Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn

Posted

I know that there may be brickbats coming my way for even mentioning Autumn and that this thread could well be closed due to untimeliness, but the weather is quite Autumnal today. :)

As Autumn is such a lovely time, it's nice to be able to talk about it. We do, after all, have a Winter 2010/2011 thread going. So could we keep this one here available as a First Signs Of Autumn thread? I can start it off by saying, as I already have, that the weather is quite Autumnal today and who knows......perhaps we have had the best of the Summer and it's going to become ever-increasingly Autumnal from now on?

The nights are drawing in, aren't they? :doh:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

Yay!

The nights certainly are drawing in now! Over 2 minutes being lost a day.

Must say it is like autumn out there today, quite a nice little collection of leaves that had been blown off the trees last night.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

I would say weve had the best of the summer, I always think June and July are the best months, August although the whole month is the summer holidays I never think is as summery as June and July, atlantic lows start to arrive and nights get longer

summer not over at all but I reckon the best has gone

Posted

Autumn comes between summer and winter and yet people seem to bypass it and go straight to wondering what winter will bring.

Look how contrasting, rainfall wise, the autumn months last year were. September, pretty dry, November, a huge washout.

Posted

Are you lot for real???!!!!! :)

You've just broken the all time record for 'Summer is over' with this thread in the middle of July!!!

Posted

Are you lot for real???!!!!! :)

You've just broken the all time record for 'Summer is over' with this thread in the middle of July!!!

We crave cold and darkness crazy.gifcold.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

perhaps we have had the best of the Summer and it's going to become ever-increasingly Autumnal from now on?

I do hope so. I'll have a very large helping of Autumn please, served up with lashings of rain,strong winds and temperatures not exceeding 17c. Hill fog would be a welcome side order and for pudding I'll have heavy thundery showers in the brief clearances between the frontal rain.

Posted

I do hope so. I'll have a very large helping of Autumn please, served up with lashings of rain,strong winds and temperatures not exceeding 17c. Hill fog would be a welcome side order and for pudding I'll have heavy thundery showers in the brief clearances between the frontal rain.

I do have to smile when I read some of your posts TM.

A real hill fan

The nights are drawing in, aren't they? :D

they are indeed lad

lost 19 mins at dawn and 11 at dusk so far as we shoot towards Xmas and the return of summer again!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supernova hot summers with mega lightning storms, and SNOWMAGGEDON WINTERS!

We crave cold and darkness crazy.gifcold.gif

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ahhh-- nuthin like gettin me old coal fire going again each night (with smokeless of course +ahem+ cuz I live in the city :D) I miss having a real fire every night while curling up on the couch with my PS3...

Saying that- I am not finished with my summer fix yet, and wo betide the weather for be in the low/mid 60s for the rest of the week?????????

I just saw that on the 00z, and am not best pleased :nonono: Its summer for crying outloud- and should be like 85--95F out!!!!! No wonder we have an autumn thread open... not impressed weather gods,; not. impressed.

Posted

Are you lot for real???!!!!! :D

Do try and keep up, Coast.......ITV have been trailing their Autumn schedule for quite a few weeks, now! :nonono:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Whilst the garden's full of Delphiniums and Hollyhocks in full bloom and I'm picking maincrop Raspberries, I refuse to even contemplate dark evenings and cold mornings. When the hedges are ripe with Blackberries and Sloes, then I'll concede it'll soon be time to fire up the leaf blower.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Autumn is very much a season of two halves for me. September and the first half of October is when we can cling on to the last remaining warmth, and theres still a bit of light left in the evening to get outside. Late October and November is probably the worst time of the whole year for me. The trees are now bare, days are short and the dreaded talk of Christmas is in the air. The best i can hope for is a good storm to liven things up.

Posted

I agree Milhouse, early auntumn can bring some lovely days with golden hues appearing making everything look so beautiful.

Unfortunately the onset of Autumn also means change of clocks and less daylight. I start to feel cheated of daytime when we reach the latter part of the year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

I wonder what the chances of an Indian Summer in late October/early November are?

Also, don't forget Katla hasn't erupted yet. If it goes off in Autumn, it might change our Winter outlook. I'm sure some eruptions changed the weather and actually made us milder. Not sure if that was an Icelandic eruption or one somehere else.

Posted

Autumn is very much a season of two halves for me. September and the first half of October is when we can cling on to the last remaining warmth, and theres still a bit of light left in the evening to get outside. Late October and November is probably the worst time of the whole year for me. The trees are now bare, days are short and the dreaded talk of Christmas is in the air. The best i can hope for is a good storm to liven things up.

