Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Incredibly Low Maxima In Unbroken Strong March Sunshine!

Posted

-4C last night, +4C today, currently -1C.

Have to say it was an unusual sight to see frost lying at lunchtime in the shade. I can't remember many other occasions this happened in March.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Well I've now passed a new record minimum for here with regards to minima in March. My previous record minimum was -05.3C on both March 01st 2004 and March 04th 2006 but last night it fell to -05.7C! That is unusual for March - especially considering it's lower than anything I recorded in February.

The only times I have recorded a maximum of 5C or less with sunshine a feature were either when there was snow on the ground or there was a strongish wind from a cold source. Today however had none of them. :acute:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards,Hot Thundery nights.

Hung the washing out today with frost in the shade all day,and by 17:00 it was bone dry ! just shows how dry the air is.

Posted

Though maxes today have been cold and generally have been all week, its nothing unusual, this is still the first week of March, we've only just left Feb when maxima of 0 degrees can still be quite common, its a bit liking being shocked with maxima aove 25 degrees in the first week of Sept which often do occur.

We've had lower maxima in recent Marches such as in 2006 and potent northlies even at the tail end of March can easily deliver maxima of 1-2 degrees and well into April.

Perhaps it doesn't seem quite right to be recording maxes of 3 degrees under brilliant March sunshine, whilst the sun is gaining strength, any flow from a still very cold continent with low dewpoints and very dry air is not going to be tempered by the sun.

Posted
  • Location: Coleraine,Macosquin,County Londonderry, Northern Ireland
  • Location: Coleraine,Macosquin,County Londonderry, Northern Ireland

Though maxes today have been cold and generally have been all week, its nothing unusual, this is still the first week of March, we've only just left Feb when maxima of 0 degrees can still be quite common, its a bit liking being shocked with maxima aove 25 degrees in the first week of Sept which often do occur.

We've had lower maxima in recent Marches such as in 2006 and potent northlies even at the tail end of March can easily deliver maxima of 1-2 degrees and well into April.

Perhaps it doesn't seem quite right to be recording maxes of 3 degrees under brilliant March sunshine, whilst the sun is gaining strength, any flow from a still very cold continent with low dewpoints and very dry air is not going to be tempered by the sun.

were is this continential air is it just england and wales?

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

13th March 1845, Greenwich recorded a maximum of just -4C and the following night a minimum of -10.5C

Values notable for January let alone mid-March.

Good to see a bit of perspective. Certainly nothing incredible about my max of 6.1c.

Anyway tonight does look like being notably cold for March, currently -4.4c, I guess -9c would be a pretty cold night for March. The very low RH and very dry ground here should see it around that by dawn.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Certainly a notable cold snap for many, more so for the low minima than the low maxima, but at the same time, not exceptional for this early in the spring. The first weeks of Marches 2001 and 2006 were often colder than this over most of the country.

What is unusual about this instance is that it's associated with high pressure rather than a full-on blast of cold air like in the 2001 and 2006 cases.

Posted
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom
  • Weather Preferences: cold winters, cold springs, cold summers and cold autumns

Certainly a notable cold snap for many, more so for the low minima than the low maxima, but at the same time, not exceptional for this early in the spring. The first weeks of Marches 2001 and 2006 were often colder than this over most of the country.

What is unusual about this instance is that it's associated with high pressure rather than a full-on blast of cold air like in the 2001 and 2006 cases.

It seems like the current sunny and cold scenario is the result of the Arctic High ridging south.

Also these cool anticyclonic spells are not exclusive to the winter and spring months. They can also occur in the autumn and summer months like August 1993.

Edited by Craig Evans

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Over night low of -1.4c in weston with a low dewpoint of -4.9c

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Yesterdays max wasnt anything strange for march at 4.9c however a lot lower than the met offices 7c-8c.

At present 91 days since the last double figures. Today should make it 92 days.

