Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

General Volcanic Activity Thread!

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic Storms, Thunder & Lightning, Snow.

Posted
3 minutes ago, Dreckly said:

I think thats from just before the major eruption? is nothing left pretty much now. 

Edit: see mattys post a few posts back. 

Edited by SnowBear
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic Storms, Thunder & Lightning, Snow.
On 16/01/2022 at 10:20, SnowBear said:

I think thats from just before the major eruption? is nothing left pretty much now. 

Just added a better link to follow. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Posted

I wonder if the dust from the explosion will impact the coming winter month's weather around the world, Mnt St Helens did, and that was a similar size I think?

Posted

I wonder how this eruption will change the medium to long range forecast, surely a shock wave this big would have a huge impact 

tonga btw?

Any news From 

Edited by Mapantz
Fixed excessive whitespace

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
1 hour ago, matty40s said:

Interesting it's take part of the caldera wall away as well. Time will tell if it has now finished the present cycle of eruptions or not or whether they'll be more in the next few days weeks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle
43 minutes ago, cyclonic happiness said:

I wonder if the dust from the explosion will impact the coming winter month's weather around the world, Mnt St Helens did, and that was a similar size I think?

Mount st Helens in terms of eruption size was nothing compared to this eruption 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy
37 minutes ago, Eagle Eye said:

It's hard to compare when there's little (no) videos from nearby. Probably a good thing as anyone within 10 miles or so would likely have been killed.

• Thanks 2

Posted
49 minutes ago, Eagle Eye said:

I was thinking more that this eruption has ejected a similar amount of ash to st helens because it was mainly water vapour?  I think it must be a similar size to Krakatoa.  Maybe we'll get some cold weather now lol?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

Tonga is a mess, lots of damage but phone signals back on now.

The eruption is unlikely to affect the weather much, majority of the large cloud was steam and Sulphur Dioxide was not in a large enough or long enough volume to change things globally.....yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Amazing footage something akin to a disaster movie....Wonder how many nuclear Bombs it would need to equal that explosion.? .?? Something is definitely brewing seismic activity is definitely on the increase.....I just wondering about Yellowstone  ??? What's next.....???

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Long warm summer evenings. Cold frosty sunny winter days.
10 minutes ago, ANYWEATHER said:

Amazing footage something akin to a disaster movie....Wonder how many nuclear Bombs it would need to equal that explosion.? .?? Something is definitely brewing seismic activity is definitely on the increase.....I just wondering about Yellowstone  ??? What's next.....???

No evidence that yellowstone is anywhere near blowing 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy

I'm sure I read somewhere a few months ago that yellowstones magma chamber is only about 15% full and not all of that is molten. Unless there was a huge increase in filling then it'll be hundreds if not thousands of years before it's ready to erupt. The chances of a vei 8 eruption in any of our lifetimes is very small. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
5 hours ago, The PIT said:

Did anyone hear anything round those times. Overnight I heard what sounded like my side gate rattling but didn't check the time. If we wanted too I guess we could calculate how far away we are from each other.

1st and 2nd shock wave.jpg

Think I did hear something during the night, couldn't find anything out of place though. Sounded like rattling or scratching. Probably not related, didn't hear anything at the earlier time, but TV was on loud, and the kids were playing games.

Edited by alexisj9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
1 hour ago, jonboy said:

No evidence that yellowstone is anywhere near blowing 

But do we really know, I don't think so

Posted

From my perspective Campi Flegri in Italy (already showing signs of unrest) or Laacher See in Germany pose the more biggest risk than Yellowstone although you don't necessarily need a full-blown VEI8 eruption for Global Cooling effects to impact globally as Laki in 1783 has shown.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
1 hour ago, ANYWEATHER said:

But do we really know, I don't think so

They are pretty sure and most of magma chamber is crystalline so cannot erupt. At the moment it's subsiding so no magma being injected so not even an hint of the more likely small eruption.

Posted

Hunga Tonga-Hunga Ha'apai has a major eruption cycle every 1000 years or so. We know this from sediments.

Also from sediments, we know that the last one was about 1000 years ago, and that a major eruption cycle can have multiple eruptions, both little and large.

What we don't know, is whether this was THE big bang, or whether it was one of multiple big bangs. We don't even know how big it was... but we do know that it was phreatomagmatic, such that the bang might have been bigger than the VEI (yet to be measured) would suggest. There are a range of scenarios, and nobody knows for sure right now.

We do know that the internet is out in Tonga, their water supply is contaminated, and in lieu of full comms and the ability to fly, Aotearoa NZ currently has a P3 Orion flying over to assess the damage.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Posted

In a show of just how shakey our ability to predict these things really is (or put another way, just how little warning we might sometimes get), here's a facebook post from Jan 11th declaring the eruptive period over and the volcano dormant.

Edited by crimsone
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted
On 15/01/2022 at 21:51, Kiwi said:

I suspect my relatives in Northland may have heard it. Where are you Crimsone? Did you hear or feel anything?

Not a damn thing! 

I'm in Auckland, but at the time I was either barreling down the 16 from Ponsonby, or in Countdown desperate to get home with some kai.

• Like 1

Posted

A second large explosion was reported at 10pm Sunday (UT time) and has likely impacted the RNZAF P3 Orion recon flight which had earlier sent out to assess the damage over the islands, seems it's not over with this current eruption phase.

Edited by SNOW_JOKE
  • Like 1