Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Osbourne One-Nil

Someone Explain Hig-Definition To Me

I know what high definition is, but....

I've just gone and got a Sky + HD box as they've got a deal on right now, but not added a subscription to it as I only want BBC and ITV HD really and my current Sky + box is starting to act up anyway.

My telly is a Samsung LE26R74BD. It's a few years old and it's only 26", but it's nice and according to the manual, can accept 480p, 720p and 1080i, but what do these mean, which does the Sky HD box offer, and will HD still look good on a 26" telly?

Should still look good although HD is definitely better on a larger screen so you can really take advantage of the extra detail. The Sky box will do 720p or 1080i - both of which are hd, you're generally better off using 720p as 1080i doesn't really offer any improvement in picture and because it uses software to upscale it, may result in motion blur etc when watching fast moving images (like sport).

Thanks Paul. My cunning plan of making the Sky + box go wrong made my wife agree to the HD box, so now I need something to start "going wrong" with the telly!

Does it have a HDMI cable input on the back - if not then you can't get HD out of the HD sky box, a very good reason to get a new one I'd say? If not, I've heard dropping them is a good way to break them.

She's checked it's got the HDMI socket, but I reckon when she checked it, she'll have damaged it in some way. Careless woman.

You could always try to talk her into one of the new 3D HDTV's

Then you can 'relent' and settle for a plain old HD one (which will soon start to drop in price as the 3D tellys start to take off)

Edit: by the way, is this the TV that gets the screen burn? I suggest you may just have to pause programs....... a lot.

i have everything hd my pc my xbox360 and my virgin my playstation 3.

my tv lg full hd will go to 1080p,

if im correct the p stands for progressive this is the best it can go to,

as for 720p this is the best setting like paul said better than 1080i which will cause screen blur in fast scences,

if your tv is a 1080p tv then this is even better meaning more pixels mean sharper picture.

hd is the nuts if you have a sorround sound system aswell then optical sound is good for this although alot are talking saying that hdmi sound is pretty good,but optical is the best in my opion.

You could always try to talk her into one of the new 3D HDTV's

Then you can 'relent' and settle for a plain old HD one (which will soon start to drop in price as the 3D tellys start to take off)

Edit: by the way, is this the TV that gets the screen burn? I suggest you may just have to pause programs....... a lot.

most boxes virgin sky and games console have screen burn protection where the screen dims whilst paused.

so i would not worry to much about this (: