Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I remember Atlantic 252

Wimbledon 2010

Wimbledon next week, (although nobody interested in the UK while world cup is on) Murray at the moment a bit like the England team crap!, dont think he will make 2nd week, great to see Nadal back this year

2 big danger players John Isner and Sam Querrey, (murray i pick to lose to querrey in 4th round)

would be great to see federer win again, as long as its not Roddick

I've just read that we haven't a

single Englishman in this !

That's shocking.

BL.

In contrast there are 6 British Women in the draw.

Elena Baltacha ranked 62nd, is having the best season of her career.

Katie O'Brien ranked 130, after a career high of 84 earlier this year.

Anne Keothavong ranked 157th, is coming back after injury, her previous top ranking was 48th last year, and she is not defending that many pts for the rest of the year (she was injured after Wimbledon), and could easily rise back into the top 100 this year.

Melanie South ranked 234, after being as high as 99, in 2009.

Laura Robson (16) is ranked 236, a career high ranking, a winner of Junior Wimbledon 2 years ago.

Heather Watson (18) is ranked 344, a winner of the Junior US Open last year.

There is also Naomi Cavaday, who is in the top 200 in the world. So there are a number of players in the British Women's tennis in the top 100/200 in the world now and likely to be over the coming years.

Compare this to the men with only Murray and Bogdanovic in the top 200, however to mention Murray and Bogdanovic in the same sentence seems a bit unfair.

Watson plays Romina Oprandi (ITA Ranked 140th)

O'Brien plays Alona Bondarenko (UKR-28th Seed)

South plays Regina Kulikova (RUS -69)

Baltacha plays Petra Martic (CRO -77)

Keothavong plays Anastasia Rodionova (AUS - 76)

Robson plays Jelena Jankovic (SER -4th seed)

The only one seeded to win is Baltacha, however IMO Watson and especially Keothavong have good chances to progress.

Late Edit :-

James Baker (ranked 259) plays Andreas Beck GER (ranked 78) in the Men's first round.

I'm glad no British player has been given a wild card, as when I used to work there, it drove me mad to see the likes of Arvind Parmar, Jamie Delgado and Danny Sapsford turn up year after year, possibly win a round or two, pocket a good deal of prize money and sod off back to some challenger in Uzbekistan. It was too easy for them. Having said that, I'm sorry to see just two Brits in the men's draw.

Agree there, British tennis is a mess and giving the players a free meal ticket every year is pointless as it clearly isn't having the desired effect.

Looking forward to this year's tournament - could be wide open..

Agree there, British tennis is a mess and giving the players a free meal ticket every year is pointless as it clearly isn't having the desired effect.

Looking forward to this year's tournament - could be wide open..

Men's Tennis I fully agree, Women's wise the situation is different and is at least reasonable, with perhaps a chance of a couple of World Class players coming through over the next 10 years. (Robson and Watson)

Wimbledon next week, (although nobody interested in the UK while world cup is on)

Not sure the Scots would agree with that and not everyone is interested in the World Cup. I am certainly not.

I think Murray will go down with Henman as a nearly man, I fear.

Forget the football - federer currently 2-0 down...

Forget the football - federer currently 2-0 down...

The other guy has got an injury, so federer will probably come back and win now.

certainly not going his way at the moment

What a relief for Federer!, thought he had lost when falla served for match at 5-4, 2 sets to 1 up, nearly a tragic start to wimbledon, great to see hewitt winning as well

good fro Djokovic but wont win title, nowhere near good enough to beat Roddick in quarters

Sometimes I do wonder if the very very top players test themselves occasionally, and do things like that almost on purpose? Perhaps not yesterday though - Federer was pretty crap.

What a relief for Federer!, thought he had lost when falla served for match at 5-4, 2 sets to 1 up, nearly a tragic start to wimbledon, great to see hewitt winning as well

good fro Djokovic but wont win title, nowhere near good enough to beat Roddick in quarters

A bit of a strange post imo. If Federer had of lost it would of made the tournament a lot more interesting, which would of been a good thing,so it wouldn't of been tragic :D

of course Djokovic can beat Roddick.Roddick is nothing special and his record in grand slams says it all really.Without his first serve he can be average some of the time.

I'm normally happy for the big seeds to go out as it makes the tournament less predictable, but I think Federer is an exception. I've never warmed to the man, but he's such an exceptional tennis player that come the latter stages, and especially the final, I'd much rather see him and Nadal, than the fairly average players like Washington or Pioline that we've had in the past.

In contrast there are 6 British Women in the draw.

Elena Baltacha ranked 62nd, is having the best season of her career.

Katie O'Brien ranked 130, after a career high of 84 earlier this year.

Anne Keothavong ranked 157th, is coming back after injury, her previous top ranking was 48th last year, and she is not defending that many pts for the rest of the year (she was injured after Wimbledon), and could easily rise back into the top 100 this year.

Melanie South ranked 234, after being as high as 99, in 2009.

Laura Robson (16) is ranked 236, a career high ranking, a winner of Junior Wimbledon 2 years ago.

Heather Watson (18) is ranked 344, a winner of the Junior US Open last year.

There is also Naomi Cavaday, who is in the top 200 in the world. So there are a number of players in the British Women's tennis in the top 100/200 in the world now and likely to be over the coming years.

Compare this to the men with only Murray and Bogdanovic in the top 200, however to mention Murray and Bogdanovic in the same sentence seems a bit unfair.

Watson plays Romina Oprandi (ITA Ranked 140th)

O'Brien plays Alona Bondarenko (UKR-28th Seed)

South plays Regina Kulikova (RUS -69)

Baltacha plays Petra Martic (CRO -77)

Keothavong plays Anastasia Rodionova (AUS - 76)

Robson plays Jelena Jankovic (SER -4th seed)

The only one seeded to win is Baltacha, however IMO Watson and especially Keothavong have good chances to progress.

Late Edit :-

James Baker (ranked 259) plays Andreas Beck GER (ranked 78) in the Men's first round.

Good to see the British Women's players backing up my support. :) (all 6 went in the first round)

Good to see the British Women's players backing up my support. :whistling: (all 6 went in the first round)

:lol:

Only Murray left in the mens as well, fail.

31-31 final set on court 18, incredible!

34-34 now and very nearly 7 hours :yahoo:

And it continues, 42-42! Could they have to go off due to bad light again later? LOL! It'd be something like 65-65 by then.

50-50.... :)

Mahut doesn't even look tired whereas isner is struggling to run :)

53-52 to isner and it continues :D

Darkness won out this evening, with the match at 59-59 in the final set. They'll carry on tomorrow! Astonishing!

• Temperatures into heatwave territory and no rain

Some parts of the UK could qualify for heatwave conditions later this week and it's not the usual suspects. No rain as water levels decline and how are the evening skies for LanuchAmerica viewing? Watch the video here

Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts
    Latest weather updates from Netweather

High pressure in the driving seat until at least the end of May

High pressure continues to dominate our weather until at least early next week, with most staying dry and fine. The warm conditions will spread north, and the highest temperatures will transfer to the west as the high moves east and eventually over Scandinavia. Read the full update here

Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts
    Latest weather updates from Netweather