Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nick L

Season Ticket Prices

Just seen this on an Albion forum:

PLstPrices10-11.jpg

Those prices sicken me. What real, working class football fan would pay almost £900 to watch Arsenal next season? And why are Wolves more expensive than Man United?! We are 10th because of our cheapest season ticket, our most expensive one is considerably less than many others.

Yet more evidence onto the heap that proves the Premier League is the money league, if you want a more fan friendly league you have to go lower down.

as you say how can any fan, especially a family, mum, dad, two kids, afford those prices?

as you say how can any fan, especially a family, mum, dad, two kids, afford those prices?

They can't is the simple and tragic answer, John. Football has turned into a monster - at the top level at least.

The only hope the average, working class football fan has is that the bubble will one day burst. And where do these disgustingly high prices go? To the even more disgustingly high wages that footballers are paid:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/10249101.stm

How a club can spend 2/3 of it's revenues on wages and expect to sustain it is beyond me. Surely this has to reach a tipping point?

I'm not a great fan of high ticket prices, but no one has a right to be able to afford to go to a football match, let alone every football match.

When I was a kid, you could get into Portman Road for an eighth-pence, but now I believe it's one of the most expensive clubs in the Championship. The thing is, our crowds are more or less as big as they've ever been, so if I were running the club, and I could fill it with more affluent people who could afford the prices, then I would. They're almost obliged to I'd say.

I'm not a great fan of high ticket prices, but no one has a right to be able to afford to go to a football match, let alone every football match.

When I was a kid, you could get into Portman Road for an eighth-pence, but now I believe it's one of the most expensive clubs in the Championship. The thing is, our crowds are more or less as big as they've ever been, so if I were running the club, and I could fill it with more affluent people who could afford the prices, then I would. They're almost obliged to I'd say.

But my point is that they are funding ridiculously high wages for professional footballers. They do not deserve up to £100k/week (in some cases substantially more than that) purely for kicking a ball. I wouldn't mind as much if it meant cheap merchandise, but most clubs sell their replica shirts for £40. I refuse to pay £40 for a shirt and wait towards the end of the season when the sales come on.

What normal family could afford a season ticket at a top Premier League club?

No normal family could, and whilst it's a shame why should they be able to? If a club can fill a ground with high prices, then they're bound to. Normal families could perhaps afford Wigan and Blackburn, but seem to choose not to.

I'd be surprised if a single penny of ticket revenue went towards players' salaries - that's what the clubs' huge overdrafts are for.

Terraces:

Adults £175.00

Concessions £85.00

Juniors £30.00

Main Stand Season Ticket:

Adults £200.00

Concessions £100.00

Juniors £40.00

As you can see, even at this level (BSS, league below the BSP) a adult season ticket for the seating is £200!

I remember in our first season in the Premier League (2002/03), a junior season ticket cost a mere £24. Although we got comprehensively battered that season it was still excellent value!

Baggies have announced their matchday prices for next season, which are a bit steep:

Matchday Prices

But they benefit season ticket holders, an adult who bought the cheapest possible season ticket £399 would have forked out £661 on a match-by-match basis, saving £262.