Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Lughnasadh

Posted

Today is the cross-quarter day, Lughnasadh, the half way point between the summer solstice and the autumnal equinox in the northern hemisphere.

It's the period from now onwards when we will really notice the drawing in of the nights.

http://www.archaeoastronomy.com/

Edited by Mr_Data

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

It's also the day to go 'over the broom' with your love! If you decide not then you can undo it this time next year and no hard feelings...........I think it's a good idea to have a trial run esp. with a bleak winter to get yourselves through!!!

• 11 months later...
Posted

Soon come round again, its Lughnasadh tomorrow. We are now leaving the period of the year where we receive the most daylight. We are on the slippery slope where the nights rapidly draw in.

I'd like to thank you Mr D, I really would, but there are some things I'd rather not know! What do we have to look forward to now, aprt from cold, dark nights & mornings & millions of "Will it snow in....." posts. :cray:

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

I read that Lughnasadh is sometimes celebrated on Aug 1st,although aug 7th is the exact date for Lughnasadh. Lugnasadh means the festival of first fruits.

Edited by sundog

• 11 months later...
Posted

Soon come round again, its Lughnasadh tomorrow. We are now leaving the period of the year where we receive the most daylight. We are on the slippery slope where the nights rapidly draw in.

And it's coming around again, next Tuesday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

I saw the thread title and immediately thought it was like one of those drunken texts that people often send where they kind of mash the keypad, except the forum equivalent :p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

There's a part of me that thinks only the solstice/eqinox were important enough to 'fix' to a date and the cross-quarter days are fixed to the nearest full moon. This is purely for practicle reasons as country folk know you can 'play out' under a full moon (and not just around the fire!!) so villages/clans travelling could do so more safely under the bright moon than try and travel under the dark (esp. Sahmain and Imbolc?). Only Oestre keeps to this 'Full moon format' as the Judaic spring festival/passover followed the same tradition.

Posted

We are now on the slippery slope I'm afraid.

About time,too! Been a long time coming,but as a distinctly non-summer type I can now see the darkness at the end of this too bright,too warm tunnel.....