Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Yes true true - it's just that it isn't practical with our current working lifestyles... unless you want a 12 hour working day with a quick nap at your desk! :D

Are you lot for real???!!!!! :lol:

You've just broken the all time record for 'Summer is over' with this thread in the middle of July!!!

If you'd been here in the last three weeks you'd be spamming this thread like a man possessed :)

In theory you would have a siesta and go to sleep. There is scientific evidence thats supports this actually being good for you and is probably why people get tired just after lunch.

I thought that was just me getting old before my time wanting a wee snooze after lunch :D

Posted

It's been the warmest 'Autumn' day on record here. Highest temperature 28.8c and the lowest this morning 17.8c lol.

And here - 29 on Monday, 28 yesterday and looks like it's going to hit at least 25 degrees again today with long warm sunny spells. A lovely autumn! The poor old North !

Posted

Not sure how that'd work here (and I do often how it works in any modern western country these days) - what would you do for 4 hours assuming you work far away from home? You couldn't (well shouldn't!) go to the pub on your 4 hour lunch break so after a while you'd just end up sat in the office where, assuming air con, it may well be cooler! You'd then not get home till gone 10 leaving no time at all.

I think it works if you run a business from home or very nearby but impossible otherwise.

As for humidity - today is indeed oppressive and not what I call enjoyable heat. Too little sun, too little fresh air!

Agreed in some ways. In Greece they just do it by splitting the day and going to bed late, and having basically 2 smaller sleeps.

So get up at 7 or 8 am, go to work, work til 12 or 1

Home for a sleep, lunch or chill out for a few hours.

Back to work at 4:30, work til 8 or 9.

Go home / stay out/ up until 2am and repeat!

The shops in Athens don't shut in the middle of the day any more but in every other town and city they do the traditional afternoon "stop".

I always thought a siesta was just an hour, but it's a good 4 hours downtime.

Most people in Greece (and in most other European countries for that matter) don't commute more than a few miles to work - long distance/ time spent commuting is a British/ American affliction and it is totally bonkers if you ask me. So they can easily pop home and have a rest .

i agree the way we are set up here with so many commuters, partic in the South East, it's impractical, which is a shame!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

Agreed in some ways. In Greece they just do it by splitting the day and going to bed late, and having basically 2 smaller sleeps.

So get up at 7 or 8 am, go to work, work til 12 or 1

Home for a sleep, lunch or chill out for a few hours.

Back to work at 4:30, work til 8 or 9.

Go home / stay out/ up until 2am and repeat!

The shops in Athens don't shut in the middle of the day any more but in every other town and city they do the traditional afternoon "stop".

I always thought a siesta was just an hour, but it's a good 4 hours downtime.

Most people in Greece (and in most other European countries for that matter) don't commute more than a few miles to work - long distance/ time spent commuting is a British/ American affliction and it is totally bonkers if you ask me. So they can easily pop home and have a rest .

i agree the way we are set up here with so many commuters, partic in the South East, it's impractical, which is a shame!

Bit late to change the commuter situation now. To be fair our economy is geared completely differently to that of the med countries and thus such a siesta idea would not be practical and lets be honest it only nudges above 30c a few times in an average summer.

Anyway back to the topic of the thread! We will soon be losing 3mins of daylight a day! I will lose half an hour in the next 9 days.......great! :pardon:

...but surely if you love the cold why do you like hiding away from it in a blanket next to a fire? It's like me saying I love hot weather because I can run into a freezing air conditioned room! :D

A true cold lover would sit outside in -5c in just a t-shirt soaking up all that cold in much the way I do in 30c heat...

Of course I'm just being a facetious fool there but I guess it is somewhat of a valid point about warm lovers vs cold lovers. Heat lovers like to bask in the sun & warmth (since it generally takes hold indoors and outdoors at the same time there's often no choice anyway) whereas the cold lovers seem to want to hide from their climate of choice (with a huge difference temperature wise between indoors and out). Perhaps since cold conditions are much less hospitable to us humans than warmth is.

I love being outside when it's cold, maybe not in a t-shirt but I certainly like the cold crisp air against my face and in my lungs with the crisp crunch of frozen ground underfoot. Looking at cold weather from a warm house; what's the point in that?

So you do have a point, I can't understand that one either :lol: :)

And here - 29 on Monday, 28 yesterday and looks like it's going to hit at least 25 degrees again today with long warm sunny spells. A lovely autumn! The poor old North !

We were doing fine in the North until July started. I like summer when it is like the June we've just had, but all we've had in July is rain and rain and more rain. Quite frankly I'd rather it was autumn then at least there would be the chance of a good storm or even something a little cool and frosty.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

interesting views of Auturmn on here.

Anyway i love the trees display their golden beauty, the first frost the brewing atlantic ,the gales and squally showers and anvil tops, the possible variety is huge, even october snow! just imagine snow in 3months time.

