Sign in to follow this  
CatchMyDrift

June 24Th 1962

I have been researching winter storms but came across this in the archive from June 1962:

June 1962 Gale.pdf

The report in the paper (see left handside of the PDF I posted) quotes wind speeds of 60-70mph across the UK and Ireland but also a mammoth 96mph at Lowther Hill in the lowlands of Scotland.

The chart archive shows this storm, is this unusual for June? Surely?

post-2844-076557700 1277591076_thumb.gif

The chart archive shows this storm, is this unusual for June? Surely?

post-2844-076557700 1277591076_thumb.gif

I think depressions that deep are quite unusual for June especially but I suppose with it being dated as the 24th, it could be part of a reactivation of the Atlantic which commonly happens at that time.

Though there have been quite a few other instances of this, most notably 23rd June 2004 which I remember distinctly:

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/2004/Rrea00120040623.gif

I think depressions that deep are quite unusual for June especially but I suppose with it being dated as the 24th, it could be part of a reactivation of the Atlantic which commonly happens at that time.

Though there have been quite a few other instances of this, most notably 23rd June 2004 which I remember distinctly:

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/2004/Rrea00120040623.gif

I think you're right, it just popped out as a space oddity when I was researching winter storms. Deeply sad for the three who lost their lives but without us remembering it as a weather event who would talk about it??