Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

When Does It Get Dark Where You Are ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Can you ‘read a paper’ at say 1am in the Shetlands?.

No artificial light and help from the moon.

I must have read it somewhere at sometime.

With clear skies over much of the country this week it would be lovely to see some pics of the horizon in different places at different times.

I’ll try to see whats happening at 11pm (as southerner that’s probably the best I’ll get) .

If only we could lock the Earth in this spot for an extra month... love the freedom & easiness of these long daylight hours. The claustrophobia of afternoon darkness couldn't seem further away nor as unappealing as it does at the moment.

lol, Im sure you would love daylight 24/7 365 days a year and no nasty cold at all.

Edited by Eugene

• 1 month later...
Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Dark by 9pm here now, not sure what time the sun rises.

Posted

Doesn't get dark early enough,for sure..... from my vantage point here,the last glimmer of the sun's disc slipped below the horizon at eleven minutes past eight yesterday.... so it's dark by 9pm,all told. 9pm!!! Can't wait 'til we lose one hour in one hit when the clocks go back,then not much later when it's dark at 4.30pm!

Posted
  • Location: Coleraine,Macosquin,County Londonderry, Northern Ireland

Tonight - My Exact Position

Sunset: 20:23:18

Civil: 21:03:11

Nautical: 21:54:27

Astronomical (Pitch Black): 22:57:24

Where did you get that?

Posted

Sunset Is 8.42pm here.

Sunrise is 6.15am here..

I wish they were later i am really getting sick of these long nights.

It usually gets pitch dark around 23:23! Though that shortens in the winter very quickly

Posted

My location:

Sunrise is 05:55 BST

Sunset is 20:04 BST with civil twilight lasting untill untill 20:40.

Sunset is now exactly one hour and fourteen minutes earlier compared to the lightest evening, which was now two months ago. Sobering really.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Loving the nights drawing in! Get's dark by about 8.45pm now. Sun rises at 6.13am and sets at 8.17pm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Noticeably shorter days now - more just an irritation than anything as I have to feed the plants etc soonish after dinner rather than taking my time... Come a month from now it'll be a quick post work job, another month everything will be dead anyway - and home daylight restricted to weekends only :whistling:

Posted

Sunset Is 8.42pm here.

Sunrise is 6.15am here..

I wish they were later i am really getting sick of these long nights.

It usually gets pitch dark around 23:23! Though that shortens in the winter very quickly

Edit thats totally different now, was dark at 9pm last night!

Posted

We are now loosing between 2 and 3 minutes of daylight each night - the period from now through to when the clocks go back is the period of greatest rate of loss of light per day. After the clocks go back the rate slows down gradually.

On wet nights it is preety dark by 8.30pm whereas clear skies can make for fairly light conditions still at 9pm. Make the most of the light in about 6 weeks time it will be dark by 7pm even on clear days and earlier on wet cloudy evenings.

Posted

We are now loosing between 2 and 3 minutes of daylight each night - the period from now through to when the clocks go back is the period of greatest rate of loss of light per day. After the clocks go back the rate slows down gradually.

On wet nights it is preety dark by 8.30pm whereas clear skies can make for fairly light conditions still at 9pm. Make the most of the light in about 6 weeks time it will be dark by 7pm even on clear days and earlier on wet cloudy evenings.

God it'll be dark by 6.30 then , that'll be weird!

Posted

I was surprised last evening when it was pitch dark at 9pm, won't be long until it's dark at 4pm :yahoo:

What's with the sad face? 'Tis a thing to rejoice! And think of those lovely lie-in mornings when it's cold/dark/windy/wet outside at 9am instead of being rudely awoken from fitful,sweaty slumbers by the blasted sun blasting thru' the window at 4am :) !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

What's with the sad face? 'Tis a thing to rejoice! And think of those lovely lie-in mornings when it's cold/dark/windy/wet outside at 9am instead of being rudely awoken from fitful,sweaty slumbers by the blasted sun blasting thru' the window at 4am :nea: !

I know - instead of being woken up fresh and ready to go to work every morning I can rejoice in having my eyes half closed and being in a foul mood until mid morning - yipee can't wait!

Oh and even better is it getting dark at 4pm - none of this easy cycles home in sunshine coupled with light summer traffic - instead I can 'man up' and take my life into my own hands in cycling in the pitch black in considerably heavy traffic as the 'fair weather crew' abandon walking/cycling and jump back in their cars!

I'm counting down the days already :cray: :lol:

Posted

Dunno when it gets dark, but with the silly clocks all being askew it's noticeable - especially on cloudy days - how late it starts getting light in the mornings now. Most annoying thing being that by the time we put the clocks back on real time it's too late in the year to get any benefit :p

Posted

Aren't they on about keeping us on BST all year round? Seems a good plan to me cutting my journey home from work in darkness from 4 months to 2 although meaning much darker mornings.

Posted

Coming up to the Autumn Solstice were losing about 5 minutes of Sunlight a day (3 minutes in the morning and the evening.) Eerie to think only some 3 months ago I was camping out at Nine Ladies watching the shortest Night/Longest Day. In terms of seasonal awareness, this year has flown by.

Aren't they on about keeping us on BST all year round? Seems a good plan to me cutting my journey home from work in darkness from 4 months to 2 although meaning much darker mornings.

It makes no odds what time you shift the clock to. The time between sunrise and sunset remains the same. We need to work round it and realise that it means different things to different people in different parts of the UK.

Posted

I totally agree.I live up here in Scotland also, and a permanent move to BST would IMHO be a bad thing, my daughter would have to walk to school and come home in complete darkness.In the far south this would im sure be an advantage to tourism famer's ETC,but the uk has a dramatic daylight shift from north to south.

Edited by Boydie