Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

When Does It Get Dark Where You Are ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

I was sitting in my Hot Tub outside as you do last night at 11pm and with clear skies it was very evident a large area to the West had pure twilight (I’m only 52N).

I read once in the far north of Scotland you could read a paper at midnight (without a moon of course) at this time of year.

I was surprise how just going up to York (this time of year) also added a fair bit to the twilight world.

What’s it like where you are?

Edited by stewfox

I was sitting in my Hot Tub outside as you do last night at 11pm and with clear skies it was very evident a large area to the West had pure twilight (I’m only 52N).

I read once in the far north of Scotland you could read a paper at midnight (without a moon of course) at this time of year.

I was surprise how just going up to York (this time of year) also added a fair bit to the twilight world.

What’s it like where you are?

Sunset here tonight is progged for 10.05pm. It will still be light enough to read by 11pm, maybe later than that; I shall try to remember to try it later on if I'm still up :clap:

I certainly know at this time of year it never seems to get properly dark. I'm (slightly north) west of Glasgow at almost 56N.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

By 10pm it's dimming a fair bit, by 11pm its still glowing to the north and by midnight its only as faint glow to the north.

Nothing will beat when I went to Iceland in June - it didn't get dark at all! Sun still shining at 11pm, then down it dips for a couple of hours 12-2am then back up it comes!

Take a look for yourself late tonight here: http://www.inspiredbyiceland.com/icelandlive/#geysir - I love watching this geyser going off!

Posted

I'd say around 12pm, but doesn't get properly dark at the moment. if it was a clear sky it wouldn't get dark!

I guess you mean 12 midnight and not 12 noon. There is no such time as 12am or 12pm 8) .

It's great to have a run of clear nights to coincide with the longest days of the year.

Posted

I'd say around 12pm, but doesn't get properly dark at the moment. if it was a clear sky it wouldn't get dark!

Your at 58N ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

It never gets truly dark here, with the sky a dark blue colour at its darkest, still it's dark enough and there's no way you would be able to read anything at midnight.

Posted

It never gets truly dark here, with the sky a dark blue colour at its darkest, still it's dark enough and there's no way you would be able to read anything at midnight.

Spot on. Also, if you get a view of the northern horizon you'll notice that it stays light.

It never fails to surprise me how early it starts to get light again. If I go to bed too late, I won't get to sleep!

Posted

A test (when clear) is if you can see the stars.

I'd say at the moment you can only see the brighter ones at all and then only between about midnight and 2am.

We have sea to the north despite being on east coast, and that heightens the northern glow.

Edited by 4wd

Posted

A test (when clear) is if you can see the stars.

I'd say at the moment you can only see the brighter ones at all and then only between about midnight and 2am.

We have sea to the north despite being on east coast, and that heightens the northern glow.

and you are where 4wd please?

Posted

It never gets dark where I live. It's one of the benefits of having the sun shine out of my....

Sky?

Here in Solihull, it's still semi twilight even at 10:30pm. But don't forget, it's also a good time to look out for NLC's (Noctilucent Clouds)

Phil.

Posted

I guess you mean 12 midnight and not 12 noon. There is no such time as 12am or 12pm :wacko: .

At the moment it's 01 midnight and 13 noon :whistling:

Not really noticed what time it gets properly dark here, but since it's already starting to get light by 3.00am I'm guessing it must be around 11.00pm? (I'm usually already in bed by then, though I wake roughly every hour through the night at the moment to check for nocties :D )

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

Looking forward to the darkness again personally.

Down here we are just south enough to get a bit of proper darkness even during midsummer I would have thought.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

There is no such time as 12am or 12pm smile.gif .

ante meridiem and post merediem,morning and after morningunknw.gif

Ante Meridiem and Post Meridiem. Ante is Latin for Before. Post is Latin for After. Meridiem is the accusative form of Meridis, meaning midday.biggrin.gif

Edited by nimbilus

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Well when I leave work at 9-9.30 its almost still broad daylight, it does get dark pretty quickly though, and by 11pm its getting pretty dark.

Posted

We have this thing called Electricity down south, I’m sure you will get it soon rolleyes.gif

Posted
  • Location: Coleraine,Macosquin,County Londonderry, Northern Ireland
  • Location: Coleraine,Macosquin,County Londonderry, Northern Ireland

It gets dark here about 11pm, but there is a twilight all night so its not properly dark you can see about 15 miles in a clear night without lights, then it gets bright again about 4am.

Posted

We have this thing called Electricity down south, I’m sure you will get it soon rolleyes.gif

Thats precisely why you're in the south, need all the help you can get :whistling:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Looking forward to the darkness again personally.

Yes, we're almost at the tipping point now, although it will be a couple of weeks into July before there's much difference in the evenings.

I'm not sure at what time it's truly dark here as I'm in bed for 11 p.m and on a clear night it's not dark at that time.

I do know that the sun is far enough above the horizon to trigger the sunshine recorder at 0455 b.s.t.

Enough of this effulgence, bring back the darkness!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

If only we could lock the Earth in this spot for an extra month... love the freedom & easiness of these long daylight hours. The claustrophobia of afternoon darkness couldn't seem further away nor as unappealing as it does at the moment.

Posted

Under clear skies it only tends to get dark after 11pm and quite often is fairly light until 12pm. Conversely cloudy wet evenings can descend into darkness at 10.30pm at this time of year.

I do love this time of year, people really should make the most of these light clear evenings, they don't last very long...