Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn

Posted

Septembers have certainly changed since I started taking weather records. In Tyneside, between 1992 and 2002 inclusive, only two Septembers could have reasonably been described as warm and sunny (1997, 1999). I always used to associate September with cold winds, stratus and a sharp stinging drizzle. Yet from 2003 onwards, all Septembers bar 2008 have been warm and sunny.

Yes, last September was very dry with no rainfall for nearly four weeks, if it had continued into October I'm pretty sure water restrictions would of had to been put in place. Though this was only for my area and I understand most of East Anglia too, most other areas saw measurable rainfall.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

I've got it that bad that I took to lying on the bed of an evening in precisely the same spot,watching the line of shadow cast by the setting sun and seeing how much it changes from one evening to the next in relation to a set reference point on the wall,and noting the exact time the last glimmer of the sun's disc slipped below the horizon. I'm glad to report that I don't need to resort to such things now,as the shortening days are starting to become obviously apparent,and the pace is accelerating. Lord knows I've enough to worry about in my life right now,but this turnaround feels like one load less to carry. Anyone else 'suffer' to this sort of extreme?

I'm with you all the way Laserguy. My fixed reference point on the wall is reserved for morning breakfast and as the sun creeps into an ever more southerly position I take great pleasure in the ever widening gap between the point noted on June 21st and its current position.

I also have a printed sheet of sunrise and sunset times for each day of the year for my exact latitude and this is studied each evening to savour the number of minutes of diminishing daylight.

The weather this last week has been an added bonus as each day of wind and rain is gradually nibbling away at what remains of summer. With every unsettled spell I think, perhaps it will last x number of days or weeks and by that time the sun will be setting at... etc etc.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

I'm glad they are getting shorter means I'll get more sleep as My Mother will still in bed and not operate to the sun as much.

Posted

This is what I hope for this Autumn

Sep- Warm with above average day-time tempratures, high pressure centered over the Uk bringing pleanty of fine and dry weather. Then a gradual cool down of night-time tempratures with frosts recorded in frost hollowes and tempertures around 4-6.c at night for most of the Uk.

Oct- After a month dominated by high-pressure a dramatic change to un-settled conditons with strong to gale-force winds for much of of the country, rainfall above average with tempratures average to slightly cooler in the north. Inbetween low pressures risk of night time frosts for N.England and Scotland.

Nov- Octobers unsettled theme continues, this time more emphasis on northerly winds in-between each low, bringing sunshine and snow showers with night-time frosts across the whole of the country. Towards the end of November Uk sees a rapid cool-down, high pressure asserts itself and nothern blocking takes hold...

Edited by 10123

Posted

Its summer for crying outloud- and should be like 85--95F out!!!!! No wonder we have an autumn thread open...

hmm. should be 85 -95 out.

Not sure even the Mediterranean average is that hot in the summer.

Unreal expectations are amusing.

Posted

means we are getting closer to the snow season!!!!

I bet it will be a wild autumn with us having the depressions set up by the predicted 'above average' hurricane season.

As for snow, n1russ, don't reckon we'll see much. Just wild and mild winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Yes I'd like to see a wild autumn during October/November (after another sunny & warm Sept of course!).

Recent autumns have stayed generally mild and dry which was a kick in the teeth after the last few summers that preceded them. Watching the rain fall all summer only for things to dry up when sunset has retreated to 6pm was very frustrating!

Hopefully this year will be the other way round - a good summer followed by a windy & stormy autumn.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

I find October and November to be the worst months weatherwise.. I'm hoping for a warm September, and a warm October, maybe a 25C in early October? that would do me nicely..

November i'm not too bothered about, but i'd prefer it to be milder, as I hate the typical November set up of 10C, cloudy, dark and rainy... horrible weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

November i'm not too bothered about, but i'd prefer it to be milder, as I hate the typical November set up of 10C, cloudy, dark and rainy... horrible weather

Cloudy, dark and rainy! Now we're talking! Let's get the temperature down to around 2c at the same time with the rain turning to sleet or wet snow and the hills shrouded in low cloud.

Excuse me a moment while I wipe away this little drool of saliva.

