Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The PIT

The Right To Show Displeasure In Football

Yesterdays booing coupled with Rooneys comments has once again raised the issue of how fans show displeasure.

It seems in any other sport/entertainment it's accepted that poor performances will result it clear signs of displeasure. Yet footballers seem to think they're above criticism but are very happy to accept plaudits when they come along.

Last night I thought the England fans were brilliant drowning out those dreaded horns ever so often and saving their displeasure until the end.

The fans are paying customers and it's there right to expect to be entertained and seem commitment on the pitch. None of which was on display last night on the pitch.

Many fans have paid vast amounts of money to get to the game. Money these so called England stars wouldn't miss if they dropped it in the gutter. Rooneys comment at the end of the game showed the contempt that footballers have at times for their fans. Do footballers realise they're privileged?? Saying they have a short career doesn't wash as most earn enough money in a season to be comfortable ever more if they used there brains. Add in advertising etc they're really are lucky.

Perhaps the footballers should be on 10,000 pounds a year pay there own way out to South Africa, pay for the hotels and pay for the food. They may then begin too understand why fans get a little left trouser leged at such performances like last night.

Fans pay their money they don't get any refunds for poor performances and are the paying customer they're entitled to show their displeasure.

If footballers don't want this either don't play or don't accept the applause when they get it. They can't have it both ways.

Yep, for me it's the player's jobs to entertain the fans, not the fan's jobs to stroke the players egos.

Problem seems to be that the players are too wrapped up in themselves to realise that, they quickly lap up the adulation they get and start to believe their own hype but then if/when they get booed for playing poorly they can't handle it.

Sad really, but these people live in their own little bubbles, are protected from the world, are surrounded by people who are there solely to remind them that the sun shines out of their backsides and have absolutely nothing in common and no empathy with the person who spends £1000's to follow them.

Ho hum..

I'm sure someone will disagree with some maybe even all what you post Pit, for once I'm in total agreement with you.

Especially the comment that if they accept the cheers and support which they got thorughout the match then none of them can really complain that at the end or towards the end, understandably, the fans who had paid out so much to get there should give their verdict.

Overpaid prima donnas is not too harsh a word for some of them, Rooney in particular for his outburst, at least the others kept their mounths shut or actually admitted they deserved to some extent the fans reaction.

just seen the post from Paul-yep.

It won't happen but it might just bring it home to some of them in the Premier league if the fans could boycott their team for an advertised x number of matches to try and get the message across?

and the same for any England match for a given period?

Firstly people have spent a lot of money supporting their their team and have every right to boo. However I have always found this counter productive and never helps the team. This is especially true for booing during a match, while booing after a match is a slightly different thing.

You're absolutely spot on, Pit.

Even Steven Gerrard admitted that England could have done better. (At least he's honest!) I've seen England play some poor games but I wonder if last night whether they could even be bothered? Even that bird sitting on top of the net looked bored.

These players earn tens of thousands a week so they ought to be prepared to be lambasted by the fans and media if they monumentally screw it up, (such as last night!) and deserve praise if they do well.

I've said on Facebook that this tournament has so far been uninteresting, bar the odd game. But I'd have expected better from England, especially against minnows like Algeria.

It's win against Slovakia or bust on Wednesday 23rd June. Going by the last two games, I don't feel all that confident. But I'll still have the beers in, but drink to celebrate or commiserate? Hmm!

Phil.

I don't think it's appropriate for fans to boo their team during a match because like JACKONE mentioned it is counterproductive, it lowers players' morale and makes them more likely to continue playing poorly.

But none of that applies once the final whistle has gone, whereupon the fans have every right to voice their displeasure, as a means of showing the team that they did the fans a disservice, particularly after a very poor performance where they didn't win and offered zero entertainment value. For similar reasons I think the fans are also entitled to express displeasure at the half-time whistle, as it effectively says "that wasn't good enough- we want to be entertained more in the second half".

I would have had more sympathy for Rooney's comments if the England fans had booed for most of the second half, but on the whole they conducted themselves remarkably well and largely left it until after the final whistle. Thus Rooney's comments were completely out of order.

One of the good things about being involved with a local non league team is that you can get to know the players by having time with them before and after matches/at Club events. There's then a mutual respect and they accept the criticism when they've played poorly as well as the praise when they've played well.

Nothing like that is possible at the highest level.

That's not a very nice thing to say. I don't think Rooney's mother is going to happy about that

ugly-people-09.jpg

I see Rooney's said a poor sorry this afternoon for his comments.

Not only are players paid far to much, they don't even pay for things like their own mobile phone bills. I don’t think that what has happened over the last 20 years could ever have been envisaged by those that fought to end wage caps and to allow players to move from club to club, but it is to me a reflection of the greedy society we have created. As for the booing what do they expect, still even without the booing you always know when things on the pitch are getting desperate, because the fans feel they have to start singing god save the queen. that would be more likely to get me down rather than being booed. It might be better if they sang, god save the England football team, because we need a miracle. Being an England fan is like being an addict you can’t stop yourself watching but you know a nasty hangover awaits more times than not, often even before the game has ended

I see Rooney's said a poor sorry this afternoon for his comments.

yes a proper apology would not be through some other media/spokesperson but to front the camera as he did when he mouthed off.

I've never been a big fan, too petulant and prone to blow his top on the pitch, but I am definitely 'off' the man now unless he does what I've suggested.

