Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

General Volcanic Activity Thread!

Coast

Posted

El Hierro Volcano (Canary Islands) : Official Red alert at El Hierro – people from the south evacuated to the north

sorry for the bold writing

please follow link supplied as fairly good for updates

http://earthquake-report.com/2011/09/25/el-hierro-canary-islands-spain-volcanic-risk-alert-increased-to-yellow/

you may need to refresh

thanks for all the updates folks

• Like 1

Posted

how about mt tiede on tenerife will we have to keep an eye on that should this one go up

Posted

how about mt tiede on tenerife will we have to keep an eye on that should this one go up

and aren't we also meant to be worried about bits dropping off islands, with the resulting wave taking out the east coast of the US?

Posted

Not necessarily. Whatever happens with El Hierro might reduce the chance for activity elsewhere in the Canaries, for now.

and aren't we also meant to be worried about bits dropping off islands, with the resulting wave taking out the east coast of the US?

If the doom mongers are right and the north slope of Teide went, it wouldn't be the Americans who'd be having to watch out. If it does happen, it will doubtless be the week after I finish paying off my mortgage.

Edited by crepuscular ray

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Loving the vaiety

So initial reports from El Hierro are suggesting that a submarine eruption began possibly 20 hours ago at a depth of around 1000m although they appear to be having problems in determining if this is the case.

Assumption has been made on the basis that the earthquake swarms began pushing up from depth and have been located at about 1km below the surface which given that the previous quakes had been in the 8-12km range shows the magma to have found a way to the surface.

Been watching the local tv output but sadly even my pigeon Spanish is shocking although a lot of what they are running is what if's and historic footage of other underwater eruptions.

Edited by Argyllcraig

Posted

There was a report earlier that magma had been seen on the sea floor, although as this was in the Spanish national press rather than a scientific site, that has to be taken with a pinch of salt.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

I am skeptical as to whether the submarine explosion was the main one given that earthquake activity did drop but has been increasing again and is now at 600 meters and very close to the island.

We are apparently needing a depth of about 200 meters for the island volcanic vent to go.

http://www.01.ign.es/ign/head/volcaSenalesAnterioresDia.do?nombreFichero=CHIE_2011-10-11&ver=s&estacion=CHIE&Anio=2011&Mes=10&Dia=11&tipo=1

Residents need to get out of there soon, this one could be big.

Posted

I am skeptical as to whether the submarine explosion was the main one given that earthquake activity did drop but has been increasing again and is now at 600 meters and very close to the island.

We are apparently needing a depth of about 200 meters for the island volcanic vent to go.

http://www.01.ign.es...0&Dia=11&tipo=1

Residents need to get out of there soon, this one could be big.

It's certainly the biggest so far. All the locals have been shifted; it's now down to the local gov't about whether they think they should be considering evactuating other residents from the south - and then the north - of the island.

SB, could you post a linky for why the experts say it's got to be 200m. Or is it that close to the coast that the subsea surface is about 200m (although I'm still not sure of the relationship? Confused.

Edited by crepuscular ray

Posted

11/10/2011 20:42 – Joan Martí, a researcher at the CSIC (Instituto de Ciencias de la Tierra) and secretary of the ‘Asociación Internacional de Vulcanología’ (International association of vulcanology) has stated that “As the magma approaches the coast of El Hierro, it could trigger an explosive eruption if it occurs at a depth of less than 200 metres but would not be dangerous if appropriate safety measures are taken”. It is thought that the magma could be following a fault under the sea bed which is known to run underneath the island and could currently be looking for another way to escape to the surface. Scientists have observed that the magma is currently moving towards the centre of the island.

http://www.canariesn...hquakes-update/

That quote is the 200 meter thing. I believe that if the volcano is fairly high then that level statistically indicates an eruption (i know Vesuvius is about 250).

One of the links posted on the last page has the data in regards to the depth of activity versus the sea floor. The burst of activity at 600 meters was only just offshore.

One thing of note is that the water temperature has apparently risen from 24C yesterday to 29C.

I think that with the unzipping we could well see water entering the magma chamber which could cause a very explosive eruption. We should also consider that as it has not erupted for over 200 years, statistically it is unlikely to be a simple lave eruption.

