Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

My Little Experiment.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/stormy

Hey,

I'm fairly new around here so i would like to say Hi.

Next on the agenda, the reson i made this topic is i need abit of advise on my project, I want to get reading from the inside of a dust devil, i see them all the time. I would then like to compare them from the inside from a tornado, that i will purchase from reed timmer ( From TVN) and then try to link the two. I have so far seen around 25ish dust devils so far this year (including the one at download) . I will prefer to get it into one that is suounded by dust as i am planning on makeing a probe to get inside it, it will have pressure, wind, tempreture and drewpoint aswell as a camera to recored it all so we can compear it to the shots of a inside of a tornado (again from reed.)

So, if anyone wants to partner up on this or just wants to see how it goes then feel free. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

great idea ! its going to be a hard one this , i look fwd to reading members thoughts on this , ive seen a few...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

A hot clear sunny day with strong gusty cyclonic wind a dusty large car part would be a good area to find these dust spinners, the ground temp would be hotter than the air several feet above the ground a breeze comes from one direction and mixes with a breeze from another direction lifting the ground air and spins into a dust storm !

Posted

The probe will be done soonish i have made the metel work now need the weatherie stuff

Posted

The probe will be done soonish i have made the metel work now need the weatherie stuff

i thought there would be a lot of posts about this as its interesting , exciting , fun , and very scientific.

whats others thoughts?...

Edited by nimbilus

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Interesting!

I used to use a flame gun to sterilise ground in large glasshouses. Occasionally I used to create mini twisters if the ground was wet and I held the flame in one place for long enough!

Anyway, got me to thinking it may be easier to create a mini vortex and scale the data accordingly. After all, these are just spinning columns of air we are talking about, shouldn't be too hard to reproduce in miniture.

Although I concede that it is less fun than chasing dust devils! :blink:

Posted

Interesting!

I used to use a flame gun to sterilise ground in large glasshouses. Occasionally I used to create mini twisters if the ground was wet and I held the flame in one place for long enough!

Anyway, got me to thinking it may be easier to create a mini vortex and scale the data accordingly. After all, these are just spinning columns of air we are talking about, shouldn't be too hard to reproduce in miniture.

Although I concede that it is less fun than chasing dust devils! :blink:

Lol , I kicked some dust up eairlier and it started to look like a dust devil ( a tornado like image) and then got blown away...