Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PersianPaladin

World War Ii Bomb Kills Three In Germany

Nope we shouldnt we dropped the bomb in the war trying to save our country so we shouldnt apoligize :p

Well, that's debatable I guess. Do you approve of what happened in Dresden?

What happenned in Dresden like? :)

deleted by me as I really don't wish to upset anyone and would rather stay out of this

John

Why anyone would expect us to apologise is beyond me,thousands of bombs were dropped both here in the UK and on Germany, the loss of life is to be deplored but it could have happened here and no one really can expect the current generation of Germans to take any responsibility. As for Dresden,at the time it happened the thinking was I believe ,it would bring the war to an earlier conclusion,in reality all that the bombing of civilians did was to strenghten their resolve.

Why anyone would expect us to apologise is beyond me,thousands of bombs were dropped both here in the UK and on Germany, the loss of life is to be deplored but it could have happened here and no one really can expect the current generation of Germans to take any responsibility. As for Dresden,at the time it happened the thinking was I believe ,it would bring the war to an earlier conclusion,in reality all that the bombing of civilians did was to strenghten their resolve.

I was playing devil's advocate.

BOTH sides (including ours) committed atrocities by bombing civilians. That's what modern warfare is. An atrocity.

This debate is dead and buried, I live next to coventry, which was used as an excuse for that "massacre/atrocity" but the folk of coventry have learned to deal with it and get over it.

I work in a garden centre where most of our customers are at or over the age where they remember the war, and I've not in 10 years of working there heard any bad words about the Germans.

On the contrary, they seem to have learned that what happened during the war was so awful on all sides that we really should forget about it and try to work for peace.

There is even a German woman in her 60 who lives near by and she is one of the most respected people by the Coventrians that I know.

Both of our countries have learned from this, and as long as there are folk alive to remind us of that most epic human "cockup" that was the second world war, we 'hopefully' will never see it again!

Lest we forget! lest we dwell!

I was playing devil's advocate.

That's what modern warfare is. An atrocity.

Isn't that what any war is? Since time immemorial men, women and children have killed men, women and children. All war is abominable!

Isn't that what any war is? Since time immemorial men, women and children have killed men, women and children. All war is abominable!

The worst danger we have is losing those who remember, as that is usually the que for the next load of idiots to start getting the stupid idea of war into the next generations minds.

What about Coventry? And who started the bombing of civilians?

What about Coventry? And who started the bombing of civilians?

That's a bad way to think about it!

What's done is done!

If we don't learn from it and keep on bringing it up, then THAT is what will lead to a new load hatred and anger.

THAT is what Coventry and Dresden stand for, reconciliation....surely you must understand that??? how could you say those words knowing millions died only to find out that they did it all in vain?

Only one good thing came from the war, and that was the sense that we should NEVER let it happen again!

Bringing up things like "who started it?" is a massive insult to those still living who went through it, and an even bigger insult to the millions who died.

There has got to be line drawn under it, yes we should always remember, but we should never dwell on the bad parts to make an argument for a new age of atrocities, because that's what people will do!

That's a bad way to think about it!

What's done is done!

If we don't learn from it and keep on bringing it up, then THAT is what will lead to a new load hatred and anger.

My response was to the thread question itself rather then WW2, I also do not think Germany should apologise for Coventry either. War is War at the end of the day and as I tell my kids if they were only fought by those over 40yrs old there would be a lot more eleventh hour peace treaties.

Yes. It's always been horrible and innocents have always died.

But modern warfare is even worse in the sense that it's far easier to kill innocent civilians with bombs, bullets, missiles, etc than and swords or old siege weapons. There were times when armies actually faced each other on battle-fields. The late 19th and 20th/21st centuries massively increased the amount of innocents that died in warfare. Now, we have an even greater amount of cowardice with unmanned drones piloted from thousands of miles away killing innocent civilians.

Who started world war 2? Well, it's the Elite as always who start wars and get the masses to fight them. Having said that, here in Britain we did have to defend ourselves in the end albeit brutality was committed by our government too. Let's not also forget that George Bush's grandfather funded Hitler as did some of the American corporations. It's not conspiracy theory either: -

http://www.guardian.....secondworldwar

albeit brutality was committed by our government too.

Definitely, I am sure Churchill was one of those involved in stopping Jews from coming here before the war to escape persecution?

A story not often told is what happened in Berlin in the immediate days after its fall when allied forces were in control.

This discussion seems to be straying a little bit.....

• High pressure in the driving seat until at least the end of May

High pressure continues to dominate our weather until at least early next week, with most staying dry and fine. The warm conditions will spread north, and the highest temperatures will transfer to the west as the high moves east and eventually over Scandinavia. Read the full update here

Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts
    Latest weather updates from Netweather

More warmth and little rain in the forecast as May ends

HIgh pressure is slipping over the UK bringing settled and dry weather. Light winds before it moves away eastwards at the end of the week and the warmth extends northwards. Read the full update here

Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts
    Latest weather updates from Netweather