Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Incredibly Low Maxima In Unbroken Strong March Sunshine!

Some incredible maxs today with 3C in some midland, southern and eastern areas of england in unbroken sunshine since dawn, that really is special for March 7th in that strong sunshine, i mean it feels like a cold mid winters day, we should keep a record of this day just to show to people who say it can't get cold in March like in mid winter, i recorded -12C in a nearby valley very early this morning :cold:...Never known anything like this, its a really noteworthy weather event just like 20C in the first week of March.

Please post your maxs and mins here, temps should drop like a stone in the next few hours.

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-bin/cgiaktgraph?ART=karte&LANG=en&JJ=2010&MM=03&TT=07&TIME=1500&TYP=temperatursyn&KEY=MID&TIME=1267974763

I've just recorded 3.7C as a high on my digital thermometer today and its not in an ideal spot for temp readings so you could take some of that :cold:

Posted

My overnight Min was -4.8c, and its the 6th night in the last 7 with an air frost. Max today 5.1c. DP's are worth a mention too, my lowest today was -5.6c.

Alh this under a stunning clear blue sky, tempered by a nagging Northerly breeze.

Posted
  • Location: Coleraine,Macosquin,County Londonderry, Northern Ireland
  • Location: Coleraine,Macosquin,County Londonderry, Northern Ireland

why haven't we got this all last week we had -6 to -8c mins but the maxes were well up at around 8c... like today...girl_devil.gif is the continential air not reached... as i am only seeing the cold dps coming now though they are cold -4c at 7c air temp!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

-2.5c min here (which is on the very cold end of the range for my city centre in a dip location). Only managed 5.4c max at 1246 and now 4.2c falling. So yes indeed - some very low temps under such clear blue skies. Dew point is down at -6.4c too so some very dry air around. Expecting -3c or below tonight as it's clearer and we're starting from lower max than yesterday.

Posted

I don't think it is anything out of the ordinary the temps we are seeing, it is normal to see low Max's in March, although not particularly common. We are pulling in alot of cold surface air from the continent which is expected to bring low temps. Currently 5.1c (6.1c in low lying ares) with a low of -5.7c.

Edited by 10123

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Max here today of just 5.3C, currently 5.1C with the dew point at 0.2C. Min last night was just -1C but the few nights before that was closer to -5C.

The weather base station is on the windowsill in the sunshine and is recording 36.9C so the sun is plenty strong here!

Posted

If you look at the low temp table Biggin Hill is at 2c -well it has reached 2.2c today and is now falling despite brilliant sunshine. 1.6c now . Those max temps are very unusual and maybe because of this cold winter the goalposts have been moved. In some of the mild winters we have endured 2.2c would be considered a very cold day even in mid-January :cold:

Posted

March 2006 gave a day of wall to wall sun and a max of 1.4c max here.

Today 2.5c max was the coldest march day since this date,which was 2.3c and snow grains.

Rrea00120060317.gif

Min of -6.1c last night and tonight could looks very similar.

http://www.wzkarten.de/pics/Rtavn1817.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

cold dew points and dry air made it feel very chilly, frost remained all day in some places, min -4.7C max 8.4C, nut because of minus dew points frost remained

Posted

I don't think it is anything out of the ordinary the temps we are seeing, it is normal to see low Max's in March, although not particularly common. We are pulling in alot of cold surface air from the continent which is expected to bring low temps. Currently 5.1c (6.1c in low lying ares) with a low of -5.7c.

"I don't think it is anything out of the ordinary the temps we are seeing" - is this a wind-up quote?!

It's March, there's been absolutely clear blue skies here from dawn to dusk and the temps have not gone above 5 celsius! That's cold for early Feb, let alone early March! It's cold, believe me, it's cold for this time of the year!

Posted

13th March 1845, Greenwich recorded a maximum of just -4C

A value notable for January let alone mid-March.

The daily CET for that date was -6.5C! We haven't had a colder day in any month since January 1987.

Groningen (Netherlands) recorded -21C on the 14th.

Edited by AderynCoch

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

max of 2c today

min was -6.9c this morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds

Min of -4.6C last night and temperature peaked at 4.9C this afternoon. No sign of Spring just yet. Trees are late blossoming too, hardly surprising given the cold winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

2c now sun just gone down around -5C tonight

For those who are saying its not the coldest in 200 years the thread isnt about that go moan somewhere else

Posted

it fell to to minus -7.1 here in the early hours and a high of 3.5. while washing the car this morning at 11.00am the water froze on the drive,and stayed frozen all day. looks like it may get even colder tonight. currently - 0.8. Frost stayed on most fields out out of the sunshine. :acute:

Posted

2c now sun just gone down around -5C tonight

For those who are saying its not the coldest in 200 years the thread isnt about that go moan somewhere else

Who's moaning exactly?

Posted

"I don't think it is anything out of the ordinary the temps we are seeing" - is this a wind-up quote?!

It's March, there's been absolutely clear blue skies here from dawn to dusk and the temps have not gone above 5 celsius! That's cold for early Feb, let alone early March! It's cold, believe me, it's cold for this time of the year!

I think you are been a bit OTT, its early march and it really isn't that un-common. Just because it is spring doesn't mean we can't get low Max's, some people have flicked the switch from winter to spring straight away, its like saying "you can't get cold weather its spring". On the 28th March 2009 there was a max of 4.5c and no one made a fuss, and on the 26th March 2008 there was a max 4.4c. It really isn't out of the ordinary.

Edited by 10123

Posted

i agree with M B, i can not remember the last time tempratures here reached double figures, my old cheap weather station has recored 8.2 one day but it has been months since it reached 10c. Quite staggering really, becauce over the last few years ( ignore the even larger teapot era theme)

there has always been some winter days that reached 11 to 14c with odd year getting over 15c. :acute:

Posted

I think you are been a bit OTT, its early march and it really isn't that un-common. Just because it is spring doesn't mean we can't get low Max's, some people have flicked the switch from winter to spring straight away, its like saying "you can't get cold weather its spring". On the 28th March 2009 there was a max of 4.5c and no one made a fuss, and on the 26th March 2008 there was a max 4.4c. It really isn't out of the ordinary.

Did i quote anything about it being "uncommon"? No.

And i never said "you can't get cold weather its spring". So why are you quoting when no one has actually said it?

It's been cold today for early March here in BTL; it's not common for this time of the year.

And i never make "a fuss" - it's the weather - other things in my life are very much more important than weather and temperatures! Thankfully!

Posted

Some incredible maxs today with 3C in some midland, southern and eastern areas of england in unbroken sunshine since dawn, that really is special for March 7th in that strong sunshine, i mean it feels like a cold mid winters day, we should keep a record of this day just to show to people who say it can't get cold in March like in mid winter, i recorded -12C in a nearby valley very early this morning ohmy.gif...Never known anything like this, its a really noteworthy weather event just like 20C in the first week of March.

Please post your maxs and mins here, temps should drop like a stone in the next few hours.

http://www.weatheron...TIME=1267974763

I've just recorded 3.7C as a high on my digital thermometer today and its not in an ideal spot for temp readings so you could take some of that ohmy.gif

It got down to -6 here last night and the max today was 3. In the shade the ground has been rock hard and still frosty all day. rolleyes.gif

Posted

The maximum temperature here today was 3.2C, making it the coldest in March since 1996. The record low max in this location in the last 28 years is 1.5C, so its not far away from that.

The minima was -3.2C, so a mean of 0.0C. Pretty impressive for so late in the season here.