Not only are players paid far to much, they don't even pay for things like their own mobile phone bills. I don’t think that what has happened over the last 20 years could ever have been envisaged by those that fought to end wage caps and to allow players to move from club to club, but it is to me a reflection of the greedy society we have created. As for the booing what do they expect, still even without the booing you always know when things on the pitch are getting desperate, because the fans feel they have to start singing god save the queen. that would be more likely to get me down rather than being booed. It might be better if they sang, god save the England football team, because we need a miracle. Being an England fan is like being an addict you can’t stop yourself watching but you know a nasty hangover awaits more times than not, often even before the game has ended

have to agree with all you post there weather eater

Sad fact is that he's probably apologised not because he feels he should but more likely that he's been told he must, and we all know that apologies on that basis don't mean a thing.

I've never really had an issue with him up to now, but in the heat of the moment or not, the last thing he should have been whining at is the fans - in fact he should have been apologising to them and beating himself up for such a heartless and frankly crap performance.

I honestly can't see what the appeal of football is these days, I really can't. I think money has ruined football, I think I would have got more interested in this sport if it was not for the vast amounts of money that are poured in to it that seem to inflate the egos of these prima donnas even more, whose egos and wallets are bigger than their talents. Some of these transfer fees are ridiculous, nobody is worth £10s of millions as far as I'm concerned.

Go back to the early days and you had your Lofthouses, Matthews, Finneys etc, they weren't paid vast amounts of money and they are/were far more talented than a lot of the present bunch and yet this lot are paid thousands of pounds for 90 minutes.

As for the fans, for godsake, why don't they and the media in general as well, stop harping on about 1966. Its pathetic clinging onto this fading memory, all it amplifies now is the fact that the England football team has done zippo since 1966.

I agee entirely with all that has been said above. I am not sure if it was as if the players were afraid of making a mistake that made them so ineffective and lack lustre because of the alledged iron fist regime' of the manager.

One other possible thought. Could it be these prima-donas dislike the manager and want to see him "get on his bike" and they think the best way of achieving this would be to play badly and go out of the competition at the earliest opportunity.

Many of these players I am sure are more club orientated than country and the world cup is an unnecessary diversion to enjoying a summer break.

It will be interesting to see if there is more passion on Wednesday and an ability to execute the simpest of passes and be able to control the ball when receiving it.

Also will the mangaer change the personnel on the pitch and/ or the formation? If I were Manager (Thank goodness I am not) I would remove Rooney, Gerrard, Heskey and possibly Glenn Johnson from the line-up as they in particular were very poor last evening. I would definitly bring in Joe Cole and start with Crouch and SWP (better known as Little and Large!)

I have a horrible feeling we will retain the same formation and possibly the same starting line-up to ensure that the manager does not lose face.

Lets hope my concerns are unfounded

Come on Engerland, Engerland, Engerland!drinks.gif

Agreed. Booing during the match is wrong, but after the final whistle last night they deserved every bit of stick they got from the crowd after that "performance".

They get paid enough to cope with a bit of booing. If I offered a job being paid upto £100k a week to kick a ball about and then get booed for a few seconds I would snap your arm off.

Agreed. Booing during the match is wrong, but after the final whistle last night they deserved every bit of stick they got from the crowd after that "performance".

They get paid enough to cope with a bit of booing. If I offered a job being paid upto £100k a week to kick a ball about and then get booed for a few seconds I would snap your arm off.

For a 100k a week I'd snap my own arm off, well a couple of fingers anyway. I do agree with Mr Data, money has ruined football, but it won't change unless the public start voting with their feet and that is just not going to happen.

Being an England fan is like being an addict you can’t stop yourself watching but you know a nasty hangover awaits more times than not, often even before the game has ended

Try being Scottish then. The hangover starts even before the game starts. Or more accurately the hangover starts and we're not even good enough to get to the game.

As for the booing, etc. I wouldn't worry about it too much. One good result against Slovenia and it's all back on again and all of this will be forgotten.

And I have booed at my beloved Albion a few times, especially under the Bryan Robson years *shudders*.

Don't worry, Nick. We've booed you too. :-D

And Birmingham City too!

Phil.

Don't worry, Nick. We've booed you too. :-D

And Birmingham City too!

Phil.

Thanks Phil, roll on Sept 18th :)

Thanks Phil, roll on Sept 18th biggrin.gif

Permission to booooooooooooooooooooo!!

But might have 23rd June in mind as well. unsure.gif

Phil.

Permission to booooooooooooooooooooo!!

But might have 23rd June in mind as well. unsure.gif

Phil.

I will not be supporting England on Wednesday, the final straw was taken last night. I will go to the bar where I have bought a World Cup season ticket and just sit there as a neutral. I really couldn't care about England anymore, I'm sick of the overpaid primadonas.

8 weeks until the REAL football begins. When Mr Rooney and co. come to the Hawthorns I will be giving them a good old boo.

• Temperatures into heatwave territory and no rain

Some parts of the UK could qualify for heatwave conditions later this week and it's not the usual suspects. No rain as water levels decline and how are the evening skies for LanuchAmerica viewing? Watch the video here

Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts
    Latest weather updates from Netweather

High pressure in the driving seat until at least the end of May

High pressure continues to dominate our weather until at least early next week, with most staying dry and fine. The warm conditions will spread north, and the highest temperatures will transfer to the west as the high moves east and eventually over Scandinavia. Read the full update here

Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts
    Latest weather updates from Netweather