Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn

I know that there may be brickbats coming my way for even mentioning Autumn and that this thread could well be closed due to untimeliness, but the weather is quite Autumnal today. :blink:

As Autumn is such a lovely time, it's nice to be able to talk about it. We do, after all, have a Winter 2010/2011 thread going. So could we keep this one here available as a First Signs Of Autumn thread? I can start it off by saying, as I already have, that the weather is quite Autumnal today and who knows......perhaps we have had the best of the Summer and it's going to become ever-increasingly Autumnal from now on?

The nights are drawing in, aren't they? :D

Give me the autumn/winter any time... positively despise the summer months! Today was proper lovely weather wise me thinks! :)

Posted

As much as I hate the critters, but I tend to see House Spiders as a good sign of Autumn. There a good indicator of when the Autumn Equinox is on the way aswell as the lowering of the Temperatures thoughout August-October.

Not to mention the Harvest festivals and signs that nature is beginning to prepare for the winter months.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

I know you really dislike like summer weather, but would you be happy if even in summer it was never sunny or above 17C? What are your limits on wanting cool unsettled weather compared to summery weather?

Even with my preferences I'm realistic enough to accept that even the most unsettled summers will have a few sunny and warm days or even a short warm and sunny spell and I can live with that. My real dislike is of prolonged spells of azores anticyclone type weather or in fact any prolonged spells of warm/hot/sunny weather.

With regard to the limits on what I could accept in the unsettled and cool camp, suffice to say it would be well outside the comprehension of 98% of the good members of this forum.

Posted

I don't usually start thinking about autumn until around the third week of August. Right now I am in full summer mode and doubt I will return to reading this thread until late August.

Posted

Just as portents of things to come, this morning I noticed a Rowan tree up the road which has lovely red berries. I know that this is normal for Rowans in Summer, but it is a portent! Also, I noticed some tiny flower buds forming on my Chrysanthemums......my favourite Autumn flower.

I was also wondering how the Autumn leaf display is likely to be this year. I know that the weather through the Summer dictates this, so what would the long warm/hot and very dry spell mean for the display?

As SNOW_JOKE mentioned....the spiders will be coming in. That is something that occurred to me when I was closing the windows the other night. I don't like spiders, but I don't kill them, I put a jam jar over them, then slide a piece of card underneath the jar and fling the whole lot out of the window/door. I retrieve the jar in the morning for re-use!

Daddy-long-legs will be appearing too in September, but if I recall correctly there were hardly any last year and I put that down to the Summer weather, although for the life of me I can't recall what Summer was like last year.

I could witter on for ages about Autumn.....I love it, love it, love it!

Posted

Just as portents of things to come, this morning I noticed a Rowan tree up the road which has lovely red berries. I know that this is normal for Rowans in Summer.......

I could witter on for ages about Autumn.....I love it, love it, love it!

I walk past a mature Rowan on the way to school with the nipper on a morning,and the berries on that have been full-red for three weeks. Can't honestly say that I've noticed when they've reached that stage in summers gone by,but it seems early to me. I mean,they'll be there for at least the next two months - in a state of maturity?? We'll know when summer's in it's death throes and Autumn is imminent when those blasted supermarket adverts stop mentioning the word "barbecue" on every airing,and try their best to offload their Xmas tat on us instead. Today is good btw,from my window I can see slate grey skies which promise rain,and the capricious wind is gusting in ever-increasing fits and starts and rattling the window frames. Splendid! I know where there's a black cherry tree which is groaning under the weight of fruit - going to raid it tomorrow and knock up a few gallons of cherry brandy - just as I did on this very weekend last year!

Posted
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme winter cold,heavy bowing snow,freezing fog.Summer 2012
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet

I think everyone knows my preferences; this is one of my favourite records by Green Day, I wonder why?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdSsvoOevpM

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

In terms of Autumn, i am expecting it to be quite mixed, a cool and wet eptember followed by a drier and warm October before the first real cold push during November which will be cool and dry.

