Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Rain Radar For Mobiles

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms storms and more storms

Are there any plans for rain radar support for mobiles?

It would be great to have a few frames sent out as a loop for UK regions so I could check for rain when I am out and about with my Smartphone.

I use the Met Office rain radar on my PDA - it's a little clunky and doesn't loop as such but handy to check.

Posted

Are there any plans for rain radar support for mobiles?

It would be great to have a few frames sent out as a loop for UK regions so I could check for rain when I am out and about with my Smartphone.

Raintoday do an app for the Iphone ,you can try their website to see if there is anything for your phone.

Posted

Hi, we do have a static mobile friendly radar already available within netweather extra, plus the v5 radar (beta version currently) is also mobile friendly - particularly if you have a smartphone :o

Thanks for the replies.

I have contacted Raintoday to see if they do a Blackberry version of their app.

Netweather extra, plus the v5 radar does not show any radar images on my phone. I can see all the sliders etc but no map.

To work well on a smartphone you really need a cut down version to save the smartphone doing all the work rendering a very large page.

In an ideal world it would take the GPS info from my phone and display a zoomed in radar image for my location.

I have a weather app that does this but it only gives me the local temp and forecast from the nearest weather station.

edit I would be very willing to pay for a function or app like this.

Edited by oliverb

Posted

Smart phone apps are something we have planned, but there's no eta yet unfortunately, particularly for blackberry (iphone and android will come first).

Have you tried the mobile friendly version of v4 - that includes fixed zooms etc and should be compatible with pretty much every phone?

In terms of offering a cut down version, that's also something that's on the way - particularly within v5. Interesting to hear it's not working on your phone, as I've seen it work on a blackberry as well as iphones and android based phones. It may be worth you downloading the opera mini browser for your phone as I think you'll find it will improve compatibility with quite a lot of sites, including netweather:

http://www.opera.com/mini/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Smart phone apps are something we have planned, but there's no eta yet unfortunately, particularly for blackberry (iphone and android will come first).

Have you tried the mobile friendly version of v4 - that includes fixed zooms etc and should be compatible with pretty much every phone?

In terms of offering a cut down version, that's also something that's on the way - particularly within v5. Interesting to hear it's not working on your phone, as I've seen it work on a blackberry as well as iphones and android based phones. It may be worth you downloading the opera mini browser for your phone as I think you'll find it will improve compatibility with quite a lot of sites, including netweather:

http://www.opera.com/mini/

Are there plans for a cut down version of all main parts of the site? I am a Blackberry user and the home page uses a lot of data compared to sites such as BBC.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Yes, definitely.

Brilliant, looking forward to that.

• 2 weeks later...

I have made a mobile weather page for my Blackberry and have added output from my Meteohub Weather Server , Weather Underground Monthly reports for my Weather Station, my Weather Cam and a Rain Radar loop page from Meteox.com .

There are example images here of how it looks on my mobile Mobile Weather example

This is the actual page Mobile Weather page

The rain radar loop can be seen by clicking on "RAIN RADAR" it seems to work very well on my Blackberry. edit just added a 2nd link so I can see rain from the West or East

You can change what part of the map is displayed by editing the link on your web site eg http://www2.buienrad...597&lon=-0.1935 just change the lat and lon in the link

I have just changed the latitude here to show Northern France http://www2.buienrad...597&lon=-0.1935

Would be great if netweather made a simple radar loop like this available to members.

Edited by oliverb