (no problem this year then) and like the Autumn and winter.One down side of all the snow,Im a firefighter, and had one of my busiest winters for Road Traffic collisions,but the vast majority were minor as people tend to keep there speed down.Still you get the odd Idiot in a big executive car doing 80mph in the fast lane driving over 2-3 inches of hardpack.....

You can keep your cold winters. I still remember working at Larkhill Met. Office during the 1963/3 winter with 20 foot snow drifts and no heating in the office or the radar. Talk about cold; brass monkeys weren't even in the frame.

Posted

We didn't really get that much snow in the oswestry area, not far into the Welsh mountains did though. HOwever, it was the temps that I'll remember for some time - seeing -12C on the car temp at daybreak was pretty impressive. We went away to Mull of Kintyre over New Year, there was no snow but the temperature did not get above freezing almost all the time we were there, the kids were skating on the streams that flowed over the beach and tha sand was as hard as concrete - I'd never experienced that before!

Posted

We didn't really get that much snow in the oswestry area, not far into the Welsh mountains did though. HOwever, it was the temps that I'll remember for some time - seeing -12C on the car temp at daybreak was pretty impressive. We went away to Mull of Kintyre over New Year, there was no snow but the temperature did not get above freezing almost all the time we were there, the kids were skating on the streams that flowed over the beach and tha sand was as hard as concrete - I'd never experienced that before!

That really would be an achievement to remember. Walking on a frozen beach!