Cold?
IGNORED

General Volcanic Activity Thread!

Coast

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Nice 4d plot of the earth quakes under El Hierro I see Yamkin has beaten me to it.

You'll notice that the earthquakes haven't got any shallower overtime and in fact recently have they got deeper. The fact that they not getting shallower generally indicates that an eruption isn't imminent. Increased gas indicates what we know already magma has been injected under the volcano.

It's the depth v time plots that are the ones to watch. If start moving to the surface we could see some nice fissure eruptions like we get in Hawaii. Or it could go quiet and nothing happens or it goes quiet and then there's another injection of magma that does make the surface.

Edited by The PIT

Posted

Etna is putting on a wonderful show tonight on it's 15th eruptive episode. Really worth checking out.

http://www.radiostudio7.it/webcam.asp

that cam sometimes playing up. This one seems good.

http://www.guide-etna.com/webcam/

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

Posted

Thankd for that PIT that is one I don't have bookmarked

Thanks for your post I've been missing these outbursts by an hour or so so far. Plus I've got a few more cams to bookmark :)

Posted

Lava at Etna flowing downhill fast now. Awesome.

Thanks for your post I've been missing these outbursts by an hour or so so far. Plus I've got a few more cams to bookmark Posted Image

Yes, I only watched closely once darkness fell as someone on Jon Frimann's blog mentioned increased seismicity at Etna earlier today so I guessed we may get a good view this evening. Edited by coldfingers

Posted

Looking like it's dying down now which shows how fast you have to be to catch it.

Posted

Looking like it's dying down now which shows how fast you have to be to catch it.

Yes. it is the first time I have been lucky enough to catch it. They have to keep pulling back the camera at this cam because the lava keeps flowing out of shot as it comes down the mountain. http://www.guide-etna.com/webcam/

Posted

apparently Hekla could be the next icelandic volcano to go. this would be a fissure eruption and can be pretty impressive with huge lava fountains. hopefully the webcams will stay operational if it goes off as they are very close. here's a link, just in case it does!

http://www.ruv.is/hekla

Posted

Nice 4d plot of the earth quakes under El Hierro I see Yamkin has beaten me to it.

You'll notice that the earthquakes haven't got any shallower overtime and in fact recently have they got deeper. The fact that they not getting shallower generally indicates that an eruption isn't imminent. Increased gas indicates what we know already magma has been injected under the volcano.

It's the depth v time plots that are the ones to watch. If start moving to the surface we could see some nice fissure eruptions like we get in Hawaii. Or it could go quiet and nothing happens or it goes quiet and then there's another injection of magma that does make the surface.

Any chance for an explosive event rather than a Hawaii style eruption?

Karyo

Posted

Any chance for an explosive event rather than a Hawaii style eruption?

Karyo

apparently not. scientists have said this would be highly unlikely. they are confident this would be a slow, fissure event which is why they have not evacuated the island and think everyone can be evacuated safely and in good time if it does erupt

Posted

apparently not. scientists have said this would be highly unlikely. they are confident this would be a slow, fissure event which is why they have not evacuated the island and think everyone can be evacuated safely and in good time if it does erupt

That's what I call a boring eruption! lol

Thanks

Karyo

Posted

That's what I call a boring eruption! lol

Thanks

Karyo

never mind, keep an eye on Hekla. this one could make a surprise appearance and by all accounts it could be a pretty impressive sight!Posted Image

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Seems to be a few colvacones to keep an eye on at the moment.

Personally i am patiently waiting for Vesuvius to blow (and not one of these lava eruptions either).

Posted

Well if a vent opened where the sea could access it yes it could be fairly explosive due to the interaction of water and lava.

Vesuvius seems to have gone back to a slumber. At the moment it's in the longest period of repose since the period prior to 1631 so we may never see it erupt.

Posted

never mind, keep an eye on Hekla. this one could make a surprise appearance and by all accounts it could be a pretty impressive sight!Posted Image

Yes, that's true and we have Katla in line too!

Posted

Given that the majority of the earthquakes in the region of the El Hierro volcano appear to be to the south of the island, is there any idea yet as to the probabilities of whether any possible forthcoming eruption will be underwater rather than from any of the main vents on the island itself?

Edited by crepuscular ray

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, storm force winds

Nice little earthquake swarm kicking off again in Katlas caldera:

http://en.vedur.is/earthquakes-and-volcanism/earthquakes/myrdalsjokull/

Posted

katla is annoying me now! she keeps teasing us!

its like the ten minute freeview!

Edited by bobbydog

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Loving the vaiety

Must admit ive been an avid watcher of Katla for years even before Eyjafjallajokull blew and made everyone look at Iceland again and to totally honest she has snoozed, slept, stirred and snoozed over and over. The last 12 months have been a bit different in that she really does now seem to be in an eruptive phase (now please don't think i mean imminent, she still could be years away) especially with the small eruption that produced the jokulhlaups.

Its still very much a case of keep watching.

On the El Hierro front.. Jon has written a neat wee piece on his blog that provides a little insight into what he thinks is happening with some detailed graphics to show the 3D look of whats happening under the volcano.

Posted

mag 3.0 at Katla, 90.02% quality,

http://en.vedur.is/e...okull/#view=map

Sadly it is once again downgraded to just a 1.9 quake. Katla is determined to keep us waiting, maybe for many more months yet.

EDIT

17:09 today (Iceland time) another 3:00 quake showing in Katla caldera. This is however low quality, 66.45 instead of good quality at 99.0 so it could very likely be downgraded as the earlier one was.

Nothing much seems to be showing on Jon Frimann's helicorders apart from apparent noise so I personally would be wary of the quality on this one.

http://www.simnet.is/jonfr500/earthquake/tremoren.htm

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

another 3.0 at katla... or is it....?

nothing showing on the tremor plots yet so i suspect it will be downgraded

Edited by bobbydog