Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Iceland's Eyjafjallajokull Volcano

Coast

Posted

Please use this thread to discuss the on-going situation with Iceland's Eyjafjallajokull volcano

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Could be interesting to see how bad things get (providing the eruption continues) when the winds become more direct later this weekend and early next week. Forget, raining, snowing etc...it could be Ashing albeit mostly invisibly. :lol:

The disruption for airlines is going to continue way into next week and the lasting effects taking even longer. May be a brief window of opportunity for most flights to continue later tomorrow before winds turn NW'ly bringing much of the Ash our way.

Edited by Blizzards

Posted

Perfect clear skies here with some high level cloud. Curious dirty haze in the distance around the horizons but that could be city pollution. Lots of dust blowing about but it has been very dry here for ages now and dust would be blowing about normally in these conditions. Waiting to see if tonights sunset has anything nice to show me...

Posted

Can definitely detect an eggy, sulphurous smell in the air here in south Lincs... went out shopping and the said eggy smell is on my skin and hair...

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Could be the first case of pre-gritted snow for Scotland next week.

Some Chemical analysis http://www.earthice.hi.is/page/ies_Eyjafjallajokull_eruption

and more chemical analysis http://www.earthice.hi.is/page/IES-EY-CEMCOM

Perfect clear skies here with some high level cloud. Curious dirty haze in the distance around the horizons but that could be city pollution. Lots of dust blowing about but it has been very dry here for ages now and dust would be blowing about normally in these conditions. Waiting to see if tonights sunset has anything nice to show me...

There is a dirty haze to my south and east but I'm pretty sure that is just Glasgow's muck.

I have heard people today going on about dust on cars, nothing at all to do with the fact that it has now been dry since a week past on Tuesday which is 10 days. So you would expect some dust to be blowing about. Although I suppose it is nice to think it is volcano dust.

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

I can smell it here too. It's yukkie...!

I have seen only one aircraft today. This is, obviously, very unusual for this area

as Farnborough airport is just down the road and gets busier every year. An aircraft

took off from there this morning about 1000. That is the only one I have seen or heard

all day. Yesterday, all aircraft from LHR stopped at about midday. Haven't seen any

'copters either today. Very quiet...

Almost eerie.

A guy on the radio said the last big blast from this mother lasted on and off for 18 months.

Great!

Wonder what the sunset will bring tonight?

Andy

Posted

There is a dirty haze to my south and east but I'm pretty sure that is just Glasgow's muck.

I have heard people today going on about dust on cars, nothing at all to do with the fact that it has now been dry since a week past on Tuesday which is 10 days. So you would expect some dust to be blowing about. Although I suppose it is nice to think it is volcano dust.

I'm nothing if not down to earth about these things. *wink* It's just normal everyday dust, nothing special, and normal everyday pollution.

Edited by LadyPakal

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Just had a helicopter fly over. Flew at a Lowish height though nothing too low.

Might just be haze but against the clear blue sky but there is a light brown/orange tint to the sky in the distance.

Posted

http://www.dailymail...ng-Britain.html

Pictures of true volcanic ash in Sheffield. Extremely small amounts though!

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

Apparently ash has fallen in Sheffield so that was the dust on my car. I wondered if it was.

Posted
  • Location: Coleraine,Macosquin,County Londonderry, Northern Ireland
  • Location: Coleraine,Macosquin,County Londonderry, Northern Ireland

Just had a helicopter fly over. Flew at a Lowish height though nothing too low.

Might just be haze but against the clear blue sky but there is a light brown/orange tint to the sky in the distance.

aye i see that here too and there is actually a orangy dust on my mothers car here too.. it wasnt there last night im certain! maybe the dust is scattered by the wind around the place?

Edited by frostyjoe

Posted

Can definitely detect an eggy, sulphurous smell in the air here in south Lincs... went out shopping and the said eggy smell is on my skin and hair...

it's easter you will lol.

Posted

I've seen a helicopter and a light aircraft fly over today, presumably below the affected 18,000ft elevation. I did think that if the airspace was closed then nothing was allowed to fly, but that would ban things like hot air balloons and skylights.

Waiting to see if there's a nice sunset this evening or not.

Posted

I'm nothing if not down to earth about these things. *wink* It's just normal everyday dust, nothing special, and normal everyday pollution.

The dust on my car is silvery brown with sparkly bits in it and looks a bit different to the normal stuff (that's blowing down the street!) Essentially I think there is a small amount of volcanic dust around. Will we get a nice sunset though that's the question

?

Posted

Here's an interesting if slightly scary quote!

BBC environment correspondent David Shukman:

Icelandic volcanoes tend to erupt for long periods, says our correspondent. How long the current one will continue is difficult to say, but it could continue for days, even months. When the volcano at the Eyjafjallajoekull glacier erupted two centuries ago, it went on for eighteen months, he adds.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8624464.stm

Posted

The dust on my car is silvery brown with sparkly bits in it and looks a bit different to the normal stuff (that's blowing down the street!) Essentially I think there is a small amount of volcanic dust around. Will we get a nice sunset though that's the question

?

No real dust on my car that I've noticed - too windy here. Suns almost there and the skies are nice and clear. I think it might be a nice one - it has that feel to it.

Here's an interesting if slightly scary quote!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8624464.stm

Not so much considering our prevailing wind direction. More of a pain for those in Iceland having to live with it.

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Not so much considering our prevailing wind direction. More of a pain for those in Iceland having to live with it.

Exactly! Though we are at the mercy of the upper wind direction and the prevailing SW'erlies haven't been prevailing these last 4-5 months or so. Though there fortunately are signs winds will back SW'erly later in the new week. Not looking good before at least Thursday though.

Posted

Ah well sunset nothing special so far.

Posted

Ah well sunset nothing special so far.

Starting to get some nice colour here - like a developing poleroid. Seen better ones here tho', without a volcano to help.

LOL

Captured someone on camera! I have copyright to this, mwhahaha!

Very good! Dids you see it earlier when the lahar was coming down?