Edited by summer blizzard

Posted

I'm still confused as to what's going on, where, and what might happen in the next few days. What I am amazed about is that the scarier bits of the national media haven't yet seized on the data and predicted the end of civilization!

Posted

i see now the island has now a red alert

El Hierro Volcano (Canary Islands) : Red alert – Mr. Zapatero guarantees “everything what is needed”

Edited by tinybill

Posted

this the latest at 22.00

Current Volcanic Islands (AVCAN)

NOTE AVCAN 254 ​​- EARTHQUAKE SWARM-VOLCANIC - IRON ISLAND - OCTOBER 11 2011-22:00 h peninsular - Seismic activity remains high, with more seismicity in the last few hours and with a strong harmonic tremor signal since 4:18 h yesterday continues to increase in amplitude and strength. You are lasting a lot, scilaciones intensity. The magnitude of the earthquakes between 2.7 and 1.2. New earthquakes 12. Depths between 14 and 18km (and one at 12km and another two to 17 and 19km). The day before yesterday 69. Yesterday 31. Now go 8. A total of 10,012 earthquakes are located by the IGN from 9:00 h on July 19, 2011 (Henry).

Posted

I'm still confused as to what's going on, where, and what might happen in the next few days. What I am amazed about is that the scarier bits of the national media haven't yet seized on the data and predicted the end of civilization!

Some of the internet media has, predicting tidal waves.

To clear the confusion..

From around July, El Hierro has has a lot of earthquakes.

On the 9th Oct there appears to have been a small submarine eruption at around 1000 meters deep, 7km from the Island but still part of the volcano (large magma chamber).

The problem however appears to be that while the eruption did take some of the pressure out, it has carried on building again with magma moving towards the island along the fault. Basically if you imagine a balloon underneath the surface and at some point a pipe connecting to another balloon below it, that is what has happened as the submarine explosion sent the magma up the pipe and a little got out of the top balloon however you now have the top balloon filling up with magma (harmonic tremors) but with no way to get out and this is causing the magma to move along the balloon towards the island where there may be a chance that the island volcano could go bang.

The final update is that magma is now just offshore at 600 meters.

My opinion - VEI4/5 in less than 3 days (i strongly suspect that water could enter the magma chamber).

Posted

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Loving the vaiety

There is still not a great deal of news from El Hierro.. authorities are considering allowing residents back to collect belongings and for the fishermen to get their boats also.

The number of earthquakes have dropped back and harmonic tremors appeared to abruptly stop at one point last night which to me suggests that the magma has hit a blockage in its journey to the surface. Its not unusual for all activity to drop off before a full eruption.

There are a lot of questions as to the submarine event and whether it was a 'degassing' event as some are suggesting however its not been possible to assess the sea floor at this time.

• Like 1

Posted

Could it be picking up the activity from El Hierro?

Any news from El Hierro today?

Karyo

There have been 7 quakes today so far:

-Quake at 12:27 pm from 2.6 degrees to 13 km depth

-Quake at 9:41 pm from 2.6 degrees to 14 km depth

-Quake at 8:06 pm from 2.2 degrees to 18 km depth

-Quake at 6:04 pm from 1.9 degrees to 10 km depth

-Quake at 5:55 pm from 1.6 degrees to 20 km depth

-Quake at 5:30 pm from 1.8 degrees to 23 km depth

-Quake at 2:33 pm from 2.4 degrees to 18 km depth

Also, take a look at this

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeGds-G8sDE&feature=uploadema­il

Edited by yamkin

Posted

Posted

Within the last hour something's changed; activity's dropped like a stone.

http://www.ign.es/ig...0&Dia=12&tipo=1

I would imagine this is not a good thing, the vent has possibly become blocked and that means the magma will have to find a new way to the surface.

Yes, there has been a dramatic decrease in the tremor frequencies. It seems to have happened after a large earthquake. Apparently the tremor is clogged as magma has no where left to flow. Possibly an eruption is imminent.

http://www.01.ign.es/ign/head/volcaSenalesDiasAnterioresHora.do?nombreFichero=CHIE_2011-10-12_14-15&estacion=CHIE&Anio=2011&Mes=10&Dia=12&tipo=2&hora=14-15

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

A large spike in activity before everything went quiet

Posted Image