hope this helps

http://www.volcano.si.edu/reports/usgs/

interesting info about nabro here

http://www.volcano.si.edu/reports/usgs/index.cfm?content=maps#indonesia

with all the quakes we keep getting this is useful to see what

volcanoes are near to them

Edited by john pike

Posted

We have the first picture of the volcano! http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-app/reports?ARCHIV=0&LANG=en&MENU=207&FILE=your.txt&DAY=20110617

It's from yesterday's eruption and they say the plume mainly consisted of water vapour and SO2. No plume can be seen today from the satellite.

Karyo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Long warm summer evenings. Cold frosty sunny winter days.

I see just over an hour ago there was a 5.5 quake in ethopia a sign of more activity

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow

I see just over an hour ago there was a 5.5 quake in ethopia a sign of more activity

I think thats the biggest one so far - I wonder if this is a sign of something dramatic to come?

Posted

I think thats the biggest one so far - I wonder if this is a sign of something dramatic to come?

This is also mentioned in the Irish weatheronline http://www.irishweatheronline.com/news/earthquakesvolcanos/nabro-volcano-erupts-again-friday-following-moderate-quake/20220.html

which also states that the volcano has now erupted again! However, there is still no sign of a plume on the satellite which I find puzzling...

Karyo

Posted

http://www.emsc-csem.org/Earthquake/seismologist.php

shows more info about erithea (nebro)

and other areas

http://earthquake-report.com/2011/06/17/kamchatka-volcano-erupts-in-russia/

looks like kamchatka volcano in russia has erupted

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

So 2 VEI4 eruptions in the space of a month (Ethiopia and Chile).

Given the length of time Nebro has been dormant, i think that we can expect a bigger one.

Posted

How long a volcano is dormant isn't always directly linked to eruption size. The eruption of Chaiten a few years back was a VEI 4 and that had been dormant for around 9000 years. However, Nabro is capable of producing large eruptions. The eruption that formed its current caldera looks like was around VEI 6 (20-100 km^3 of material), so it at least has the potential for large eruptions. Doesn't help that our knowledge and monitoring of Nabro is limited due to its remoteness.

Seems to have been a fair few large eruptions this year, we also had Grimsvotn last month which was a VEI 4 too.

Edited by Paranoid

Posted

Is it confirmed that Nabro was/is a VEI4 eruption?

It had a notable eruption on Sunday and a secondary yesterday but I didn't think it would be classed as VEI4. The Chile volcano on the other hand has been erupting almost constantly since June 4th, although it seems to have quieten down since yesterday.

Karyo

Posted

Tell you what... the poor wildlife!!!!

as you can see very pretty lake... http://en.wikipedia....huel_Huapi_Lake

and now all the ash....

http://www.liveleak....=ce9_1308179554

http://www.youtube.c...=mfBpJTK27t4

Edited by lfcdude

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

Iceland...Katla looks bad on Earthquakes atm. I think there is going to be an eruption.

Posted

Interesting, the largest quake was on the flanks of Katla although most of activity is pretty much in the centre of the caldera. Katla's had a few earthquake swarms since Eyja erupted last year, so it may not signify an imminent eruption but as has been said before, Katla is "overdue" for an eruption. Also i don't think the tremors were as strong as these were, so will be keeping an eye on this.

Posted

not seen activity in katla like that before, i could have missed it but i check pretty much every day. it doesnt mean its going to erupt but its definitely unusual activity as far as my own observations go

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

Interesting, the largest quake was on the flanks of Katla although most of activity is pretty much in the centre of the caldera. Katla's had a few earthquake swarms since Eyja erupted last year, so it may not signify an imminent eruption but as has been said before, Katla is "overdue" for an eruption. Also i don't think the tremors were as strong as these were, so will be keeping an eye on this.

They have downgraded them now just 4 left

Friday

17.06.2011 17:29:16 63.710 -19.351 0.1 km 2.1 90.01 7.4 km ENE of Básar

Friday

17.06.2011 17:29:16 63.700 -19.247 1.1 km 3.1 90.02 6.7 km N of Goðabunga

Friday

17.06.2011 17:29:14 63.641 -19.144 0.1 km 2.0 99.0 5.2 km E of Goðabunga

Friday

17.06.2011 17:10:53 63.636 -19.131 1.1 km 2.1 79.77 5.9 km E of Goðabunga

Maybe no this time after all. I must admit when I checked the site http://en.vedur.is/earthquakes-and-volcanism/earthquakes/myrdalsjokull/#view=table the most noise I have noticed for months in and around Katla greeted my eyes, how exiting was my first thought :rolleyes: Jon Frimann said that a Harmonic tremor pulse in Katla volcano had been noticed the other day on his site, I think we are heading towards an eruption, the reason because that Harmonic tremor pulse in Katla volcano is a sign. When is the question, just guessing, (not scientifically of course its not my vocation) within 1 month. But also just guessing, because of those noises just out of nowhere the next 24 hours is most dangerous IMO

Jon has just said "possible dike intrusion in the Katla caldera". That's dangerous enough, eruption risk is high with Katla, I think the Volcano is very sensitive to this sort of thing, it could start it off.