Edited by Terminal Moraine

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

Cloudy, dark and rainy! Now we're talking! Let's get the temperature down to around 2c at the same time with the rain turning to sleet or wet snow and the hills shrouded in low cloud.

Excuse me a moment while I wipe away this little drool of saliva.

Haha, each to their own, I guess :lol:

Posted

I'm with you all the way Laserguy. My fixed reference point on the wall is reserved for morning breakfast and as the sun creeps into an ever more southerly position I take great pleasure in the ever widening gap between the point noted on June 21st and its current position.

I also have a printed sheet of sunrise and sunset times for each day of the year for my exact latitude and this is studied each evening to savour the number of minutes of diminishing daylight.

The weather this last week has been an added bonus as each day of wind and rain is gradually nibbling away at what remains of summer. With every unsettled spell I think, perhaps it will last x number of days or weeks and by that time the sun will be setting at... etc etc.

Ha! The missus just thinks I'm weird,and wants to know why I've put vertical strips of black tape on the wall in one centimetre increments! I put it down to my recently diagnosed condition (Asperger's),one of the characteristics of which is becoming truly obsessive about something and keeping notes! I too consult the sunrise/sunset tables countless times a day,in the futile hope that they'll somehow have changed favourably in the meantime. Crazy! Going slightly OT (and I'm sure it'll have been covered elsewhere),but does anyone else find it immensely infuriating when the TV weather forecasters say how "glorious,gorgeous,beautiful" etc etc it's going to be when the outlook is sunny and warm? The sun has it's uses for sure,but who in their right mind wants to bask in the warm rosy glow of a controlled thermonuclear blast? If I was dishing out the forecast I'd be saying how dreadful it's going to be,and saving my gushing enthusiasm for a forecast of howling wind and lashing rain or anything considered "inclement". Guess I'd soon be booted off,but going by the posts on here I'd say the perceived preference for "sunny and warm" may be somewhat inaccurate? C'mon,hands up - who can't wait 'til Autumn? Be honest now,and don't say you prefer summer just 'because you're 'supposed' to - like we all adore Xmas too!

Posted

I bet it will be a wild autumn with us having the depressions set up by the predicted 'above average' hurricane season.

As for snow, n1russ, don't reckon we'll see much. Just wild and mild winter.

i hope your wrong! was a good year last winter for snow, hoping this one will be better!

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

C'mon,hands up - who can't wait 'til Autumn? Be honest now,and don't say you prefer summer just 'because you're 'supposed' to - like we all adore Xmas too!

I cant wait till Autumn,i love Autumn just as much as winter. I particularly like around Halloween time,i find it a special time of year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snow. Summer: Hot and Dry

The end of Summer couldn't come soon enough for me! I finished school on May7th this year and Im bored out of my I have a problem! I hate the long days and the warm weather, it makes me feel really uncomfortable, in winter you can make your self warmer by putting my clothes on ect but in the summer theres nothing much you can do when outside except from wearing loose clothes and having a fan. Ofcorse in the car you can put the aircon on. Im stuck up with hayfever and its harder to work out because its so warm. I want summer over and done with so I can get back to sixth form in september and be busy again! Im actually doing stuff over the next 2 weeks though so summer stay for another 2 weeks and Il be happy, Im cycling from Brecon to Cardiff through the Brecon Beacons next week then going camping in West Wales for a week after that please get cooler and wetter. Felt lovely end of last week, it was raining the temperture was hovering around 13c and the wind was awesome, just walking round feeling so refreshed. Bring on Auturm! Hopeing for the tempertures to cool down rapidly this year and fall into a winter colder than last year. Im a bit wierd, it was -12c here at the start of January and I had my window open ! lol. Just love the cold. Because when your cold its awesome to wrap up in a nice blanket by a fire and watch tele witha hot choclate.

