Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Explosion Of Greenfly

Posted

Has anyone else noticed a large explosion in greenfly numbers? I had never seen so many in my life the other day. Walking home there must have been millions of them flying around. It was the same in the other villages not so far from me. Had a look online and found this article. Seems it wasn't just round here.

http://www.yorkshire...puts.6310534.jp

I think i better check the plants!

Edited by mark bayley

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Has anyone else noticed a large explosion in greenfly numbers? I had never seen so many in my life the other day. Walking home there must have been millions of them flying around. It was the same in the other villages not so far from me. Had a look online and found this article. Seems it wasn't just round here.

Yeah 2 days ago we had an invasion up here it was almost impossible to venture outdoors without eye protection and eating a Greggs pasty garnished with a healthy topping of green-fly was a bad idea too...!! Oh well extra protein...

Posted

Not just Green Flies but Black Flies, on Wednesday and Thursday they were insufferable.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Just the normal amount here can't see what the fuss is all about. Summer/late spring you get green fly unless it's very wet. Totally normal.

Posted

iv'e worked outdoors all my life farming,and i can honestly say iv'e never seen this amount before.started on thursday and is still going now though to a lesser extent.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Only a few here, we certainly didn't have an explosion, it makes gardening easier without the pests.#

The RSM comes out with vengeance when it gets warm though.

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

I haven't noticed an excessive number of greenfly this year, though the thought of millions of the tiny little buggers exploding in mid flight did bring a smile to my face.

Posted

No greenfly at all on my plants, looks like you northerners have grabbed them all for yourselves. :lol:

They're obviously sending them our way.....my garden seems to have become full of them overnight

Time for some chemical warfare! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Set the red spider mite onto the greenfly who will annihilate them then empty some termites onto them to eat the red spider mite.. :lol: Nice in theory.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Travelling round Sheffield and the peak district nothing out of the ordinary here. I know some people were squawking in Sheffield about invasions but the last few years haven't be good for them so I just reckon they're seeing the normal amount which they haven't seen for a while.