Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Iceland's Eyjafjallajokull Volcano - Discussion Thread

Posted

Well it seems Eyjafjallajokull is causing problems in the air throughout Europe again. Please discuss the volcanoes latest activity and it's repercussions here:

Flights in and out of Cardiff Airport to Northern Ireland and the Irish Republic have been cancelled because of a new cloud of volcanic ash. A total of six flights from Cardiff have been affected on Tuesday: Three to Dublin, two to Belfast and one to Cork. The corresponding six flights from the same locations into Cardiff have also been cancelled, said an airport spokesperson.

All other Cardiff flights are operating normally.All flights in and out of Northern Ireland and the Irish Republic were grounded from 0700 BST because of concern about ash from the Icelandic volcano.

Airspace over Scotland's Outer Hebrides was closed, affecting Stornoway, Tiree, Barra and Benbecula airports, with Campeltown in Argyll also closed. It is hoped Irish airports will reopen later. The Civil Aviation Authority said the decision to close airports followed consultation with the UK Met Office and Nats, the air traffic control service.

A spokesperson for Cardiff Airport said: "Cardiff flights to and from Ireland have been cancelled. There's no other impact on any other services, including Scotland. "Passengers should continue to check the website and check with their airline because the picture can change very quickly."

The ash cloud is from the same Icelandic volcano that brought havoc to European air travel in April.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_east/8659057.stm

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Cloud drifting back in again but several times I've wondered if there's two ash plumes. http://eldgos.mila.is/eyjafjallajokull-fra-fimmvorduhalsi/ That's if the fog clears that is.

Posted

Cloud drifting back in again but several times I've wondered if there's two ash plumes. http://eldgos.mila.i...fimmvorduhalsi/ That's if the fog clears that is.

Hi Pit. I got the chance to check the webcams just before the /cloud/fog came across again and I also saw two seperate ash plumes.

I had the vodaphone cam zoomed in on the top and it definitely looked like two seperate plumes of ash.

Edited by coldfingers

Posted
Posted

Those earthquakes are a real swarm now! 12 yesterday and another 6 today with todays being even stronger.

• Magnitude 1 to 2: 14
  • Magnitude 2 to 3: 4

http://en.vedur.is/earthquakes-and-volcanism/earthquakes/myrdalsjokull/#view=table

Posted

Flights too resume at 13:00 since tests have shown the amount of ash is safe. Well we hope it is.

Posted

Thanks for posting all the links LP:-)

Posted

lots of owner's of resturants are worried here as booking's have been low due to the last eruption..

I have been in this resort(Cala egos for 4 yrs on and off around the same period)

this is the quietest I have ever seen it.

hope this doesnt cause a nightmare again for people..

Latest I have heard is the plume is spreading south

Posted

Looks like a big hole in the glacier now with steam coming out of it.

Just how black is that ash cloud today...!

Edited by LadyPakal

Posted

How do you zoom the vodafone camera

Press ctrl, shift and +

To zoom back out ctrl, and -

To go back to normal view ctrl and 0

Posted

The glacier seems to be gone from that hanging valley. Just a bit of it left now in front of the big steam plume.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Well it seems Eyjafjallajokull is causing problems in the air throughout Europe again. Please discuss the volcanoes latest activity and it's repercussions here:

Get ready for a hot summer and a cold winter !! Reminds me of 1783/84 all over again

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laki

Posted

Very sharp drop in seismic activity (for now): http://hraun.vedur.is/ja/Katla2009/stodvaplott.html

News report - I wonder if some of the footage was taken by people in those vehicles we saw the other day. http://dagskra.ruv.is/sjonvarpid/4497981/2010/05/03/1/

Edited by LadyPakal

Posted

Suddenly the voda cam is completely clear of mist. Quick, before it comes back!

Edited by LadyPakal

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supernova hot summers with mega lightning storms, and SNOWMAGGEDON WINTERS!

looks amazing!! good.gif

Posted

Looks pretty busted up. The top of that split boulder has gone & a large amount of glacier up top.

Good view here now: http://www.simnet.is/jonfr500/earthquake/vefmyndeyjafjalmulaen.html

Is that people down there (voda cam, bottom pic, top side of the 'narrow' bit of river channel - on the river bank?

Edited by LadyPakal

Posted

She's going great guns.

As for a hot summer cold winter unless a new eruption starts and is much bigger there will be no effect on the climate.

Tremor is taking a dive so what does that all mean???

Posted

Looking at the drop in the trmor rate on these charts http://hraun.vedur.i...9/gosplott.html I thought the eruption was nearly over, but on the cams she is puffing along nicely still and will give more worry for flights, still giving off plenty of ash.

Interesting to see yet another earthquake not so long ago, a total of 19 now in this latest swarm.

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

Ooo, big lump of hot stuff coming through... :blush:

Where?

Sorry! Should have said "where please?" Didn't mean to appear abrupt or disbelieving. :lol:

With the tremor dropping so low but a swarm of earthquakes in the same time frame I wonder if she is going to settle down now, or if she could possibly be getting herself ready for another party?

She certainly needs to get herself a new white dress. B)

Edited by coldfingers