Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Report & Pictures Chase Day 40

Paul Sherman

Posted

Yes! Finally got my 1st ever June Tornado and my 1st ever Iowa Tornado :):)

Really Enjoyed todays Chase, started in St Jo and had a chase target of Des Moines. Got onto a few cells and a Tornado Watch was issued, Storms were moving to the SE At 40mph so made sure to keep on the Tail end of the line near Des Moines. Watched a wall cloud head towards us but had to re-position further South along I-35, Pulled off a further 5 Miles South at the St Charles exit, just us and a Vortex 2 car were there, as I pulled over the rotation was about 100 Metres to my North West and was pretty violent, and then on the ground a very fast vortex swirling about in the field opposite us. This turned into a Multi Vortex circulation and our location started to get lots of rain, the vortex disappeared into the rain and crossed I-35 To our East. Then punched another core further South on I-35 and headed East to try to flank 2 Supercells, by this time we were in Missouri :shok: took a South road that then just ended with Bridge out signs, had to then head west down dirt tracks and got cored briefly with debris and leaves flying across the road but somehow made it under the Rain Free Base, stopped to let another area of rotation pass just to our North East but no Tornado this time. Thought Missouri was going to get me again but in the end really enjoyed todays chase, and this part of Missouri had quite a few open spaces.

Will have to sort Video out for the pics as everything was so fast for normal digital slr pics

Regards

Paul S & Team

Posted

This frontal band of storms became very severe after leaving Iowa and Missouri, around sunset in central Illinois there were multiple reports of large tornados with severe damage and probable casualties -- these storms have continued rapidly east through Indiana and Ohio overnight and the complex should redevelop in the northeast U.S. on Sunday afternoon. I'm afraid there will be a death toll with this outbreak despite multiple warnings. Spotters were reporting mile-wide tornado activity in parts of central Illinois and several towns have been hit with reports of houses and other buildings destroyed. As of 06z there had been 36 tornado reports on the NWS site and that total is likely to increase to 50+ so I would say this is perhaps the biggest outbreak of 2010 so far.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Nice one Paul, looking forward to the pics/video.

48 tornado reports on SPC now, this one sounds like it's from the Vortex 2 member you saw about your tornado...

1 E ST. CHARLES WARREN IA

VORTEX 2 MEMBER REPORTED A MULTIPLE VORTEX TORNADO CROSSING INTERSTATE 35 SOUTH OF HIGHWAY 92. TORNADO DISAPPEARED IN THE RAIN EAST OF THE INTERSTATE.

Posted

Yes! Finally got my 1st ever June Tornado and my 1st ever Iowa Tornado :):D

You just knew this was going to happen this year... :D

Well done guys..

Posted

Thanks Guys :D It really was a good chase, on a dirt track we went over a bridge that had 2 planks of wood, then as the hail and rain came down heavy abour 1 mile in the distance was a great big dirt track hill that led to a paved road, just had to put my foot down and hope it made it to the top, was sliding for a while but she made it LOL

I see my down day has been destroyed by the latest update and looks like Supercells in Colorado today, this makes it 8 from 8 if you include the Storms Tour 4 got on the way upto Norman on changeover day and with 2 Back to Back Slights over Kansas this will be 10 from 10 by Tuesday :drunk::)

Paul S

Posted

Just thought I'd post a link to some video footage Brad Emel and Scott Sims from Stormtrack got on the Yates City Elephant trunk tornado. Absolutly amazing, lots of debris and cg's too! Its 140mb but worth the download. Right click and save as :clap:

http://www.brademel.com/stormtrack/Yates-City-Tornado.wmv

Edited by Smokes

Posted
The devastating tornado that killed seven in Ohio this weekend also mangled this Dodge Viper and what appears to be an SRT10 Dodge Ram.

500x_viper_ram_crash.jpg

jalopnik.com

MILLBURY, Ohio — A mother and her young son are among the seven people killed in a weekend tornado in Ohio, along with the father of a high school valedictorian whose graduation was postponed because of storm damage.
The tornado was Ohio's strongest in eight years, part of a line of storms that ripped through the Midwest over the weekend, destroying dozens of homes and an emergency services building in northwest Ohio. Storms collapsed a movie-theater roof in Illinois and ripped siding off a building at a Michigan nuclear plant, forcing a shutdown. But the worst destruction was reserved for a strip up to 300 yards wide and 10 miles long southeast of Toledo left littered Sunday with wrecked vehicles, splintered wood and family possessions. Crews were working Monday morning to put up power lines to restore service to an estimated 1,000 customers. But the most devastated neighborhoods were quiet compared with Sunday, when hundreds of volunteers cleaned up debris.

www.google.com