Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Pull Up A Chair And Relax For A Bit

jethro

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

I enjoy a little time in here, very resting.....

• 3 months later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Sea level rise simulator for google maps

http://flood.firetree.net/

I can park a boat at my front door at 4m aparently!

Posted

Takes the full 60m before I get to do a thing like that. Looks like Rotherham gets a good wash though... Mind you it needs it..

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Posted

A simple but interesting little read based on the question:

"What would the world be like if the land masses were spread out the same way as now - only rotated by an angle of 90 degrees?"

http://what-if.xkcd.com/10/

Europe resembles the old southeast Asia. Great Britain and Ireland look like the Indonesian islands of Sumatra and Borneo. Iceland resembles our Philippines. Central Europe is the new New Guinea, with the Alps the only place on the Equator with permanent glaciers.

Hurricane zones

Posted Image

Dead wrong though, he's not got a clue about Arctic processes. Rotate the landmasses, and you no longer have a continent at the South pole or an enclosed basin in the North - both are fully open to ocean currents. That won't let you build stable ice caps, in fact I'm not even sure you'll have seasonal ice. You'll end up with a climate much more like the Jurassic or Triassic, with open water at the poles and a much weaker temperature gradient from equator to poles.

Posted

Tis only a light read!

I think in that scenario, much of the south eastern Asia continent would be in the "Arctic". So I'd imagine the most likely spots for seasonal sea ice would be around the South China Sea, Gulf of Thailand and Java Sea, much of which is quite enclosed, relatively shallow and less saline typical seas.

Posted
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France
  • Weather Preferences: Continental type climate with lots of sunshine with occasional storm

I'm not really a big wine drinker, 'tis more for my girlfriend. She put up with my whinging over the last 2 days over my sunburnt head and neck and so I wanted to get it as a "thank you".

Currently she drinks the McGuigan Black Label (Australian) and JP Chenet (French I think), so if that helps!?

Sorry that this is a bit late and are you still together after all this time? only just found your post but my favourites are the wines of Languedoc - you have the Corbiere, Minervois, Fitou and Faugieres which are all full bodied reds about 13.5% and not expensive.

Beautiful but of course I'm biased - when we go there we usually buy by the 'pichet' in the restaurants in the village - a good local wine varying from 2€50 to 5€ for 50 cls, or a demi. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental type climate with lots of sunshine with occasional storm

Posted Image

Talisker anyone?

Naw - my favourite is Jamies with ice - love the Irish varieties, well with the exception of Paddy - I think that must be an acquired taste.

Edited by mike Meehan

Posted

Sorry that this is a bit late and are you still together after all this time? only just found your post but my favourites are the wines of Languedoc - you have the Corbiere, Minervois, Fitou and Faugieres which are all full bodied reds about 13.5% and not expensive.

Beautiful but of course I'm biased - when we go there we usually buy by the 'pichet' in the restaurants in the village - a good local wine varying from 2€50 to 5€ for 50 cls, or a demi. Posted Image

Somehow still together, 5 years last week!

Cheers for the suggestions, 'tis handy timing actually. It's her first day back in college today, so perhaps a nosey round a few wine isles might be in order!

Posted

Well I blame the red .last night, for my 'head' this a.m. (not the largers or the baccardi's) and the hp 'allinone' driver issues that kept me up until 2a.m.!!!

We used to trace and colour our homework!!! bloody printers....bloody networks...bloody XP/Win7.....Pah!!!

Posted

Somehow still together, 5 years last week!

Cheers for the suggestions, 'tis handy timing actually. It's her first day back in college today, so perhaps a nosey round a few wine isles might be in order!

So it's serious then - congratulations and all the best for the future - if you can't find those specific names look for things like vin de Paye d'Oc, vin d'Aude, or vin d'Herault Posted Image

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

OK, surely this will be the final straw. How can anybody claim climate change doesn't affect their lives after this?

Global Bacon Shortage 'Unavoidable' Next Year, Says U.K.'s National Pig Association

With pork costs rising, Great Britain is facing a bacon and sausage shortage as pig farmers cut back on herd size. But the problem may soon become global.

In a recent press release, the U.K.'s National Pig Association is warning that a "world shortage of pork and bacon next year is now unavoidable":

New data shows the European Union pig herd is declining at a significant rate, and this is a trend that is being mirrored around the world. Pig farmers have been plunged into loss by high pig-feed costs, caused by the global failure of maize and soya harvests. All main European pig-producing countries report shrinking sow herds.

Financial Times reports that this past season's droughts in North America and Russia are to blame for the spike in prices for grain crops, which are used to feed animals.

As of August, nearly half of all counties in the U.S. were considered disaster areas due to extreme dryness and heat.

Some U.S. farmers have taken to extreme measures to feed their livestock and save money at the same time, including one Kentucky farmer who fed his cattle candy "just to survive."

http://www.huffingto...kusaolp00000003

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

OK, surely this will be the final straw. How can anybody claim climate change doesn't affect their lives after this?

http://www.huffingto...kusaolp00000003

I dont like Bacon so I should be ok.

I am not sure you can 'blame' climate change on specfic shortages of different staples world wide. Thats been happening for as long as mankind stood upright.

I'm sure Stalin didnt blame climate change on the wheat shortages of 1927 that led to mass starvation but would have liked to I'm sure.

http://research.archives.gov/description/1560894

Edited by stewfox

Posted

I dont like Bacon so I should be ok.

I am not sure you can 'blame' climate change on specfic shortages of different staples world wide. Thats been happening for as long as mankind stood upright.

I'm sure Stalin didnt blame climate change on the wheat shortages of 1927 that led to mass starvation but would have liked to I'm sure.

http://research.arch...ription/1560894

I wasn't being serious... hence the posts locationPosted Image Not even a big fan of bacon myself!

Posted

Not my Bacon!!!!! God damn you AGW.......... ice free Arctic,drought,flood,heat,cold,sea level rise I can do but smoked back bacon-less???? Nooooooooooo!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

If they'd stop diverting Maize into making bio fuels they'd be more for the pigs.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • 4 weeks later...
Posted

Nation Unsure Which Candidate's Plan To Destroy The Environment Will Create More Jobs

WASHINGTON—According to a poll released Monday, the U.S. populace remained unsure which of the presidential candidates’ plans to destroy natural resources and render the environment unfit for human habitation would put more Americans back to work. “On one hand, President Obama has proved his commitment to creating jobs that will poison the entire American Northeast with toxic fracking chemicals, but on the other hand, Mitt Romney, with his pledge to intensify oil exploration offshore and in our nation’s protected wilderness, seems genuinely determined to put millions to work contaminating the oceans, exterminating scores of species, and inevitably accelerating a planetary cataclysm,†said Denver voter Lynn Russell, stressing the economic importance of good-paying jobs that systematically eliminate all remaining natural resources left on earth. “The candidates have so many comprehensive ideas for ensuring that our overheating planet—as well as human society in general—is pushed well beyond the point of no return, but it’s impossible to tell which one will go slightly farther in reducing unemployment.†Voters nationwide reportedly found themselves even more on the fence after learning that both candidates had pledged to build dozens of job-creating nuclear plants that, in the event of a minor mishap, could render vast regions of the nation immediately unlivable

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Merry Christmas everyone

post-6280-0-19111600-1356375374_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Posted

Have a good one folks!

Posted Image

• Like 1