Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective Outlook

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

bit of a dissapointment for me in london to put it mildly, is there anything more to come or has it all passed for today? thanks

100% agree with you there! very disapointing.

Posted

squall line east of Ipswich on radar?

Yes, had a pretty squally spell of weather here a short while ago with torrential rain, gusty winds and almost continous thunder and lightning! Not checked rainfall total yet, but a lot of localised flash flooding around here. An impressive period of weather for sure! Radar shows the core of the storm passed overhead this area, and it certainly seemed it!

Posted

Thanks for the comments everyone - it stuck out like a sore thumb but I had to be quick with the camera as within 3 minutes it had vanished. Its all quietened down here now ; the last cell is now moving out into the North Sea and thunder is becoming less frequent. That last cell was quite nice - at one point there were 3 CGs & 1 IC at the same time within the same area which I hadn't expected from a storm that didn't seem very intense.

At least that humidity thats been around all day has cleared!

Jamie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Hi all

Just got some pictures of a beasty looking overshooting CB, and it must the one that was just South of London

Picture216.jpg

Picture215.jpg

Picture213.jpg

Picture212.jpg

These better of showed lol

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Really impressive strike rates from the storms in the southeast.

post-2-12758519329555_thumb.png

Aye, had at least 3 storms pass over this afternoon, they seemed to intensify as they went further east. Shame I was too busy to get out on the road and follow them today, always seem to happen when I can't get out!

Looking at the 12z Herstmonceux sounding, adjusted to a surface temp of 23C which was recorded near Gatwick this afternoon, quite a large amount of CAPE would have been realised with cloud tops reaching 250mb perhaps, as I have annotated on the skew-t below:

post-1052-12758540069053_thumb.gif

Posted

Hi all

Just got some pictures of a beasty looking overshooting CB, and it must the one that was just South of London

Picture216.jpg

Picture215.jpg

Picture213.jpg

Picture212.jpg

These better of showed lol

Nice pictures :unknw:

Posted

One way plane ticket to the US please! wallbash.gif

this country is very uninteresting in the way off weather most of the time. rolleyes.gif

Its just like russian roulette but this time i wanted to get shot! haha

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

The underside of the storm :unknw:

Harry your baby lol

Could this be what you saw Neilsouth? I took this looking north towards the sea about 20 minutes ago. I suddenly spotted an odd formation similar to one I saw a few years ago. It seemed to approach land rather quick despite the storm moving along the coast.

Unusual Cloud

At the time no , however i did see that cloud formation from the storm going along the north kent coast

Fantastic photo , keeper :unknw:

Posted

A storm in lincolnshire last night!

I didnt film this btw i found it on youtube.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

A storm in lincolnshire last night!

I didnt film this btw i found it on youtube.

Great video find there Mesodiscussion, looks impressive.

Certainly an unknown entity here in the dry and arid West Country though on the plus side it has probably been one of the sunniest places in the UK this afternoon.

Posted

J-Me,    your shelf cloud picture posted earlier seems to contain a ufo, if you zoom in it seems to be a saucer shape!  with a strange ring around it..

Posted
  • Location: Newcastle-under-Lyme, Staffs (Weekends) - RAF Benson, Oxon (During the week!)
  • Location: Newcastle-under-Lyme, Staffs (Weekends) - RAF Benson, Oxon (During the week!)

Hi all,

Long time since i've been on as i've been away with work... Nice to see it so busy here still! I'm down in Benson just south of Oxford at the moment - seen nothing all day except for a few distant CB's. Have just been outside to the car though and there is a beautiful and menacing looking CB building directly over the Benson area. REALLY dark base and the tops are so high they are lit up a deep orange by the sun which is below the horizon now. Awesome sight - will try to get some pics! Not convinced anything will come of it, but just goes to show that there is still some CAPE out there with the sun going down and the air cooling!

Regards to all and here's to a decent home storm season!

Matt

Posted
  • Location: Lowestoft, Suffolk. (the UK's most easterley point) 131ft [40m] amsl
  • Location: Lowestoft, Suffolk. (the UK's most easterley point) 131ft [40m] amsl

Glad i'm now a non-member of the no-storms club! A few brief flashes and bangs from the line that moved E wards through Norfolk/N Suffolk. By the time it got to me on the coast, not much energy left. Rainfall rate impressive though, up to 40 odd mm/hr.

:clap:

Posted

J-Me,    your shelf cloud picture posted earlier seems to contain a ufo, if you zoom in it seems to be a saucer shape!  with a strange ring around it..

You're not the first to ask about that as it really does look as you described - even I had to look twice! Alas closer inspection of the RAW image reveals its a seagull and the 'ring' is just artifact from the high JPEG compression in the uploaded version of the picture. :clap:

Jamie

Posted

You're not the first to ask about that as it really does look as you described - even I had to look twice! Alas closer inspection of the RAW image reveals its a seagull and the 'ring' is just artifact from the high JPEG compression in the uploaded version of the picture. smile.gif

Jamie

is that your red scooby over on the left? :clap:

Posted

Really nice day today, didn't catch any lightning as everything skirted just to my South East or far to my North, with at least a couple of downpours developing overhead just as they moved off to my East.

But I got to see some fantastic cloud structure, initially to my distant North and then to my East. Rock solid updrafts, pileus and glaciated anvils all in evidence today indicating some pretty serious potential being released. Improving visibility throughout the afternoon was nice too. Interesting to be under a couple of rapidly developing updrafts as they moved up the Thats estuary, very rapidly changing conditions as we got no more than a moderate shower while the land just a few miles East was deluged.

A welcome relief from the opressive humidity for now.

Edited by jshaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, humid & exciting

still some nice convection here with anvils around....maybe another storm later

Gloucestershire's revenge?. :clap:

Argh! Gutted, have been at work since 11am, just got back and looked at the radar for the day. What a catch 22. Gotta work to have a car, cant chase if your at work!

Im pleased for us Gloucestershire peeps though; Lynxus, Dogs, especially Jane Louise!

Heres to a good year, and if not then im off to France for the first two weeks of July anyway. :cheers:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

The second lot of storms did reach Norwich but the electrification fizzled out on its northern flank as it got here- so the rather surprising sight of very heavy rain, darkening skies such that all the streetlights came on at 7:30pm... and not even a rumble. Of course I did have that thunderstorm at 4pm so am out of the No Storms Club.

Posted

for me im still firmly in the no storms club!! nonono.gif

Posted

Storm Forecast Issued: 2010-06-06 22:21:00

Valid: 2010-06-07 00:00:00 - 2010-06-07 23:59:00

Regions Affected

(E Anglia, E Midlands, NW & NE England, Yorkshire, S, C & W Scotland, Northern Ireland are included in the WATCH)

Synopsis

Existing showers and thunderstorms courtesy of Low pressure "Cordula" will decay over the North Sea/Low Countries during the first few hours of this forecast period.

During daylight hours, scattered showers are expected to develop across the WATCH area of Britain - there is a slight risk of electrical activity, this most likely in northern England and Scotland given some decent orographic lift. Otherwise, most showers should be light-moderate in intensity and should decay widely during the late afternoon hours as a frontal system rapidly approaches from the southwest.

Behind this frontal system, scattered showers and thunderstorms are forecast for the Southwest of Ireland for a short time period during the late afternoon and evening hours. These showers become fewer in number later in the evening, after sunset.

http://www.ukasf.co.uk/module-Storm/mode-forecast/id-297/

post-449-12758887073498_thumb.png

Posted

Hopefully plenty of showers around my area today so i'll get an easy day at work.wishful thinking :clap: