Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Fireball In Sky Last Night

noggin

Posted

At about 10.50 last night in the western sky, just above Venus, I saw what I could only describe as a "fiery ball". It was HUGE. It suddenly appeared/exploded out of nowhere, a big ball of fire. It died down fractionally, then exploded again and then disappeared. It was on fire. It was not a plane, nor was it a lantern.....it was a huge ball of fire, way, way up in the sky. The whole thing went on for a good 10-12 seconds.

I have trawled t'internet but can find no reference to this specific "thing" although I have had a look on youtube where I have found reliable footage of "fireballs" and this is what it appears to have been. I was quite stunned as, although I am a watcher of the night skies and have seen comets. meteor showers and so on, I have never in my 54 years seen anything like this.

I am beginning to feel like the man in CE3K. Please, did anyone else see it.....? :)

Posted

It sounds like space debris, you might speak to local press about it?

I remember seeing a very large 'burning' object passed over early evening in the late 60s and was seen by thousands across Northern England.

This was in the earlier days of space exploration so quite something at the time.

Posted

I am beginning to feel like the man in CE3K. Please, did anyone else see it.....? cray.gif

Nope,but I saw something at about 4.30am whilst on nights a coupla weeks back. Just appeared out of nowhere,travelling straight towards the ground and for a few heart-stopping moments I sincerely thought it was going to make landfall. Incredible,way,way brighter than the full moon - and all the more incredible considering that the sky was light at that time. I was really shocked at the time,having never seen anything more than the usual 'grain of sand' meteors before. This was like something off Discovery channel -in real life! The one I saw probably lasted 2-3 seconds but in my amazement and slack-jawed wonder it seemed to go on for an eternity,a truly amazing spectacle.

Posted

At about 10.50 last night in the western sky, just above Venus, I saw what I could only describe as a "fiery ball". It was HUGE. It suddenly appeared/exploded out of nowhere, a big ball of fire. It died down fractionally, then exploded again and then disappeared. It was on fire. It was not a plane, nor was it a lantern.....it was a huge ball of fire, way, way up in the sky. The whole thing went on for a good 10-12 seconds.

I have trawled t'internet but can find no reference to this specific "thing" although I have had a look on youtube where I have found reliable footage of "fireballs" and this is what it appears to have been. I was quite stunned as, although I am a watcher of the night skies and have seen comets. meteor showers and so on, I have never in my 54 years seen anything like this.

I am beginning to feel like the man in CE3K. Please, did anyone else see it.....? cray.gif

I didnt see it :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

I am beginning to feel like the man in CE3K. Please, did anyone else see it.....? :)

Wish I'd seen it!

The very first time I went out to watch an annual meteor shower, I think it was the Perseids, after about 15 minutes of watching I saw the best meteor I've ever seen. It started off like an ordinary meteor, but gradually got brighter until it burst into a bright red flame and continued travelling across the sky, then it exploded into much smaller pieces and dissipated. The whole thing lasted about 6 or 7 seconds. I'm yet to see anything even close to it since.

Posted

Noggin, you could contact BBC Points West and the forecaster Richard Angwin. He is always very keen to point out things to see or which have been seen in the night sky :).