Edited by Rustynailer

Posted

They have downgraded them now just 4 left

Friday

17.06.2011 17:29:16 63.710 -19.351 0.1 km 2.1 90.01 7.4 km ENE of Básar

Friday

17.06.2011 17:29:16 63.700 -19.247 1.1 km 3.1 90.02 6.7 km N of Goðabunga

Friday

17.06.2011 17:29:14 63.641 -19.144 0.1 km 2.0 99.0 5.2 km E of Goðabunga

Friday

17.06.2011 17:10:53 63.636 -19.131 1.1 km 2.1 79.77 5.9 km E of Goðabunga

Maybe no this time after all. I must admit when I checked the site http://en.vedur.is/e...ull/#view=table the most noise I have noticed for months in and around Katla greeted my eyes, how exiting was my first thought :rolleyes: Jon Frimann said that a Harmonic tremor pulse in Katla volcano had been noticed the other day on his site, I think we are heading towards an eruption, the reason because that Harmonic tremor pulse in Katla volcano is a sign. When is the question, just guessing, (not scientifically of course its not my vocation) within 1 month. But also just guessing, because of those noises just out of nowhere the next 24 hours is most dangerous IMO

Jon has just said "possible dike intrusion in the Katla caldera". That's dangerous enough, eruption risk is high with Katla, I think the Volcano is very sensitive to this sort of thing, it could start it off.

Hi Rusty, I also think Katla is now at high risk of an eruption but how soon remains to be seen. As others have said it is overdue. There is also the link of it frequently following Eyja, add to that the harmonic tremor yesterday, the increase in quakes today and also the fact that the other recent eruption in the Grimsfjall volcano could very well have destabilised things enough to trigger Katla. It will be an interesting few days for volcano watchers I think.

One more thing, a blogger on Jon Friman's site mentioned a few days ago about a stronger than normal smell of sulpher as he drove past, or over, the river draining from Myrdalsjokull the glacier covering Katla. Perhaps another indication of increased geothermal activity or even volcanic activity in Katla area.

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

Hi Rusty, I also think Katla is now at high risk of an eruption but how soon remains to be seen. As others have said it is overdue. There is also the link of it frequently following Eyja, add to that the harmonic tremor yesterday, the increase in quakes today and also the fact that the other recent eruption in the Grimsfjall volcano could very well have destabilised things enough to trigger Katla. It will be an interesting few days for volcano watchers I think.

One more thing, a blogger on Jon Friman's site mentioned a few days ago about a stronger than normal smell of sulpher as he drove past, or over, the river draining from Myrdalsjokull the glacier covering Katla. Perhaps another indication of increased geothermal activity or even volcanic activity in Katla area.

a couple more quakes

Posted ImagePosted Image

Time and magnitude of earthquake 17 Jun 21:05 GMT

Posted Image

Edited by bobbydog

Posted

hi john, already got him bookmarked :good:

Time and magnitude of earthquake 17 Jun 21:40 GMT

Posted Image

all in the same spot - almost dead centre of the caldera

Posted

hi john, already got him bookmarked :good:

Time and magnitude of earthquake 17 Jun 21:40 GMT

Posted Image

all in the same spot - almost dead centre of the caldera

hi bobbydog

these quakes are like you say right in katla

i think that if we get a few more bigger ones

there an eruption is possible.

with the activity lately i would not rule it out.

Posted

hi bobbydog

these quakes are like you say right in katla

i think that if we get a few more bigger ones

there an eruption is possible.

with the activity lately i would not rule it out.

It would certainly be interesting to get 3 Icelandic volcanoes erupting so close together, both geologically and chronologically close. I have watched Iceland since Eyja started and she has certainly provided a good show in the space of a year +

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

i haven't seen this before, activity in Prestahnukur volcano

Posted Image.Langjökull - earthquakes during the last 48 hours

(Preliminary results)

Earthquake location 18 Jun 08:20 GMT

Posted ImagePosted Image

Time and magnitude of earthquake 18 Jun 08:20 GMT

Posted Image

oo- err!

Time and magnitude of earthquake 18 Jun 08:30 GMT

Posted Image

Posted

Interesting article about the possible climatic effects of the recent volcanoes (especially the Puyehue-Cordon Caulle).

This volcano seems to have calmed down now and no plume from Nabro either despite yesterday's earthquake.

Karyo