Pretty much sums up my thoughts that :clap:

As for thoughts of Autumn, get July out of the way and I think the lessening of daylight becomes really noticeable; also the trees do start looking a little bit tired the further into August you go i.e the leaves begin to look very dull.

Edited by CreweCold

Posted

Well it is very autumnal here with the second morning running of appreciable rainfall, strong winds and only 10c. Back to wearing fleeces and wellies on the farm and the heating is back on in the house in the mornings. Temperatures on the top of Cairngorm have been into the low single figures on the last few days and somme pretty cool nights are forecast for next week up there. So I am hoping some warmer weather will make it up here later this month.

Posted

A very typical British summer overall. It's been warm at times and windy too with rainfall. June was one of the best in the last 100 years. Amazing how perceptions change so quickly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Well talking of 'nights drawing in' I don't see it around here.

There is still blue sky around at 12:30am (although faded)

But there's still a glimmer of light at 12:30am.

Long way to go until winter though cold fans. :lol:

In terms of Autumn, i am expecting it to be quite mixed, a cool and wet eptember followed by a drier and warm October before the first real cold push during November which will be cool and dry.

Cool!

A new month! Eptember! :lol:

Posted

I suspect we will see the Azores high dominate our weather for a good chunk of the rest of the year but I'm not confident enough yet to say whether it'll sit over the UK or stay out west and keep weak northerlies coming down maybe like August 2006 but a little later in the year. Probably a bit of both. I suspect both September and October come in above average, November though is a much harder call, esp the last half as there is a chance the PV will not be able to become established till quite late IMO...if that doesn't happen I'd have thought a fairly zonal November, but if it does happen, could see something close to November 2005.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

I suspect we will see the Azores high dominate our weather for a good chunk of the rest of the year but I'm not confident enough yet to say whether it'll sit over the UK or stay out west and keep weak northerlies coming down maybe like August 2006 but a little later in the year. Probably a bit of both. I suspect both September and October come in above average, November though is a much harder call, esp the last half as there is a chance the PV will not be able to become established till quite late IMO...if that doesn't happen I'd have thought a fairly zonal November, but if it does happen, could see something close to November 2005.

I'm sorry but there's no way in hell you can predict what it will be like in any of the months stated.

We can't even get the weather right two weeks in advanced, never mind 2-4 months!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Even with my preferences I'm realistic enough to accept that even the most unsettled summers will have a few sunny and warm days or even a short warm and sunny spell and I can live with that. My real dislike is of prolonged spells of azores anticyclone type weather or in fact any prolonged spells of warm/hot/sunny weather.

With regard to the limits on what I could accept in the unsettled and cool camp, suffice to say it would be well outside the comprehension of 98% of the good members of this forum.

I think I'm often with you on cloudy anticyclonic weather, but when it comes to sunny anticyclonic weather we start to differ strongly- which is fine, as the world would be boring if we were all the same. I think it's nice that there are others out there whose preferences are even more strongly different to the perceived "norm" than mine are.

In the meantime I think this has been an unusually "autumnal" type depression for this early in the season with its strong winds. Some were considering the possibility that we could have more of them this year because of the expectation of an active hurricane season with ex-hurricanes helping to bolster Atlantic lows. However, it's not unprecedented- I remember a gale in Tyneside on the 22nd June 2008, and parts of Scotland had gales in the second week of June 2000, and June is traditionally less prone to active Atlantic systems than July.

Posted

I'm sorry but there's no way in hell you can predict what it will be like in any of the months stated.

We can't even get the weather right two weeks in advanced, never mind 2-4 months!!

Whilst I do somewhat agree you can get a pretty good feel for what is possible, I'd obviously have to say all of what I said isn't in high confidence, but that being said given the global trends right now, you can make a reasonable guess of at least the global pattern, any further then that and its simply educated guesswork based on previous years that have had similar patterns aloft....though some people in the US are certainly getting rather impressive results in terms of long range forecasting, I'd imagine GP is also up there at times in those ranks.

Whats interesting to see recently is the Azores High has been dominant, thats a classic La Nina pattern and given the general pattern is very slack in terms of change right now I'd feel confident with the Azores High being the No.1 player for the next couple of months at least, and typically La Nina Autumns/winters also have a dominant Azores High. The tricky thing is where it sits, there can be big practical weather differences with the possible variations.

