Cold?
IGNORED

General Volcanic Activity Thread!

Coast

Posted

Very interesting I have been watching this myself and I see there has

recently been another 4+ earthquake.

Posted Image

It certainly is interesting, I have watched this on and off since this morning and thought it would all fizzle out again after a couple of hours. Got it wrong again! It increased rather than decreased with now in excess of 400 quakes in the past 18 hours. Interesting stuff but then I did read somewhere that this area hasn't had an actual eruption for around 700+ years which means no-one knows how long before that the previous one was. Could be due for some action and hopefully as Argyllcraig mentioned it will be a Hawaiian style eruption so not destructive.

Apparently at least 3 or these quakes have been felt fairly strongly in Reykjavik.

Edited by coldfingers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Loving the vaiety

Indeed Coldfingers, the local press in Reykjavik has been reporting the tremors and that the land has visibly moved in places along the ridge.

It will be interesting to see if an eruption takes place as has been noted the last eruption was around the 13th or 14th century i believe.

i for one will certainly be stuck viewing the data coming through for a wee while Posted Image

Posted

Indeed Coldfingers, the local press in Reykjavik has been reporting the tremors and that the land has visibly moved in places along the ridge.

It will be interesting to see if an eruption takes place as has been noted the last eruption was around the 13th or 14th century i believe.

i for one will certainly be stuck viewing the data coming through for a wee while Posted Image

Ah thanks for that additional info from the Icelandic press. I did see a few Icelandic press sites mentioned but google translate is more of a giggle than a real tool for me. I am not very good at reading around what the translation actually means. Must be getting old. Not too old to enjoy another eruption if it should happen though and this one I could gloat over without worrying about upsetting people who were flying as it is not likely to be an ash problem.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Loving the vaiety

Seems things are starting to calm down on the Reykjanes ridge this morning with the earthquakes subsiding.

So far there have been over 800 quakes around Krisuvik volcano with several over mag 3 with the strongest being around 4.1 which was felt in the capital.

Whilst not entirely unusual for this area, the shear focus and ongoing nature of the seismic activity could signal magma moving within the fracture zone.

will be worth keeping a eye on to see how it develops or whether things continue to quieten down.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Posted

Some changes in the Eruption of Kilauea yesterday. First of the crater of Pu u'o o collapsed yesterday as lava drained from beneath the crater. Time lapse video here

The drainage of lava was due too a new fissure eruption upstream in the middle of the east rift zone. Details here http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/hvo/activity/kilaueastatus.php

The fissure also caused a drop in the lake at summit of the volcano and a collapse around the lava lake http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/kilauea/update/images.html

Posted

Japan’s Shinmoedake volcano unleashes violent explosion

Posted on March 13, 2011 by The Extinction Protocol

March 13, 2011 – JAPAN – A volcano in southwestern Japan erupted Sunday after nearly two weeks of relative silence, sending ash and rocks up to four kilometres (two and a half miles) into the air, a local official says. It was not immediately clear if the eruption was a direct result of the massive 8.9-magnitude earthquake that rocked northern areas Friday, unleashing a fierce tsunami and sparking fears that more than 10,000 may have been killed. The 1,421-metre (4,689-feet) Shinmoedake volcano in the Kirishima range saw its first major eruption for 52 years in January. There had not been any major activity at the site since March 1. Authorities have maintained a volcano warning at a level of three out of five, restricting access to the entire mountain.

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

Be quick folks a very good video of Erta Ale here http://bigthink.com/blogs/eruptions/ well worth watching.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Are we expecting any activity from Yellowstone yet?

No nothings changed sitting their doing what it normally does although uplift seems to have stopped.

• 4 weeks later...
Posted

Etna has been busy this week http://bigthink.com/blogs/eruptions/ if you're lucky you may get the video to work.

Posted

After a brief quieter period of a several days Tungurahua is revving up again. This could well be worth watching in the next few days as magma seems to rising in the edifice so another set of major explosions could be on the way.

Posted

Looks like things starting to wake up in Iceland very big swarm currently in progress including greater than mag3

Edited by masheeuk

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Oh why today?

Now Harold Camping will have an excuse!!! :/

Posted

Look at that ash cloud now: http://live.mila.is/jokulsarlon/

From a bit of grey on the far left, it is now almost covering the whole horizon.

This is really impressive! I wish we could see the top of the plume! Hopefully, we'll be able to see lightning there soon! :-)

Karyo