Edited by Wales123098

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Would love an early Autumn this year! Would also like to get some Autumn snowfall, as the last time we had snow in Autumn was November 2005! I love the cold weather more so than the warmer weather, so a rapid cool down would be perfect!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

The end of Summer couldn't come soon enough for me! I finished school on May7th this year and Im bored out of my I have a problem! I hate the long days and the warm weather, it makes me feel really uncomfortable, in winter you can make your self warmer by putting my clothes on ect but in the summer theres nothing much you can do when outside except from wearing loose clothes and having a fan. Ofcorse in the car you can put the aircon on. Im stuck up with hayfever and its harder to work out because its so warm. I want summer over and done with so I can get back to sixth form in september and be busy again! Im actually doing stuff over the next 2 weeks though so summer stay for another 2 weeks and Il be happy, Im cycling from Brecon to Cardiff through the Brecon Beacons next week then going camping in West Wales for a week after that please get cooler and wetter. Felt lovely end of last week, it was raining the temperture was hovering around 13c and the wind was awesome, just walking round feeling so refreshed. Bring on Auturm! Hopeing for the tempertures to cool down rapidly this year and fall into a winter colder than last year. Im a bit wierd, it was -12c here at the start of January and I had my window open ! lol. Just love the cold. Because when your cold its awesome to wrap up in a nice blanket by a fire and watch tele witha hot choclate.

I share the sentiments expressed in that last paragraph!

I love Autumn and Winter, there is just something a special about these months for me. The light that you get on a late afternoon (around 3-4pm) can be spectacular, especially on a still day with a nice early frost setting in.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

...but surely if you love the cold why do you like hiding away from it in a blanket next to a fire? It's like me saying I love hot weather because I can run into a freezing air conditioned room! :D

A true cold lover would sit outside in -5c in just a t-shirt soaking up all that cold in much the way I do in 30c heat...

Of course I'm just being a facetious fool there but I guess it is somewhat of a valid point about warm lovers vs cold lovers. Heat lovers like to bask in the sun & warmth (since it generally takes hold indoors and outdoors at the same time there's often no choice anyway) whereas the cold lovers seem to want to hide from their climate of choice (with a huge difference temperature wise between indoors and out). Perhaps since cold conditions are much less hospitable to us humans than warmth is.

Posted
Of course I'm just being a facetious fool there but I guess it is somewhat of a valid point about warm lovers vs cold lovers. Heat lovers like to bask in the sun & warmth (since it generally takes hold indoors and outdoors at the same time there's often no choice anyway) whereas the cold lovers seem to want to hide from their climate of choice (with a huge difference temperature wise between indoors and out).

Not quite. I love going out in cold winter weather dressed in layers, watching my breath slowly disappear into the clear frosty air. Last January, walking round the snow-covered park at sundown with the sky having turned a strange orange/purple hue was pure bliss. Sitting around a roaring fire with a glass of brandy is also nice, but it's just one facet of the winter experience.

I also like summer sunshine and heat, but it's nice to sit in the shade too. Try staying out in the hot sun when it's pushing 40C outside (as it was when I was in Seville on Saturday). I loved the heat there, but it was nice to cool off. If there's high humidity to go along with the heat, you can't even sit comfortably in the shade as the air is so heavy. I loved being out in Shanghai last summer, but without air-conditioning to return to I probably would have ended up going completely mad.

Perhaps since cold conditions are much less hospitable to us humans than warmth is.

I'm not so sure. You can at least wrap up as much as you want if it's too cold; you can't take your skin off if it's too hot.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

I'm not so sure. You can at least wrap up as much as you want if it's too cold; you can't take your skin off if it's too hot.

It depends on the degree of warmth. There sure is a point when it gets too hot, even in this country but so far this summer there have been plenty of days where its been very pleasant without a nagging chilly breeze but cool enough for it to be comfortable. Perfect for someone like me who loves the outdoors in summer.

Posted

That's right - the heat is pretty much inescapable when going about day-to-day life. It grinds me down and wears me down and winds me up. I have a great tolerance for cold,must be all those years spent riding motorbikes in all weathers - I have fond memories of riding my first motorbike at every chance during the brutal cold of '81! I'm the guy walking around in a t-shirt saying it's mild when everyone else has frozen to the spot,and I'm a lithe 11 stone,some might say skinny. Anyway,each to his own,I don't begrudge Botte his heat,enjoy it while it lasts. Another day closer to Autumn when it'll be our turn :pardon: .

