Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The PIT

Cumbrian Gunman Kills Several People

I'm going to the lake district next month. I'm a bit wary now after 4 people got struck by lightning on the same day, and now this....

yeah ive seen it on sky news just now. Police still on high alert although the gunmans body has been found

as the pit said , keep safe folks

Well he may have killed himself by the sounds of it. He certainly got around a bit looking at the map. I wonder what triggered it off. No doubt plenty speculation to come in the coming days.

At least 5 dead 25 injured death toll may rise but hopefully not. Sadly the Beeb felt it worthwhile showing what maybe a dead body on the pavement. Why I don't know.

12 people killed according to recent Police press announcement

Awful, just awful

That's terrible. Are they sure it's just 1 person that did the shooting? Hard to imagine what could push a person to just shoot indiscriminately like that.

That's terrible. Are they sure it's just 1 person that did the shooting? Hard to imagine what could push a person to just shoot indiscriminately like that.

Just one so it's said. He had a car hence the spree.

What can one say when this sort of thing occurs-I reckon we will never really know what went on in this mans head,I believe another 3 of the injured are critical.

Apparently it was over an argument with some other taxi drivers. I don't buy that.

Apparently it was over an argument with some other taxi drivers. I don't buy that.

So what's your alternative answer? Do share.

My mother is from Whitehaven and some of my relatives still live there and for the first time in around 8 years my mother visited only yesterday..!!! Glad she only visited for the day and went when she did. She phoned them today and all is well with my family (although my cousin was locked in the towns library for just over 3 hours until the authorities deemed safe for them to come out) but thoughts go out to the families suffering tonight.. And as why he did it ...who knows..? but he was armed with a shotgun and is said to have had a disagreement with a fellow taxi driver.

Police corrected reports that Bird’s 90-year-old mother had been shot but refused to comment on claims by close family friends that there was a bitter legal dispute over her will.

The killings were said by relatives to have begun with Bird shooting his twin brother, David, and the family’s solicitor, Kevin J. Commons, whose home was cordoned off by police last night. Those murders were said to have happened several hours before the first reports of shooting in Whitehaven.

One female relative told The Times that the twins’ other brother, Brian Bird, was in a state of utter shock. She said: “He is sitting there knowing that one of his brothers has killed the other brother. God knows how that feels.â€

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/crime/article7143018.ece

After removing several posts, can I remind people to stick strictly to topic please?

And please don't feed the troll!!!

i hate this news too because it is so depressing to hear. but some people are so insensitive by making rude remarks about it. on facebook someone put this:

i was on facebook and someone put this as their status:

'no corrie again? there should be more massacres every week'

so i replied to the person saying : you are a sick and should be ashamed, you might not like but you should not use the massacre as an excuse for a tv prgramme not to be aired. you are as bad as that vile man!

then he put 'get a life you pr*ck'

Sad to say that does show how the standard of rational thinking has deteriorated these days.

Why the hell do the news people feel the need to give live coverage to the funeral of Gary Purdham? Why can't they just sod off and let people grieve in peace?

Not often I agree with O-O-N. In fact, this is probably a first. Now pess off media, whoever you are and let these poor families who have lost loved ones suddenly be allowed to grieve in private.

Or have you no morals at all?

Sometimes, you so-called media, red topped newpapers especially make me sick to the core. LEAVE THOSE FAMILIES ALONE!!

Sorry O-O-N. But I had to let that one out. I wonder how many of those 'reporters' held that minutes silence at 12pm yesterday?

Phil.

i hate this news too because it is so depressing to hear. but some people are so insensitive by making rude remarks about it. on facebook someone put this:

i was on facebook and someone put this as their status:

'no corrie again? there should be more massacres every week'

so i replied to the person saying : you are a sick and should be ashamed, you might not like but you should not use the massacre as an excuse for a tv prgramme not to be aired. you are as bad as that vile man!

then he put 'get a life you pr*ck'

what a shame facebook is not banning that person permanently:

regarding the media coverage.

Yes it was right that it be reported but was it necessary to have, for instance, part of each BBC morning TV, I rarely watch ITV, to come from Cumbria for several days? Now the area has had its collective day of remembrance yes for goodness sake let the families be left alone to grieve privately not to have news reporters with other media, camers, recording their every move.

We live in a sad society it seems.

I got rather annoyed with the beeb showing the dead bodies on the pavement. Did they really need to show them ??? And yes press let people alone and let them grief in peace.

• Temperatures into heatwave territory and no rain

Some parts of the UK could qualify for heatwave conditions later this week and it's not the usual suspects. No rain as water levels decline and how are the evening skies for LanuchAmerica viewing? Watch the video here

Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts
    Latest weather updates from Netweather

High pressure in the driving seat until at least the end of May

High pressure continues to dominate our weather until at least early next week, with most staying dry and fine. The warm conditions will spread north, and the highest temperatures will transfer to the west as the high moves east and eventually over Scandinavia. Read the full update here

Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts
    Latest weather updates from Netweather