Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

A Record Breaking June?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

just wondering, this june has been superb for decent temps, according to my nearest official station we have now had 8 days in june where the temperature has breeched 25c . im struggling to remember a june where this has happened, although i may be misguided.

anyone have any ideas when this last happened?

ps... i LOVE it! :rofl:

Posted

I would think 2006 mushy?

I had 19 days with temps >22C and a run of 7 days with >24C

this year, counting today I think its 8 consecutive so far >24C most >25C , and 13 days so far >22c

it would be interesting to re-read the posts prior to this spell which spoke of cool unsettled, well maybe not!

Edited by johnholmes

Posted

as in the model thread, for some, 2006 MIGHT be beaten

Posted

Not here. So far the south and east has managed to hog most of the high temperatures. In fact, the breakdown is already in motion here and I have an August 2009 setup to look forward too. Goody! :rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I don't think the current spell comes close to what the last third of June 1976 produced, but in many southern and eastern districts it's certainly been a match for anything that June has produced in the past couple of decades. In terms of length, in Norwich the regular maxima over 25C started on the 22nd June and are still ongoing.

The period 1-12 June 2006 was notable for its sunshine, but I think the heat didn't really get going until around the 5th, so I think the current spell is matching June 2006 for length and intensity.

June 2003 was more remarkable for consistent warmth rather than any spells of outstanding heat, with just the odd day (notably 2nd and 22nd) which produced outstanding heat in places, it certainly didn't have a spell to rival this one. Late June 2005 was again comparable though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

Definately a good June, not among the best though at the moment. We've had a lengthy warm spell now, we must have had over 2 weeks of 25C + temps, but no record breaking heat, mostly in the mid-high 20s.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

A record breaking June?

Not even close.

It is not going to be the driest, the warmest nor the sunniest.

Same for here. Our hottest was June 1957 with 17.2C and the moment we're at 15C.

Posted

Not sure about longevity of heat (in days) but the max record I believe was 34 years ago today, in Mayflower Park Southampton at 35.6 DgC? :)

Posted

A record breaking June?

Not even close.

It is not going to be the driest, the warmest nor the sunniest.

my criteria though was days above 25c... not hottest, not driest, not hottest cet, or sunniest.

but after i posted this and dashed off to the dentist :acute: , i imediately thought of the major flaw in my post.

im sure that countrywide 25c+ has been surpassed many more times then 8, whilst other areas havnt. in reality i was talking local and didnt make that clear.

im pretty certain that in 2006 we didnt have 8 days of 25c+, (in june) nor 2003, nor 95,

so its back to at least 1976, or 75, for here in derby. so if you are using 25c as the benchmark i think im pretty certain that this june has been the hottest (as in number of days 25c+ ) since the mid 70's.

Posted
  • Location: Otford/Sevenoaks, NW Kent (Approx. 100m asl); Hometown - Auckland, New Zealand
  • Location: Otford/Sevenoaks, NW Kent (Approx. 100m asl); Hometown - Auckland, New Zealand

Yeah not record breaking but then again its been a very pleasent last 10 days to June, probably a match for anything the last 3 summers have produced if not a little better...

What about the late June/early July heatwave from last summer? Am I the only one who remembers that...?

Posted

What about the late June/early July heatwave from last summer? Am I the only one who remembers that...?

That heatwave was one of the most humid spells of weather i can remember, seriously airless warm muggy nights over and over again and often really wet (Friday 26th June a particular washout), it never got that sunny here to be honest in that spell unlike this recent warm weather which has never been to hot and gave a brilliant amount of sunshine.

Posted

Yeah not record breaking but then again its been a very pleasent last 10 days to June, probably a match for anything the last 3 summers have produced if not a little better...

this june alone has had more 25c+ then the summers of 07 08 combined here! this june is miles better. im hoping to find records for my area because im pretty sure that not many junes have had 8x 25c+ in my locale.

a few days .... yes... but nowhere near 8 25c+, and i am talking juneso rule out july!