Dreaded talk of Christmas........bah humbug!

bah-humbug-smiley-wearing-hat-largethumb3655374.jpg

I thought everyone loved Christmas?

Personally I don't think you can beat a good night in all snuggled up under a duvet in front of the TV :D

Edited by Radiating Dendrite

Posted

There's nothing i despise more than this kind of weather having S.A.D and the fact it will continue everyday for ages sickens me.

Posted

There's nothing i despise more than this kind of weather having S.A.D and the fact it will continue everyday for ages sickens me.

Sorry to hear that :lol:

It was interesting to hear people who have the reverse or SAD (dislike long days and heat) chat about it the other month, forgot the thread now. I don't mind summer (i.e. 22 and sunny) but do not enjoy the heat and constant light. Love winter and prefer a nice spring day to a hot summer day.

Posted

There's a thread somewhere on here,started by TONA and titled 'Only five more weeks' (or something like that),which referred to the five weeks remaining at the time of posting until June 21,and the shortening days from there on in. That five weeks was a long,long haul for me,and since that auspicious date I've been watching so hard to see the first tangible signs of the shortening days. Yeah sad,I know,especially considering that at first we are losing mere seconds per day,but such is my loathing of summer... I've got it that bad that I took to lying on the bed of an evening in precisely the same spot,watching the line of shadow cast by the setting sun and seeing how much it changes from one evening to the next in relation to a set reference point on the wall,and noting the exact time the last glimmer of the sun's disc slipped below the horizon. I'm glad to report that I don't need to resort to such things now,as the shortening days are starting to become obviously apparent,and the pace is accelerating. Lord knows I've enough to worry about in my life right now,but this turnaround feels like one load less to carry. Anyone else 'suffer' to this sort of extreme?

Went down the fields this morning with about 5Kg of carrots to feed the horses,as is my wont once a week,and was struck by the almost overnight replacement of elderflowers by elderberries. No prognosticators of winter to come,but I dare say this year will see a bumper 'wine crop'. Trees of all kinds which seemed only yesterday to be festooned with flowers are now sporting embryonic fruits. Wonderful. I'm under no illusion that summer has one or two nasty tricks up its sleeve but there's no doubt that the corner has been turned. To all my fellow 'summer shunners' out there,things can only get better - hang on in there. Oh,and yesterday was just beautiful with its sombre,glowering skies fractured by lightening. The wind,the sheeting rain,just magic. More please!

Radiating Dendrite - Xmas is the one thing that spoils winter for me,but ya can't have everything eh?

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Strange temps normal for July one or two light showers if I didn't have to stay in I'd out enjoying it. Certainly not autumnal at the moment. Might feel like that when the rain belt moves in though.

Posted

I bet you are glad of the shortening days then laserguy!

I must admit I do share a lot of the feelings that you have mentioned but not quite the extremes that you experience. Must admit I do love Christmas though so disagree with you on that one blum.gif

I have the sunrise and sunset times posted as a link in my signature, a great source of comfort at the current time! :lol:

Posted

Anyone else 'suffer' to this sort of extreme?

I'm probably 99% there, laserguy. I noticed your comments on the Five Weeks To Go thread and honestly, I have thought about you just about every day.....as a fellow sufferer, that is. :lol: It was quite a comfort, because I'd always thought that it was just me. :lol:

Anyway, we are now on the way out of Summer, rather than on the way in, so for us and fellow sufferers, the good times are a-coming. I have already noticed a lovely crop of berries (still green, obviously :hi: ) on my cotoneasters and in just over 2 weeks it will be August and we can say "next month it'll be September and the temperatures will really start dropping away, apace" (or words to that effect :excl: )

Chin up and remember that you are not alone! :lol: :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

I have the same 'problem' only in reverse - desperately craving those extra precious few mins of light during January when it gets dark during the working day.

Autumn couldn't be further from my mind having not yet had a good fill of summer yet! Admittedly my favourite portion of it is going now (May-July) but gladly it is still properly light at 9pm as it should be :) For now...

Early autumn is nice - when its still warm and light enough to enjoy outside but the colours are starting to change. Its the post clock move dark before leaving work bit I despise - extremely dangerous and unpleasant to cycle in rush hour traffic when it's just suddenly got dark along with all school/student traffic. The comparison to the daylit and empty roads of the summer holiday season couldn't be more stark.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

In terms of Autumn, i am expecting it to be quite mixed, a cool and wet eptember followed by a drier and warm October before the first real cold push during November which will be cool and dry.

I know you really dislike like summer weather, but would you be happy if even in summer it was never sunny or above 17C? What are your limits on wanting cool unsettled weather compared to summery weather?