Posted

But UK heat is very very rarely too much - unlike southern Europe or Africa/Middle East with temps 40c+ (which IS inhospitable for life no doubt). We don't get the sort of heat that kills/injures people or damages crops very often.

UK cold on the other hand causes many more problems - e.g. as soon as temp drops below 0c I'm risking broken bones everyday just going to and from work. I injured myself once (not badly) and a friend of mine broke her wrist on ice too. On the other hand I've known no one suffer injury or illness from heat.

That's right - the heat is pretty much inescapable when going about day-to-day life. It grinds me down and wears me down and winds me up. I have a great tolerance for cold,must be all those years spent riding motorbikes in all weathers - I have fond memories of riding my first motorbike at every chance during the brutal cold of '81! I'm the guy walking around in a t-shirt saying it's mild when everyone else has frozen to the spot,and I'm a lithe 11 stone,some might say skinny. Anyway,each to his own,I don't begrudge Botte his heat,enjoy it while it lasts. Another day closer to Autumn when it'll be our turn :rofl: .

Funny thing is I also have a large tolerance to cold. I'm coatless long before most people and don't mind extremely low temps despite the risk to life & limb (yes I did get hurt last winter on ice!).

I like the extremes - the first week of Jan was perfect winter weather - sunny with icy winds and temps below 0c all day. But as I've said a few times before - most of UK winter is not like that. It is on average 2c-6c under grey skies - what's fun or pleasant about that? At least average summer weather is pleasant even to heat haters (20-22c is the average and isn't at all hot).

Either way it's down to taste - I will continue to enjoy this lovely time of year and live in dread of my least favourite (and most unsafe feeling) month of November...

Posted

It depends on the degree of warmth. There sure is a point when it gets too hot, even in this country but so far this summer there have been plenty of days where its been very pleasant without a nagging chilly breeze but cool enough for it to be comfortable. Perfect for someone like me who loves the outdoors in summer.

Heat starts getting really intolerable when its 28deg C + with humidity, or 35 deg C + without humidity. In the UK we often get humidity with the heat and i would say today is a good example of it being "unpleasantly warm" - its 28, its sunny now but the humidity is dreadful.

I was in mainland Greece the other week and it wasnt humid, but when it's 35+ during the day, even without humidity, you just don't want to be out in the sun, and lying on a beach in it would be pure madness (people do - they are bonkers).

I'm always baffled that so many people go to greek islands in August and it on a beach, it's really not a pleasant time of the year and quite uncomfortable.

It's lovely in the mornings before 11 and evenings after 5, but the 12-4 period is just "stay indoors" time, which is what the locals do (i'm talking about normal towns, not resorts).

They shut their shops, close their shutters in their houses and have long quiet afternoon, before re-opening at 5 pm and staying out shopping, doing business, drinking coffee, or having meals and returning home late at 2am.

It's crazy here that when we have heatwaves, we don't alter our routines similarly and split the day as above.

Posted

It's crazy here that when we have heatwaves, we don't alter our routines similarly and split the day as above.

Not sure how that'd work here (and I do often how it works in any modern western country these days) - what would you do for 4 hours assuming you work far away from home? You couldn't (well shouldn't!) go to the pub on your 4 hour lunch break so after a while you'd just end up sat in the office where, assuming air con, it may well be cooler! You'd then not get home till gone 10 leaving no time at all.

I think it works if you run a business from home or very nearby but impossible otherwise.

As for humidity - today is indeed oppressive and not what I call enjoyable heat. Too little sun, too little fresh air!

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Not sure how that'd work here (and I do often how it works in any modern western country these days) - what would you do for 4 hours assuming you work far away from home? You couldn't (well shouldn't!) go to the pub on your 4 hour lunch break so after a while you'd just end up sat in the office where, assuming air con, it may well be cooler! You'd then not get home till gone 10 leaving no time at all.

I think it works if you run a business from home or very nearby but impossible otherwise.

As for humidity - today is indeed oppressive and not what I call enjoyable heat. Too little sun, too little fresh air!

In theory you would have a siesta and go to sleep. There is scientific evidence thats supports this actually being good for you and is probably why people get tired just after lunch.