Posted

ground frost on the cards tomorrrow in the glens. or grass frost as they are now calling it on the bbc. why? whilst summer has a way to go, i'm avid for autumn

Yes they were still saying that on the breakfast forecast this morning :drinks:

Still 16c here tonight though, too hot!

Oh well at least the signs of autumn are perhaps creeping in somewhere pardon.gif

Edited by Radiating Dendrite

Posted

Anyway back to the topic of the thread! We will soon be losing 3mins of daylight a day! I will lose half an hour in the next 9 days.......great! :drinks:

Been working a lot of nights of late,and while the shortening of the days is painfully slow at the evening end,it's coming on a pace in the mornings. This time last month we had the horrendous "perpetual twilight" situation and the light increasing after 2am! Now,it's not far off needing the car headlights on for the journey home. Oh it's coming alright - bring it on!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Been working a lot of nights of late,and while the shortening of the days is painfully slow at the evening end,it's coming on a pace in the mornings. This time last month we had the horrendous "perpetual twilight" situation and the light increasing after 2am! Now,it's not far off needing the car headlights on for the journey home. Oh it's coming alright - bring it on!!

I sometime work to 7pm or 7.30pm and on the road cira 8pm last night some people had their lights on !!

I refuse to put my lights on at 8pm till at least October :drinks:

Edited by stewfox

Posted

I sometime work to 7pm or 7.30pm and on the road cira 8pm last night some people had their lights on !!

I refuse to put my lights on at 8pm till at least October :drinks:

Do you consume large quantities of carrots? biggrin.gif

When would we expect to usually start seeing our first central area frosts? Mid September time?

I know here in London it won't be till late September/early October.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I think a quick nap at lunchtime can help but in my experience 15-30 minutes is helpful enough- no need for 2 to 4 hour ones.

I suppose one idea of having a lunchtime siesta lasting 4 hours is that you'd then need 4 hours' less sleep overnight so it would become feasible to work, say, from 9am to 9pm with a 4 hour sleep in the middle but then not need to go to bed until 4am. Still, I prefer to be up during daylight hours because it tends to feature more interesting weather than midnight to 4am when it is pitch black.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

Do you consume large quantities of carrots? biggrin.gif

When would we expect to usually start seeing our first central area frosts? Mid September time?

I know here in London it won't be till late September/early October.

I'm not sure what the average date is for the first air frost is here.. I suppose hilly areas such as the chilterns are among the first places to get frost down here, but usually I have to wait untill mid-late October... sometimes as late as November for a ground frost.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Hey everyone. It looks like tonight could deliver a ground frost in parts of Scotland as temperatures fall very close to 0c.

Obviously if the GFS is wrong, where do you think the first GROUND frost will occur, and at what date? :lol:

I should of named this thread 'first frost of summer/autumn' :lol:

post-8895-040683800 1279797399_thumb.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Hey everyone. It looks like tonight could deliver a ground frost in parts of Scotland as temperatures fall very close to 0c.

Obviously if the GFS is wrong, where do you think the first GROUND frost will occur, and at what date? :yahoo:

I should of named this thread 'first frost of summer/autumn' :yahoo:

I don't think we will see any just yet although its not impossibel to see ground frosts at any time of the year.

First ground frost - early september and first air frosts Late september/early October.

Posted

I don't think we will see any just yet although its not impossibel to see ground frosts at any time of the year.

First ground frost - early september and first air frosts Late september/early October.

At what location?

I'm going to stick my head out here and say it wont be in the highlands.

But it will be where OON lives. His frost hollow is unusually cold. :yahoo:

Posted
  • Location: Coleraine,Macosquin,County Londonderry, Northern Ireland
  • Location: Coleraine,Macosquin,County Londonderry, Northern Ireland

I don't think i will get one but somewhere in the glens of antrim or the sperrins will more than likely get one, its 7c here now and i'd say i'll get down to 2/3c and maybe 1c if i'm lucky, that is definately cold enough for 0/-1c in the hills.

Posted

Tulloch bridge last night hit 2.3c. That could of been the first groundfrost of the summer/autumn! :cray:

Tulloch bridge last night hit 2.3c. That could of been the first groundfrost of the summer/autumn! :cray:

The lady on the ITV weather forecast last night suggested the possibility of a touch of frost in parts of Scotland, with an air temp of 2.3C there is no reason why there wasn't a slight touch of frost at ground level.

Posted

The lady on the ITV weather forecast last night suggested the possibility of a touch of frost in parts of Scotland, with an air temp of 2.3C there is no reason why there wasn't a slight touch of frost at ground level.

Cool. It's very early though for even Scotland. It doesnt get dark in some parts till 10:30pm so taking into consideration it was 15C there at 11pm last night, it took some cooling to knock off 13c. Still, could be a sign of things to come, I hope. :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Aye, we used to get GFs throughout the summer in Glenurquhart...

Posted

Aye, we used to get GFs throughout the summer in Glenurquhart...

I can't even pronounce that :lol:

Where is Glenurquhart?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

Probably after mid October here..