Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

I don't think we will see any just yet although its not impossibel to see ground frosts at any time of the year.

First ground frost - early september and first air frosts Late september/early October.

You can get ground frost anytime of the year and there were number in June as the attached data set shows.

http://www.met.rdg.a...010.html#201006

There will be a few end of July and of course as we enter into August the frequency should increase.

Of course wide spread ground frost is very different to finding some ground frost in some hollow in the highlands of Scotland .

The above dates look about right for that.

Posted
  • Location: Coleraine,Macosquin,County Londonderry, Northern Ireland
  • Location: Coleraine,Macosquin,County Londonderry, Northern Ireland

I can't even pronounce that :lol:

Where is Glenurquhart?

It probably glenquart, got down to 2c here at 5am and it is now 17c!! That is absolutely nuts!

Posted
But it will be where OON lives. His frost hollow is unusually cold. :lol:
Some way off here, with an air temp of 4.6º, but I suppose it could have got close to a ground frost. I need to buy the max min thermometer for the lawn.

For towns ground frosts are ages away, airmass too mild and cloudy for any in the next week or so, always a risk of ground frost though in my local valley which really is like a different world to urban areas being much colder at night when its still and clear as cool air sinks to the bottom of the valley.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

It probably glenquart, got down to 2c here at 5am and it is now 17c!! That is absolutely nuts!

Frosty, it got down to 2c there?

Where do you get these temperature readings from, because they are ridiculous!

Look at this from the Met Office for Ireland, these are last nights readings:

24 hours ending 2200 on 22 Jul 2010:

Northern Ireland Highest max 18.3 °C St Angelo Lowest max 14.6 °C Ballypatrick Forest Lowest min 9.8 °C Altnahinch Filters Highest rainfall 11.0 mm Banagher Caugh Hill Sunniest 1.4 hours Aldergrove

Posted

A tropical 12c min here.

Early june 1991 was the coldest I`ve recorded down to 0c

But otherwise august 1986 gave air frosts,down to -5c in my home county.

Posted

My next door neighbour swears he scraped ice from his windscreen at 6 am this morning !!

I was in too much of a rush this morning to check the min temp in my garden, but it could have been interesting.

Lets hope that's it for 3 months eh? and I hope my courgettes/runner beans are of good hardy stock "!!¬

Karl

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

3 places recorded a air frost according to this

http://www.met.rdg.a...amextremes.html

I think that is the grass minimum you are reading :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

3 places recorded a air frost according to this

http://www.met.rdg.a...amextremes.html

Yes, that's the grass min. I'd be very suprised, even in the most extreme frost hollow, if anywhere recorded an airfrost before mid August!

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

I'm not sure what the average date is for the first air frost is here.. I suppose hilly areas such as the chilterns are among the first places to get frost down here, but usually I have to wait untill mid-late October... sometimes as late as November for a ground frost.

Going as a broad average here away from coastal regions, however Scotland will of usually seen 0C before September is out, and England before October is out.

Posted

I had some success this year in predicting 15C, 20C and 25C within five days, though i did get 30C wrong, so here are my predictions for the first 0C readings in city locations only, going by the Met Office sensors.

Scotland - 10th September

England - 15th October

Quite early compared to recent years, i really can't see a warm Autumn.

Posted

Nothing like a ground frost, but I recorded a min temp of 8.9C here this morning which makes it the coldest night in July since 2004. Its only 2C above the record min, so I wouldnt be suprised at all if areas further north recorded such low temperatures.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Trees still green around here, Blackberries only just forming, some still in flower. Definitely still Summer in Somerset.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

I hope its still summer everywhere! :D

Everything still nice and green here and so it should be. Anything brown here is dying leaves off plants because were simply not getting enough rain.

Its noticeable that the evenings are getting a bit darker now but now is not the time i look forward to Autumn and Winer. Now is the time to be outside enjoying yourself, not stuck inside complaining because its cold and raining outside!

Posted

Everything still summer here, bar the usual brown leaves that always fall at this time of year, which has little to do with autumn.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

People talking of trees losing their leaves already? :shok: Usually here a few, and I mean only a few start to fall off in late August, and then its mid-late September before they really start turning brown and falling.. it usually takes untill the beggining of November before they are bare, Although I remember I think 2007 when trees were still fully leaved in October!

I'm looking forward to winter, but not at the moment, I will still be looking for heat untill September is out, and then mild conditions untill December.. I hate October/November as it's usually too cold to wear short sleeves (although occasionally it's warm enough in early October on the odd 20C day to wear shorts) but not cold enough to really dress up...

Posted

Everything still summer here, bar the usual brown leaves that always fall at this time of year, which has little to do with autumn.

Lack of rain's causing leaf-fall here !!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

Foliage has started to change colour and blackberries are beggining to appear a month in advance cc_confused.gif Sign of things to come ???

We had our first blackberry crumble of the 'season' yesterday with some huge juicy blackberries - looks like this year will be a bumper crop too loads and loads of berries around and about in various stages (green still through to black in the sun traps). Trees are still largely green though with only a few leaves shed.

Posted

i love autumn as the days grow short and winter beckons. But here there are no signs of autumn just yet. I hope that the last month of summer and then autumn brings more rain as things are looking very dry outside.

Posted

We had our first blackberry crumble of the 'season' yesterday with some huge juicy blackberries - looks like this year will be a bumper crop too loads and loads of berries around and about in various stages (green still through to black in the sun traps). Trees are still largely green though with only a few leaves shed.

funnily enough i was thinking the other day while walking the dog, the berries are really late around my area. although we have had some non-stop sun this summer there has been so little rain i think the berry crop may be stunted this year.

i walked the dog before coming to work this morning. around 0415, and it was the first morning for a while where it was still dark. at least the sun was coming up as i left for wor at 0530. soon i will be back to commuting in the dark and not seen daylight all day