Posted

Max of +3.5c yesterday - which is my lowest ever March maxima (records from 2003)

This morning fell to -5.9c which is my 3rd lowest March minima and the latest date on which temp has fallen below -5c

Posted

Its funny how these things work out. Anyone remember February 2008? That was incredibly sunny with the kind of clear skies and unbroken sunshine we have currently enjoyed. However maxima got as high as 16C for Manchester and that was the 12th of February. Yesterday was 10C colder even though it is 3 weeks later in the calendar than the 12th of February and the sun is obviously higher and stronger. Shows how much impact different airmasses can have.

Edited by Mr_Data

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Who's moaning exactly?

You need to read the thread ?

Anyway

March 2010 for Bicester where I live we have following mins

-5, -4, 2, -6 ,-7,-3,-6

Now let someone say for minima 1806 was colder so nothing special type stuff?

Edited by stewfox

Posted

Anyway tonight does look like being notably cold for March, currently -4.4c, I guess -9c would be a pretty cold night for March. The very low RH and very dry ground here should see it around that by dawn.

Or may be not so cold! Temperature stabilised after midnight, min -5.5c was unremarkable for March really.

Had colder already this month down to -7c last week.

Anyway

March 2010 for Bicester where I live we have following mins

-5, -4, 2, -6 ,-7,-3,-6

Now let someone say for minima 1806 was colder so nothing special type stuff?

I doubt that those are really so unusual in early March. We are barely a week out of February when -10c is easily achieved. March can get minima virtually as cold as in any winter month, for example March 7th 1947 when -15.6c was recorded in Covenrty.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold winters, cold springs, cold summers and cold autumns

Its funny how these things work out. Anyone remember February 2008? That was incredibly sunny with the kind of clear skies and unbroken sunshine we have currently enjoyed. However maxima got as high as 16C for Manchester and that was the 12th of February. Yesterday was 10C colder even though it is 3 weeks later in the calendar than the 12th of February and the sun is obviously higher and stronger. Shows how much impact different airmasses can have.

Indeed Mr Data it all depends on the airmasses. The high from February 2008 was warm and sunny due to an early Continental Tropical air plume:-

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/2008/Rrea00120080212.gif

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/2008/Rrea00220080212.gif

Whereas the current high is cold and sunny due to its Continental Polar air origin from the North Pole similar to the very cold March 1962:-

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/1962/Rrea00119620316.gif

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/1962/Rrea00219620316.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Or may be not so cold! Temperature stabilised after midnight, min -5.5c was unremarkable for March really.

Had colder already this month down to -7c last week.

I doubt that those are really so unusual in early March. We are barely a week out of February when -10c is easily achieved. March can get minima virtually as cold as in any winter month, for example March 7th 1947 when -15.6c was recorded in Covenrty.

wallbash.gif

Find me a weather station within 100 miles of Bicester that has a colder over night start to March in the last 100 years.

I bet you can't list more then 5 years.

If it's not unusual find me 25 years when we have had colder nights at the start of March and Ill eat humble pie.

Ps a 'one off night' is not providing the answer

pps 6 weeks ago it was January and ...

Edited by stewfox

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Last couple of nights been -5c here by the East Coast pretty incredible compared to recent winters.

Posted

You need to read the thread ?

I read the thread and saw no moaning from anyone - except yourself. If you're going to disagree with what's being said, at least spare us the straw man rhetoric.

I would say the low maxima are unusual but they don't strike me as "incredible". If we're still recording such maxima towards the end of the month, then that would be truly exceptional.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Well I woke up to go to work to find it was -8.0c and then quickly lost interest when I realised I had to change a flat on my car in it! wallbash.gifcold.gif

very cold what ever time of the year it is in my books.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snow. Summer: Hot and Dry

Has been a very cold start to March. Temperture slipped down to -8.2c here asmorning with severe frost with very low dewpoint my weather station doesnt give me dew but in Cardiff-Wales airport it was of -10c /-11c at 2pm today. Some year this is turning out to be!

check this graph out for mins this year. Coldest on record so far.

post-7495-12680643966155_thumb.gif

Edited by Wales123098

Posted

Considerably milder here today, currently 9C at Manchester Airport after a surprising low of -7C this morning. Quite an impressive diurnal range really.