Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

General Volcanic Activity Thread!

Coast

Posted

The focus for the earthquakes seem to regularly shift around in the caldera, so magma may be rising in several places. I think i saw some comment on Jon Frimann's blog about the possibility of a rift eruption, although i didn't see any scientific evidence to back that up. In my own uneducated opinion, i think Katla may still be a few months away from a major eruption. Time will tell.

I hope you are wrong as this will mean an autumn or winter eruption which will have minimum impact on blocking sunlight! I hope for an eruption before the end of this summer (time is running out fast)

Karyo

Posted

I hope you are wrong as this will mean an autumn or winter eruption which will have minimum impact on blocking sunlight! I hope for an eruption before the end of this summer (time is running out fast)

Karyo

Karyo, a full blown Katla eruption is not something to wish for at ANY time. Have a read of Katla impacts from the past and you might just settle for a natural evolution of winter rather than the influence of Katla which has the potential to be a lot more devastating than "blocking sunlight"!

Joe

• Like 1

Posted

Karyo, a full blown Katla eruption is not something to wish for at ANY time. Have a read of Katla impacts from the past and you might just settle for a natural evolution of winter rather than the influence of Katla which has the potential to be a lot more devastating than "blocking sunlight"!

Joe

I know very well the potential of a large Katla eruption. If it's going to happen, I'd rather it happens in the summer to block some sunlight.

I suppose the proximity of Katla to the UK may make some people nervous but there are some much more dangerous volcanoes around the world, capable of more significant eruptions than Katla.

Karyo

Posted

"I know very well the potential of a large Katla eruption. If it's going to happen, I'd rather it happens in the summer to block some sunlight." You do, really?

As JCW said, a big Katla eruption is nothing to wish for, except that it might irritate that bloke who owns Ryanair. Any ash clouds would result in disruption to air traffic, which means rising costs for imported fruit and veg here, and goodness knows what problems for the people who live near it. There are times when I look at what people post in here and wonder whether they really do think "I want snow" is more important than people not being able to afford to both heat their homes and eat because it's so cold. Rant over.

Edited by crepuscular ray

Posted

"I know very well the potential of a large Katla eruption. If it's going to happen, I'd rather it happens in the summer to block some sunlight." You do, really?

As JCW said, a big Katla eruption is nothing to wish for, except that it might irritate that bloke who owns Ryanair. Any ash clouds would result in disruption to air traffic, which means rising costs for imported fruit and veg here, and goodness knows what problems for the people who live near it. There are times when I look at what people post in here and wonder whether they really do think "I want snow" is more important than people not being able to afford to both heat their homes and eat because it's so cold. Rant over.

A volcanic eruption today will affect many more people than 100 years ago, simply because there are more of us around now.They have shaped the world we live in and will continue to do so.

I find volcanoes (and their effect on weather patterns and climate) fascinating. The same goes with harricanes, tornadoes, snow and storms. It's what I like and I am unapologetic about it!

Time to check on Katla again...

Karyo

• Like 3

Posted

A volcanic eruption today will affect many more people than 100 years ago, simply because there are more of us around now.They have shaped the world we live in and will continue to do so.

I find volcanoes (and their effect on weather patterns and climate) fascinating. The same goes with harricanes, tornadoes, snow and storms. It's what I like and I am unapologetic about it!

Time to check on Katla again...

Karyo

Yes, they're fascinating, and there is no reason why you should apologise for finding them so, but dismissing the adverse effects they have on others seems a wee bit callous.

Oh, and what are harricanes? They sound much more vindictive than hurricanes.

Edited by crepuscular ray

Posted

Yes, they're fascinating, and there is no reason why you should apologise for finding them so, but dismissing the adverse effects they have on others seems a wee bit callous.

Oh, and what are harricanes? They sound much more vindictive than hurricanes.

At least we agree on the fascinating nature of volcanoes! Oh, and I didn't realise I need a 100% fluency in english to post here!

Karyo

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Cleveland maybe getting ready to go pop http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/07/22/us-volcano-alaska-idUSTRE76L0E420110722

Lokon gives off a rather large volcanic burp http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2011/07/18/mount-lokon-biggest-eruption-sends-scores-fleeing.html and gets the locals legging it. Nobody seems to be hurt which is good. After the blast activity has dropped a little.

Etna has another fountaining episode http://content.usatoday.com/communities/sciencefair/post/2011/07/mt-etna-erupts-with-1600-foot-fountains-of-lava/1

A nice cool video of Kilauea http://www.hawaii247.com/2011/07/21/volcano-watch-kilauea-activity-update-for-july-21-2011/

Posted

It's at 90% quality at the moment, so may get downgraded. Usually, it has to be around 99% on the website before it's "fact". Still, doesn't change the fact that Katla's rumbling away again after a brief pause today.

Edit: Someone posted this on Jon Frimann's blog, it's a scientific article on Katla eruptions, so it might be of some interest to people. Some of the science is a bit over my head but it's quite informative. It was written in 2008, so it doesn't take into account any possible effects of the Eyjafjallajokull eruption on Katla's magma chamber.

Edited by Paranoid

Posted

http://en.vedur.is/earthquakes-and-volcanism/earthquakes/myrdalsjokull/#view=map

22.07.2011 22:29:25 63.641 -19.372 1.1 km 0.9 64.59 6.0 km W of Goðabunga

another 0.9 at 1.1 km deep

only 64.59 accurate at present so may change

Posted

An earthquake swarm of 400 + earthquakes took place earlier today on the canary island of el hierro. http://twitpic.com/5um4vi

This was mentioned by one of the posters on Jon Frinman's blog.

This is the western most island in the canaries and it is believed that thousands of years ago a volcanic explosion caused a landslide and a massive tsunami. The last eruption was in the 1700s so this could be interesting!

Karyo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snow. Summer: Hot and Dry

An earthquake swarm of 400 + earthquakes took place earlier today on the canary island of el hierro. http://twitpic.com/5um4vi

This was mentioned by one of the posters on Jon Frinman's blog.

This is the western most island in the canaries and it is believed that thousands of years ago a volcanic explosion caused a landslide and a massive tsunami. The last eruption was in the 1700s so this could be interesting!

Karyo

Well lets hope that doesn't kick off hey. A massive tsunami and European, African and Americas coasts will probably be the most devastating disaster of all time.

Posted

Well lets hope that doesn't kick off hey. A massive tsunami and European, African and Americas coasts will probably be the most devastating disaster of all time.

The tsunami was caused thousands of years ago! The most recent eruption (about 300 years ago) didn't cause a tsunami or a major disaster.

Karyo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snow. Summer: Hot and Dry

The tsunami was caused thousands of years ago! The most recent eruption (about 300 years ago) didn't cause a tsunami or a major disaster.

Karyo

Theres a chance it could cause a landslide thought so I rather it didn't erupt.

Posted

Theres a chance it could cause a landslide thought so I rather it didn't erupt.

That's true and several other islands in the canaries such as Palma and Tenerife, have unstable slops/volcanic structures.

Karyo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

http://www.floodwarn.co.uk/iceland_katla_volcano.htm

katla and hekla webcams

also harmonic level for katla

which at present looks like it is rising

http://hraun.vedur.is/ja/oroi/god.gif

First impression this morning is. It is looking like Katla will try again now the way the HT is looking at GOD, the graphs went up and sustained.

Next couple of weeks I guess.