Edited by kold weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Autumn comes between summer and winter and yet people seem to bypass it and go straight to wondering what winter will bring.

I think particularity on this forum ‘Autumn gets in the way’.

Come mid September there will be the usual ‘what’s the chance of snow from that system on the highest northern hills’.

You definitely notice a season change by the end of August but ramping of cold weather kind of squashes the Autumn season to 2/3 weeks.

Happy to discuss Autumn in July as long as its over by the end of September then

I can moan about having no snow in October :cc_confused:

Edited by stewfox

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I think it's the inverse of the same problem that we get during spring- many people are interested only in snow (winter) and hot dry sunny weather or thunderstorms (summer) and nothing else.

I must admit that I think of autumn as the least interesting time of year for weather, particularly late October/November, but even here there are exceptions. However I prefer not to think of autumn too much until September- indeed I can think of quite a few recent years when September was more like an extension of summer, such as 1999, 2003, 2005 and 2006, and thus thoughts didn't turn to autumn until late in the month or even October.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

I never think of September as Autumn. Days are still usually warm here and still above 20C untill after mid month, it's usually at the end of September or even well into October that the weather 'clicks' from being warm to cooling down significantly.

Posted

Well talking of 'nights drawing in' I don't see it around here.

There is still blue sky around at 12:30am (although faded)

But there's still a glimmer of light at 12:30am.

Are you sure that's not Ellesmere Port oil refinery ??

Posted

There's a thread somewhere on here,started by TONA and titled 'Only five more weeks' (or something like that),which referred to the five weeks remaining at the time of posting until June 21

Guilty M'Lud.

August in a couple of weeks and that'll be the end of this sun malarkey - phew. Can't abide hot weather, I lived in Saudi for 5 yrs and it put me right off the heat.

Autumn's poking its head over parapet in my garden: holly tree is bursting with berries (albeit green), hazels are well formed, little conkers are coming on well and I found a Lords n Ladies plant amongst the nettles yesterday. Always a good harbinger of Autumn. Greengages are nearly there, apples probably 2/3s proper size and walnuts are really big and shiny.

I love the last weekend of August as that's when we usually get to hear the phrase "temperatures dropping to single figures in the Glens" on the weather forecast. Followed swiftly by TEITS spotting his first Easterly deep in FI !!!

Posted

Guilty M'Lud.

I love the last weekend of August as that's when we usually get to hear the phrase "temperatures dropping to single figures in the Glens" on the weather forecast. Followed swiftly by TEITS spotting his first Easterly deep in FI !!!

I quite agree. I get such a thrill when I hear the forecaster saying "a touch of frost in the glens". :lazy: I know then, for sure, that Autumn is just around the corner.

I can almost feel my spirits rising just thinking about it. :lol:

Posted

I never think of September as Autumn. Days are still usually warm here and still above 20C untill after mid month, it's usually at the end of September or even well into October that the weather 'clicks' from being warm to cooling down significantly.

Thats certainly been true in recent years, but if you look back to say 1993 or 1994, September can be an exceptionally wet and cool autumnal month. I think out of all the months September may be the one thats changed the most in the last decade or so?

Edited by Gavin P

I use to think July was never autumn but since mid week it has proved me wrong with temps of only 15C on one day even lower elsewhere and near gale force winds, September is a transitional month just like March is so can all kinds of weather types are possible apart from true cold in September or true heat in March.

Posted

Thats certainly been true in recent years, but if you look back to say 1993 or 1994, September can be an exceptionally wet and cool autumnal month. I think out of all the months September may be the one thats changed the most in the last decade or so?

Septembers have certainly changed since I started taking weather records. In Tyneside, between 1992 and 2002 inclusive, only two Septembers could have reasonably been described as warm and sunny (1997, 1999). I always used to associate September with cold winds, stratus and a sharp stinging drizzle. Yet from 2003 onwards, all Septembers bar 2008 have been warm and sunny.