Posted

The week beginning on Monday the 14th was when we had that mid-Atlantic ridge draped over us bringing a week of very sunny days but cool overnight temps under a N/NW flow. I never really thought therefore this was going to be an exceptionally warm month.

I would however be interested to note our final sunshine temps and when was the last June to better these.

Also dryness. The last third of June 2006 did have some wet days I seem to remember. So when was the last time we had a drier June? The only wet days Ive observed down here in the south were the 1st, the 10th and some overnight on the 18th.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I think averaged nationally this June will not be as dry as 2006. There was the wet weather in the second week with the rain draped over southern Scotland and northern England and the thundery downpours over the south.

June 2006 recorded 10mm of rain or less over large areas of the country and was widely the driest June since 1995, and in some areas for much longer. I remember that in Leeds the month was sunnier than average entirely because of the 1st-12th, and thereafter it was often quite dull, but there continued to be very little rain. Meanwhile down south it stayed relatively sunny.

Of course there will be local exceptions.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

June 2006 was about average for rainfall here, but mainly because at least 2/3 came in thundery outbreaks e.g. 12th and 26th.

This is most certainly the driest June here I've recorded with only 19.1mm of rain, even drier than April 2007. My Grandparents don't remember a June when the lawn has been so brown.

Posted

That heatwave was one of the most humid spells of weather i can remember, seriously airless warm muggy nights over and over again and often really wet (Friday 26th June a particular washout), it never got that sunny here to be honest in that spell unlike this recent warm weather which has never been to hot and gave a brilliant amount of sunshine.

I definitely agree on the particular mugginess of that spell, however down here in the south-east it definitely wasn't 'often really wet' although I'm obviously not saying it wasn't elsewhere. In fact I remember it being far drier around my area than it is currently with nearly all green gone from grass and garden, while although it is dry and beginning to brown off here it still doesn't compare to that which was an accumulation of notable dryness through April, May and June.

It was also an exceptionally sunny spell from what I can remember, with at least five consecutive days of almost complete wall to wall sunshine (those five all reached or topped 30C). This spell of heat has not been all that sunny down here with afternoon cloud cover often building up over the last two weeks or so, although it has still been warm, apart from the last two/three days which have produced more in the way of unrestricted sunshine. This in addition to the fact that only one day so far (yesterday) has been able to properly rival the temperature reached during the five day peak of the heatwave last year where an official level two heat warning was released by the MetO.

this june alone has had more 25c+ then the summers of 07 08 combined here! this june is miles better. im hoping to find records for my area because im pretty sure that not many junes have had 8x 25c+ in my locale.

a few days .... yes... but nowhere near 8 25c+, and i am talking juneso rule out july!

Firstly, see above. Secondly, (and I know I've said it already in a few other topics) the spell from late June/a few days into July last year produced 13/14 consecutive days of temperatures at or above 25C. Evidently this apparent persistence of warmth was pretty restricted to the SE corner and I get the feeling that the reason this spell is getting more attention is because its producing more widespread warmth and settled conditions across a much wider area. Also I'm not entirely sure how many 25C+ days this spell has created, but I'm pretty certain that we've had at least a week's worth and that by the end of this weekend we will probably have seen more than last years spell, as you seem to be using that as a benchmark.

Posted

It has been a very good June for most of the country with widespread dry sunny and warm if not very warm weather, but it has never been exceptional.

For Scotland, N Ireland and far N England (Cumbria included) it has been notably very dry but far from the driest. The warmth i.e. days above 25 degrees has by and large been restricted to the south of england and the midlands, further north low 20's have been the order of the day, very good all the same as a spell of consecutive days above 25 degrees up here is preety difficult to achieve in June, but much less so come July and August..

June 2003, 2005 and 2006 produced much higher minima compared to this month, hence why the CET for this month is not truely reflective of the high maxima.

