Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Paul

World Cup 2010

Started a fresh thread for this as there's way too much rubbish gone on in the other thread to make it worthwhile going through it to sort it all out. Apologies to those who have made reasonable posts in there..

Greece were dire against S Korea. It's hard to believe they won the European Championships just 6 years ago! South Korea look like a fairly decent side though. Next up: Nigeria -v- Argentina, I think we all know who most Englishmen will be supporting!

And Paul - can we have this thread pinned again please?

Greece were absolutely terrible and will be going out after next match defeat. I don't think Korea were that good either, I just think Greece made them look good.

Put it this way, had England played against that S. Korea side I think England would have won 3 or 4-0.

Greece were absolutely terrible and will be going out after next match defeat. I don't think Korea were that good either, I just think Greece made them look good.

Put it this way, had England played against that S. Korea side I think England would have won 3 or 4-0.

I don't think South Korea were too bad, yes Greece were terrible but South Korea could easily have been 3-0 up at half time if it wasn't for some questionable refereeing decisions and a bit of poor finishing.

unlucky to nigeria tbf, their forwards too often took long range shots and hoped for the best imo, and a couple of times the defence wasnt where it needed to be( i.e tevez's run-in in the second half). on the other hand, fantastic goalkeeping from enyeama, its easy to see why championship/ premier teams are expressing an interest in him. still though, not a thrashing by any means, and an entertaining game :)

Good old ITV1 HD...They go to an unplanned advert break after 3 minutes....and guess what?....we miss a great goal by England!...1-0....and ITV are a bunch of useless numpties!

Good old ITV1 HD...They go to an unplanned advert break after 3 minutes....and guess what?....we miss a great goal by England!...1-0....and ITV are a bunch of useless numpties!

Don't use HD normal TV no break

Not on normal ITV but that is just typical from them and ridiculous.

You would of thought they would of learnt from the infamous Everton game where some viewers lost the picture when they scored but this is ITV aint it... :)

Calamity Greene?.....Oh dear, and absolute howler....1-1

This is terrible. England were good for 4 minutes. End of. If they dont win this then...well thats up for you to decide.

There is no excuse for that goal keeping error. Shocking, and together with Englands lack of anything vibrant it was coming anyway. In my opinion USA had played a little better with more intent and deserve the goal they got.

I feel a bit disappointed despite the fact USA are a good team. Donovan has been the best player on the pitch so far.

I hope we can pick ourselves up and take this match comfortably in the second half, if not the USA will win.

You would of thought they would of learnt from the infamous Everton game where some viewers lost the picture when they scored but this is ITV aint it... :)

This happened before and I don't think that was a planned ad, more like someone deliberatly pulling a plug somewhere ???

Poor old Rob Green :) you have to get your body behind the ball mate, GK page 1 rule 1.

When a goalkeeper makes an error everyone remembers it anybody else on the pitch it's forgotten.

Best game so far in the world cup. Worst game for Green as we failed to win so he'll be thinking about his mistake until the next game.

Personally, I thought England's playmaking was good, but the final touches were abysmal...To succeed in any sport, one must supply the finishing touch, its just a shame none of our incredibly over-paid footballers haven't learned this yet....They'd better learn quickly if they want to go further in the world cup....The USA IMO were poor on paper, and poor on the pitch...A top class international team would have put at least 4 past the yanks tonight, England managed just one...........

A disappointing result which won't make the remaining group matches any easier. USA are a good team but they are not world class, England however are supposed to be a world class team, in any case England should have the edge and I didn't see much of that today.

If England continue not to provide an end product to the build up then even getting out of the group stages is not a given.

Having said that the USA deserve credit for defending well.

England in the first half were over confident so eased back. The clumsy own goal woke them up a bit and if Heskey could shoot we'd have won. On a side note when was the last time Crouchy played for England and failed to score.

What a load of rubbish.Hopefully Joe Hart will replace Rob Green in the next game.

Another couple of worries are Ledley King's potential injury, and England's alarming lack of pace in central Defence...Top class strikers might well be queuing up for a crack at Carragher & Terry on the break....Still there were some plus points, England did at least create numerous chances...Glenn Johnson had a superb game, Wight-Phillips impressed on the ball, and Heskey had a good game, apart from the fact that as a striker he has absolutely no goal instinct...Rooney played better as the game went on, but on numerous occasions was far too deep in the centre of midfield....As mentioned earlier, England must convert chances to progress, time for 4-5-1 with Gerrard just behind Rooney

There was very little wrong with the performance tonight, England for the most part controlled the game. People forget that the USA are no mugs and are not ranked 14th in the world for nothing, a good team such as Brazil only managed to put 2 past them in last years Con Fed.

A win would of been nice but a point against your nearest group rivals is a perfectly acceptable result. England fans are always guilty of expecting the team to win every game well and that tends to rub off on the players who are then under pressure in games like tonight to get the winner and then we end up losing 2-1. The WC is a marathon not a sprint and a leaf out of the Italian and German books on how to win the WC would do us well. Steady 1-1 draw to open, pick Rob Green again because he is the most unlikely GK to do it again.

I haven't commented in the run up to the World Cup about England's chances...because I simply don't rate them. Of course I hope England do well, but I fail to see what serious threat we pose.

I thought it was a very mediocre performance tonight. A great start fizzled out and then the goalkeeping howler was absolutely shocking. Apart from that, Green did quite well. Heskey I was pleasantly surprised by, but I thought the likes of Rooney and Lampard were quiet whilst Wright-Phillips is just a hopeless case. England may make it through to the 2nd round, but I don't see them going much further. The goalkeeping situation is suspect, the defence has injury worries, the midfield isn't clicking and we have very few attacking options. The fact is England are a long, long way off being considered potential winners, and I feel the 2002 and 2006 World Cup teams we had were much stronger on the whole. An early exit looms, and I wouldn't be totally surprised if we exited at the end of the group stage.

I certainly didn't see a World Cup winning side out there today. But don't be too hard on Rob Green, all keepers make mistakes.

There was very little wrong with the performance tonight, England for the most part controlled the game. People forget that the USA are no mugs and are not ranked 14th in the world for nothing, a good team such as Brazil only managed to put 2 past them in last years Con Fed.

A win would of been nice but a point against your nearest group rivals is a perfectly acceptable result. England fans are always guilty of expecting the team to win every game well and that tends to rub off on the players who are then under pressure in games like tonight to get the winner and then we end up losing 2-1. The WC is a marathon not a sprint and a leaf out of the Italian and German books on how to win the WC would do us well. Steady 1-1 draw to open, pick Rob Green again because he is the most unlikely GK to do it again.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that point...I thought team USA were very ordinary..My pub-team would fancy their chances against them...The yanks are nowhere near as good as they were 4 years ago....I watched and enjoyed the Argentina game earlier, and trust me, Messi would have scored 4 alone against the americans tonight with probably another 2 from Tevez

• High pressure in the driving seat until at least the end of May

High pressure continues to dominate our weather until at least early next week, with most staying dry and fine. The warm conditions will spread north, and the highest temperatures will transfer to the west as the high moves east and eventually over Scandinavia. Read the full update here

Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts
    Latest weather updates from Netweather

More warmth and little rain in the forecast as May ends

HIgh pressure is slipping over the UK bringing settled and dry weather. Light winds before it moves away eastwards at the end of the week and the warmth extends northwards. Read the full update here

Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts
    Latest weather updates from Netweather