Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Forum New Feature Guide

Paul

Posted

Hi all, as promised here is a quick run down of some of the features that are available on this new version of the forum.

Usernames:

It is now possible to select a 'display name' which is the name that is shown publicly on the forum and members with more than 50 posts can change this up to a couple of times a month using this link:

http://forum.netweat...rea=displayname

Please note this doesn't affect the username you use to sign in with, although as part of this change you can also now sign in using your email address if you wish to.

Deleted posts

The team now have an option to 'soft delete' posts and topics, this leaves a small note within the thread where the post has been deleted and allows the team to publicly show the reason for the deletion.

Profiles:

You can now customise your profile with custom backgrounds if you would like to, just follow the link below and upload the background you would like to use:

http://forum.netweat...&area=customize

Twitter and Facebook integration

Existing members can integrate their forum accounts with their twitter and facebook accounts, this enables you to sign in using your twitter/facebook logins and also share things like status updates, profile photos etc. You can set this up by following the links to twitter connect and facebook connect on this page:

http://forum.netweat...rcp&tab=members

New members can now bypass the registration process too simply by clicking either the twitter or the facebook logos on the registration link and following the instructions to link your account to the forum.

Share links

At the bottom of every topic there is now a set of share links so you can easily share an interesting thread with your friends/contacts elsewhere, there is also a facebook like button.

Topic preview

When you're within a forum, if you hold your mouse over one of the topics, the following icon will show: topicpreview.png - clicking this will open up a small topic preview enabling you to read the initial part of the thread without going into it.

Notifications

You now have more options for the automated notifications that the forum will send out to you (or notify you about on screen), just visit the following page to set these up (an inline notification is an on screen notification):

http://forum.netweat...a=notifications

Mobile access

If you access the forum using a mobile phone, you should automatically use the new mobile skin which makes navigation, posting etc a lot simpler. This is also accessible using the drop down menu on the bottom left of each page.

Status updates

These can now be sync'd with twitter and facebook (see above), and you can now also comment on people's updates.

Media tag

If you're inserting video from youtube or any other type of media, you can now just click the media button (media.png) in the post editor and paste the address in there, the system will then embed that media into your post.

That hopefully summarises a good bulk of the changes, if you have any questions please feel free to post them into this thread, and don't forget too that there is a fairly comprehensive online help area here:

http://forum.netweather.tv/index.php?app=core&module=help

Posted

Thanks for that Paul. as i said before, some subtle changes that have made the forum lots better to view and work in. Great stuff!!

Posted

lol...I see we have voteing options again...lol...need to be carefull of this :)

great new features

Edited by PatCarter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Good stuff, only problem I have though is with the display name, the options are very limited. I wanted to put in "Nick L", but it seems as though you can't use spaces, hyphens, underscores etc.

Posted

Thats odd - will look into it, probably just a setting that we need to tweak.

Have a go now, hopefully it will work a bit better.

Posted

Thats odd - will look into it, probably just a setting that we need to tweak.

Have a go now, hopefully it will work a bit better.

I've used up my monthly quota :)

I changed the "N" from lower to upper case, but the first time it decided not to change (I think the autofill on my browser kicked in) it at all and used up one of my changes, so I then had another go and it worked. Ah well, I'm going on holiday next week anyway so I will try it again when I get back.

Posted

Good stuff, only problem I have though is with the display name, the options are very limited. I wanted to put in "Nick L", but it seems as though you can't use spaces, hyphens, underscores etc.

yes same...problem with my name with spaces

Posted

yes same...problem with my name with spaces

Try it now Pat, Paul has said it should work now.

Posted

Try it now Pat, Paul has said it should work now.

cheers...sorted... :)

on another note...It would be good if we could customise our blogs....with back ground images and colours..

But I dont think this option is availible through Invision

Edited by Pat Carter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Brilliant Paul. Loving the name change and the customisable profile colours!

Good job! :)

Edited by Backtrack

Posted

Excellent, do you want me to change yours to Nick L Nick?

Yes please :)

Posted

Cheers Paul :)

Posted

Have had a few pm's from people asking about bits and pieces on the new forum, so just bumping this for those who have missed it.

Posted

So long as Terminal Moraine, Osbourne One Nil, Stratos Ferric, Osmposm and ACBrixton (to name a few big joy posters) regularly keep posting here - It's all good.