I remember early-mid June 1996 being very dry sunny and very warm, and the second half of June 1995 being quite similiar to this month. But for consistent warmth Junes 1975 and 1976 beat this month hands down.

Posted

. Secondly, (and I know I've said it already in a few other topics) the spell from late June/a few days into July last year produced 13/14 consecutive days of temperatures at or above 25C. Evidently this apparent persistence of warmth was pretty restricted to the SE corner and I get the feeling that the reason this spell is getting more attention is because its producing more widespread warmth and settled conditions across a much wider area.

i did go on the qualify my original post as refering to my locale, acknowledging that nationwide this might not be the case... but in my location i cannot find any evidence so far that i have witnessed 8 days in june of 25c+ until this year... i dont think we have had that since 1976, as hot summers since havnt really kicked off until july.

. But for consistent warmth Junes 1975 and 1976 beat this month hands down.

which is what i suspect, ok maybe me saying 'record breaking' was lazy and inaccurate, when i really meant 'the warmest since' and qualifying that as counting days of 25c+.

Posted

It has been a very good June for most of the country with widespread dry sunny and warm if not very warm weather, but it has never been exceptional.

For Scotland, N Ireland and far N England (Cumbria included) it has been notably very dry but far from the driest. The warmth i.e. days above 25 degrees has by and large been restricted to the south of england and the midlands, further north low 20's have been the order of the day, very good all the same as a spell of consecutive days above 25 degrees up here is preety difficult to achieve in June, but much less so come July and August..

June 2003, 2005 and 2006 produced much higher minima compared to this month, hence why the CET for this month is not truely reflective of the high maxima.

I remember early-mid June 1996 being very dry sunny and very warm, and the second half of June 1995 being quite similiar to this month. But for consistent warmth Junes 1975 and 1976 beat this month hands down.

Is this because of rain now getting into the NW via that big low off the coast of the UK because I was under the impression that the North West had had very little rain all year. Is this June going to be drier than 2006, 2003, 1995 etc as a whole month for your location do you think? Or do you have to go back to 1975/76 to beat this month?

As I said earlier I never thought this was going to go down as a notably warm month, but the dryness and (at least down here in the south) the sunshine has been notable. Mind you as I type this we've had a small amount of rain overnight and the skies are slab grey.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

my criteria though was days above 25c... not hottest, not driest, not hottest cet, or sunniest.

Your criteria was fairly clear.

You will always get someone saying no way there was a day in 1803 that was hotter.

It’s been a pleasant run particularly down here in the South.

25c will be beaten somewhere down South at least till Sunday.

I am hopeful the Shetlands may beat 13c soon.

Posted

Ok, well we can get an idea of how warm this spell is by looking at the daily mean max.

June 2009 had 10 days where the mean max as 21.0c or above.

June 2008 had 2

June 2007 had 8

June 2006 had 13

June 2005 had 9

June 2004 had 9

June 2003 had 17

We'll have to wait until the figures are released for this month but I'm betting it'll come out near normal for the most recent years.

1995 9

1992 14

1976 16

1975 16

1960 14

1947 10

1960 had the fastest start but then became a little disappointing. 1947 looks unusually low for such a warm month. But It holds the record for the highest for the first day of June, a whopping 30.0c average!

Other notable dates

28th June 1976 30.3c and 29th 30.1c

30th June 1995 29.1c

19th June 2005 29.1c

Posted

June 2003 was not a particularly dry month- it was certainly very warm (almost all parts of the counttry had their warmest June since 1976), and sunny except for parts of the north-west, but a few heavy convective events helped raise rainfall totals to near or above average levels in most places.

It's interesting that June 1975 had as many days over 21C as June 1976. That was quite a month, with the frequent hot sunshine partly offset by exceptionally cold weather at both ends and even some snow in places on the 2nd.

June 1996 has been mentioned- that month was notable for its sunshine away from the northern half of Scotland, and it was also very dry for most, also with a very notable Spanish plume event on the 6th/7th, but temperatures overall were about average.